Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hellotoeverybody

Distance between meals

I searched for this topic, but I didnt find any threads about it. We all know that digestion is linked up with acne. And then its natural that if you improve your digestion, its also high chances you reduce your acne.

There has been many popular threads on this forum about digestion, f.ex the thread about not drinking while eating, because you then dilute your enzymes or something.

However, this thread is about keeping distance between the meals. The theory is quite simple - if you let the food digest and move from your stomach before new food entering, the first food eaten will digest better. So if you let it pass around 4 hours between the meals (depending of what you eat, but 4 hours is a good set-up) your food will pass out of your stomach without beeing disturbed by new foods. I've had great success, maybe you want to give it a try as well?

The important thing is to really keep 4 hours between the meals, which means no snacking, and preferably only water. If you find it is too difficult, I suggest you to reduce the amount of carbohydrates, and increase the protein level as protein-rich foods keep you full longer. Good luck

Edited by hellotoeverybody

It depends on what you've eaten too. For instance, fruit digests extremely fast. So I sometimes have a fruit smoothie as the first part of my breakfast, wait a few minutes and then have my eggs. This never causes indigestion because fruit just absorbs so quickly that it's basically on the way out by the time my tummy goes to work on those eggs.

But see the eggs will take a few hours to digest as they are a rich, sturdy protein. So if I were to eat the eggs first and then the fruit, the fruit would sit there fermenting in my tummy and causing a lot of problems such as gas and irritating my digestive track.

So rather than feeling pressured to wait hours between every time you eat something (you might get hungry doing this or not get enough calories in all day), what you can do is just learn a better ORDER in eating. Every day I do fruit in the morning followed by heavier food as the day goes on. I try to have my big meal in the early evening so it has plenty of time to digest as the night goes on and then when I fall asleep, I am not hungry but I'm not stuffed either. It's best to let nighttime rest your digestive track and not eat a ton before going to bed.

GOOD F*CKING INFO on here.

Now i know to eat my piece of fruit before my meal. I usually reserve a green apple or mango or some piece of fruit for after my meal, which is usually, steamed sweet potatoe pieces, avocado, broccoli, and chicken.

Tonight i'm going to eat, hard boiled eggs, with sweet potatoe chunks, avocado, and broccoli, but i should have my piece of fruit first correct>>?

what about if i were to eat almonds, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds?? should i eat those prior to the aforementioned meal or afterwards>>>

and in the morning i usually do a green smoothie, but sometimes i only do 16 ounces of that so i also have oatmeal, of the gluten free steel cut kind, should i eat the green smoothie first or the oatmeal??

i'm guessing the green smoothie first.

hmm always wonder when to get my green smoothie (usually 3 glasses). Always feels kinda bad to take it with anything else. Fruit just takes enough space and I already had enough water and stuff. And protein especially meat or eggs also dont feel like the right thing. Should I give my green smoothie time first? (and more than 15mins?)

Unless a person is a diabetic, it is best to not snack and only eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (dinner is optional). Snacking between meals ‘distracts’ your digestive system. If you snack, your digestive system has to process two different meals at different points in your body. Seeing food particles in your stool can be a sign of improper digestion.

Snacking also stifles hunger. Hunger is a GOOD thing. I’m not saying to starve yourself, but you should be HUNGRY before you eat a meal. If you are not hungry, your body does not want you to eat.

When I wasn’t well, I was never hungry. I would get the point where I would feel lightheaded but my stomach would not growl. I spaced out my meals and stopped snacking and my hunger steadily came back.

Also, eating meals at the proper time is also important. It is best to eat breakfast an hour after rising (at first, let you hunger guide this), lunch around noon, and dinner before 6pm. I do understand that not everyone can have this schedule, but try to get as close to it as possible.

By the time 12:00pm comes around, I’m hungry and my stomach is starting to rumble. I eat a nice sized meal slowly and I try to avoid distractions. Eating should be a task in and of itself. Watching TV, surfing the web, and even reading can distract your mind and body from the task at hand.

Avoid drinking a lot during a meal. If your meal is a bit dry, you may sip warm water, but limit it to only a few ounces. You do not want to dilute your digestive secretions. I cringe (on the inside ;)) when my boyfriend chugs his ice cold Coke with his meal. He has very strong digestion and seems to handle it, while if I did that, I would be bloated for hours.

So true, you just feel better really light and energetic. If I eat my 3 meals a day plus dessert after dinner (doesn’t have to be chocolate lol) at around the same time everyday then my digestion is brilliant. This may sound odd but I like building up an appetite and feeling just a little hungry before I eat dinner, add to that I almost always exercise before dinner stomach exercises crunches etc.

Eating out it may get a little late which might not be so good but far worse is when I wake up late and have breakfast at lunch time.

FRUCK! i just ate breakfast right now...

about 22-24 ounces of a green smoothie and 10 almonds. I just finished those almonds about 5 minutes ago and i don't plan on eating again til at least 3:45.

I'll be drinking at least 20 ounces of water around 1:35-140.

for my next meal, i plan on eating oatmeal, gluten free steel cut, or should i have a "real meal" as in avocado, sweet potatoe, eggs, and broccoli? or should i save that last "real meal" for the evening, being the last meal of the day>???

FRUCK! i just ate breakfast right now...

about 22-24 ounces of a green smoothie and 10 almonds. I just finished those almonds about 5 minutes ago and i don't plan on eating again til at least 3:45.

I'll be drinking at least 20 ounces of water around 1:35-140.

for my next meal, i plan on eating oatmeal, gluten free steel cut, or should i have a "real meal" as in avocado, sweet potatoe, eggs, and broccoli? or should i save that last "real meal" for the evening, being the last meal of the day>???

Lunch, which should be eaten around noon, should be your largest meal of the day. Dinner should be smaller because you do not want to eat a large meal before resting and going to sleep.

so, i should eat the of half a cup gluten free steel cut oatmeal last, for dinner, then??

eat the fish or 2 hard boiled eggs with avocado, sweet potatoe chunks, and broccoli as the lunch meal, correct?

i'm just wondering if i should switch up the meal order>> eating the oatmeal last as my dinner instead as my lunch>>??

From the what you have told me, the oatmeal seems like the best meal for dinner. :)

Do you normally eat the same food everyday?

Edited by vegangirl

As far as I know eating 5 smaller meals is healthier. Lower GL per meal. Lower impact on acne, lower chance of getting diabetes etc... and of course way easier to do.

Edited by joris

what about if i have oatmeal and around 12 ounces of a green smoothie, which one should i consumer first? the green smoothie?

yeah i normally eat the same foods every day>>> that being a green smoothie, then chicken with steamed sweet potatoe pieces, broccoli, avocado, and a piece of fruit and lastly oatmeal or another piece of chicken with aforementioned sides including boiled plantain pieces>>

but i try to limit those as i have found out that they are highly inflammatory.

also have almonds or a some sort of seeds after the meals, altho i wonder if it's best to eat them first and eat them after ??? any suggestions or thoughts.

thanks for the HELP so far.

so, i should eat the of half a cup gluten free steel cut oatmeal last, for dinner, then??

eat the fish or 2 hard boiled eggs with avocado, sweet potatoe chunks, and broccoli as the lunch meal, correct?

i'm just wondering if i should switch up the meal order>> eating the oatmeal last as my dinner instead as my lunch>>??

I've seen a lot of advice pro having oats as a pre-bed snack, so if that's the case, dinnertime would be a good time. This is because Oats are a good source of tryptophan. But I think it's best to get tryptophan early in the day. It has to first be converted to seratonin (which makes you feel better), triggered by bright light (get outside), then it will later be converted to melatonin to help you sleep when night falls and light dims. Of course, you are getting tryptophan in the complete animal proteisn you are having for lunch.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2576850

As far as I know eating 5 smaller meals is healthier. Lower GL per meal. Lower impact on acne, lower chance of getting diabetes etc... and of course way easier to do.

Agreed. Eating small, frequent meals is the way to go. This silliness about putting "distance" between meals is nonsense.

Agreed. Eating small, frequent meals is the way to go. This silliness about putting "distance" between meals is nonsense.

May I ask why it is silly to eat 3 meals a day?

Idiosyncratic inflammation in the body can be temporarily alleviated by diet, but that is not necessarily the cure. General inflammation is a symptom of the second stage of toxicity overload in the body.

Checking stomach acid production, low mineral reserves, food allergies, leaky gut, etc. will lead a person to the cause of the inflammation which causes acne.

You can eat an anti-inflammatory diet and somewhat keep acne under control, but if you stop eating anti-inflammatory and your acne comes back, then you are not dealing with the core issue of your inflammation.

If you do not treat your inflammation, it will start to affect other parts of your body, such as your bowel, urinary tract and joints.

As I have stated before, this is not a suggestion for a diabetic or someone who medically needs to eat often. But for people who are having issues with digestion and even have idiosyncratic inflammation can use this eating pattern to improve their health.

There are also many other cultures and medical systems that recommend this pattern of eating. Ayurveda is especially specific about how many meals to eat (3 or less), what time during the day to eat and how to combine food. Traditional Chinese Medicine also emphasizes eating only 3 meals a day.

I also have personal experience with this technique and it was one of the simplest and effective change I made to improve my digestion.

Intermittent fasting is about as good as you can get towards optimal health. That means, 2-3 meals a day with a period of fasting after. This is only really optimal to people of a certain degree of health. If you need to improve your digestive function, take some digestive aids and if you have any other problems, look at resolving them before you take IF'ing up.

I am big into lifting so I eat around 6 normal size meals a day about 2 hours apart each meal. Eating several smaller meals a day rather than 2 large meals keeps your metabolism up just so you know. There is a lot of literature out there arguing to eat more meals a day and there is also a lot of literature out there saying to only eat a couple larger meals. Basically its what your wanting to do with your body in my opinion. If you are lifting then eat more meals, if you dont care then do what your body tells you (eat when your hungry), if you're trying to lose weight more smaller portioned meals throughout the day is probably the better option. Basically it is up to what the persons goals are and the reason they eat.

I am big into lifting so I eat around 6 normal size meals a day about 2 hours apart each meal. Eating several smaller meals a day rather than 2 large meals keeps your metabolism up just so you know. There is a lot of literature out there arguing to eat more meals a day and there is also a lot of literature out there saying to only eat a couple larger meals. Basically its what your wanting to do with your body in my opinion. If you are lifting then eat more meals, if you dont care then do what your body tells you (eat when your hungry), if you're trying to lose weight more smaller portioned meals throughout the day is probably the better option. Basically it is up to what the persons goals are and the reason they eat.

This is wrong. Fasting actually speeds up the metabolsm; http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-f...s-debunked.html

So confusing you always get these 2 sides on this.

But my main problems with eating only 3 meals are: resisting to snack and being able to eat enough veggies.

But my main problems with eating only 3 meals are: resisting to snack and being able to eat enough veggies.

Haha! There are very few things on this site where there aren’t two sides! 

It’s not too difficult to get enough into your meals as long as you make sure you coordinate your meals and macronutrients properly. It’s even more difficult for me because I have food allergies and I’m also a vegetarian.

For example, for lunch today I have about 3 ½ cups of Brussels sprouts, brown and wild rice, carrots, onions, mung beans and tempeh all mixed together with a bit of ghee and celtic sea salt and some other spices. I have my grain, vegetables, greens, starch, healthy fat, and a bit of protein. If it is easier, start with a grain or starch, add a green or hearty vegetable and then add things that you like. Variety is key, especially if you are a vegetarian or have a restricted diet.

It really just takes practice. As for snacking, at first, snack only on fruit. Fruit digests better on its own and will help you ease out of your snacking habits. Also view slight hunger as a good thing. You should be HUNGRY before you eat. Your stomach should growl a bit. If you rarely feel hungry, only weak, you may have some issues with your digestion.

Edited by vegangirl

Your body will adapt after literally a day or two, its pretty cool. If you keep to a shedual e.g. break the fast at midday, finish eating at 8 at night, you will literally start getting hungry at exactly midday. Then you sleep for atleast 8 hours, then you only have to fast for 4 more hours before you can stuff your face.

You also get used to eating large meals and what you found hard to eat before becomes a breeze after a small amount of time.

day or 2? Im trying to eat less for months now and its still hard. I think its just a bit easier for you. 1hour after dinner my hunger starts again! Its so annoying.

day or 2? Im trying to eat less for months now and its still hard. I think its just a bit easier for you. 1hour after dinner my hunger starts again! Its so annoying.

Well, i'm not eating less, i'm eating 500kcals over maintainence everyday :D If your hungry all the time maybe your just not eating enough?

im gaining weight... Ok maybe it can be mainly contributed to my cheating sometimes which can be really a lot of cals. But still wouldnt a normal body get less hungry following overeating?

Edited by joris