Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spacebound82

If Accutane doesn't work, what else is there?

As I understand it, accutane is the "be-all, end-all" treatment for severe acne, or less severe acne that otherwise won't go away with any other treatment method. But if a person goes on accutane, and even that doesn't work (and they've tried everything else under the sun), what other options do they have at that point? This is not my personal situation (yet, anyway), but I've spoken to a few people who've faced this sort of thing, and they said they were basically told by their derms that they had no other alternatives at that point, except to just live with it and "hope they grow out of it with time". Is this true??

Nothing else, especially if you're a male, who can't use hormonal approaches to treating acne.

However, Accutane eventually clears almost everyone while they're on it. But often people relapse post-treatment.

Edited by biggs881

accutane period. I asked my derm the same thing cuz ive been on it for 6months and havent noticed much results at all but he keeps telling me this will work and hes NEVER had a patient not get cleared after a 150*KG treatment of accutane.

Nothing else, especially if you're a male, who can't use hormonal approaches to treating acne.

However, Accutane eventually clears almost everyone while they're on it. But often people relapse post-treatment.

accutane period. I asked my derm the same thing cuz ive been on it for 6months and havent noticed much results at all but he keeps telling me this will work and hes NEVER had a patient not get cleared after a 150*KG treatment of accutane.

lol I'm actually a petite female...but yeah, that's pretty discouraging to hear. :( I've been on accutane for about 10 weeks now, and have seen improvement in my skin everywhere except my problem areas (on the jawline and neck). Actually, the rest of my face is virtually spotless now, but I never had major breakouts in those areas before anyway; just mainly along my jaw. And this worries the hell out of me, cuz I'm scared it's not gonna actually clear up these areas, which was the entire reason I started tane in the first place... :(

Edited by spacebound82

What is your dose and weight?

My standard answer: Accutane takes months to work, during which time your skin's condition may fluctuate greatly and regularly.

Only start getting concerned if you are still have significant acne 4-5 months after your first pill. Until then pimples are not uncommon.

Good luck.

Edited by biggs881

What is your dose and weight?

My standard answer: Accutane takes months to work, during which time your skin's condition may fluctuate greatly and regularly.

Only start worrying if you are still have significant acne 4-5 months after your first pill. Until then pimples are not uncommon.

Good luck.

I'm 5'2, about 125lbs, and was originally on 40mg a day for the first 2 months, but my derm upped it to 50mg a day just last week (which I'm on now).

Anyways, thanks for the feedback...guess I'll just keep waiting for now... =/

Edited by spacebound82

The other thing you can try do is just keep experimenting with diet changes and various topicals. The only problem with this is that it can take years to see results, as there's no one thing that works for everyone and for a lot of people it can be the oddest things that you wouldn't think of that determine whether or not they work.