Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CharlotteNC

erythromycin, clenia, & benzaclin

I finally went to DR yesterday. She wrote RX for Erythromycin 333 mg (taken 3 times per day), Clenia cleanser, and Benzaclin gel. Has anyone been on this combo?

I went the the MedlinePlus on the National Institute of Health website and it says not to use Benzaclin if you are using Erythromycin. The doctor also told me to take the Erythromycin with food and the NIH says to take it on an empty stomach.

I haven't filled my perscriptions yet. I am kind of wondering if it is worth bothering with. bb_eusa_wall.gif

Your doctor is an idiot. Yes, it should be taken on an empty stomach to enhance absorption...as with all macrolide and tetracycline antibiotics. I don't know if you can use those topicals while on it, you might want to check the prescribing information.

Agreed. Definately need to wait about 30mins to 2hours after your meal. I think the only time you should be taking your erythromycin with a meal is when you recieve stomach cramps if you take it on an empty stomach..

Erythromycin + Benzaclin...Hmm.

Benzaclin = Benzoyl Peroxide + Erythromycin. I think it's %5 and %1...don't quote me on that it's been awhile.

I'd think the only reason why you shouldn't be taking both the oral and topical erythromycin is because it's redundant. Your doc doesn't know much and/or doesn't care, you should probably call him on that BS

Print out the website info and tell him he's wasting your time.

If I were you I'd just use the Benzaclin.

So I shouldn't be taking the Erythromycin on an empty stomache then..is that what your all saying? Sorry, but my instructions said that I should, but if taking it on an empty stomache will make it work better, then I guess I will...

Someone pls explain how it works on an empty stomache? Kthxlol.

Apparently you can obtain different types of erythromycin, some need to be taken with food others dont. Just read the medication lables, and barring that ring your doctor and ask him what you should be doing.

Ive been on it two or three weeks now at 1000mg a day, whcih is a lot and i cant take it so ive stopped, i get horrible stomach cramp (irrelevant of when i take it and how i take it) and i get diarraeohea (why invent that word when no1 can spell it!!). Its a horrible drug, not sure if it works, i just wish i could try something that would work and not make me feel so dirty all the time!!!

I talked to the pharmecist. He said to take a cracker or part of a piece of bread with erythromycin if it upsets your stomach, but it is better to take it on an empty stomach if you can stand it. He thought it was unusual to be taking erythromycin orally and using benzclin topically at the same time, but he didn't see any harm in it. The clenia cleanser has not arrived yet. They had to order it and it did not make today's delivery.

My package of benzaclin says to keep it in the refrigerator, and that it is good for ten weeks.

Maybe I am imagining it, but benzaclin gel seems to be working already! I put it on last night for the first time and then again this morning. My skin is looking better. The blackheads on the side of my nose are way better. Some have disappeared and the rest have shrunk. It does not make sense that this stuff would have made changes so soon, but I am willing to accept miracles. bb_eusa_pray.gif

Benzaclenz ALWAYS works. Its very hard on the skin though and sometimes increases the chances of scarring...

I tried that stuff when I was younger and it made my skin unbearably dry and scaly.

Increases the chances of scarring! I don't want that! I am going to watch this stuff really carefully for a few days. My face feels tight. The directions say not to put anything else on the skin, but I put on some oil-free moisturizer.

The Clenia cleanser came in and I used it for the first time tonight. It looks like it cleans out pores very deeply. Some of the blackheads that shrunk down from the benzaclin turned into open pores after the clenia.

The pharmecy had no experience with Clenia. He thought he was misreading the doctor's writing until he called wherever their central stocking place is. I hope the stuff is just new.

My skin feels soft, even if it is tight. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

ive been on erythromycin for two years and if i ever took it on an empty stomach i would puke my brains out.

My face is clear! Yes, there is a small red blotch on my chin where a big pimple came up before I started on this regimine, because I picked the thing. There are also a a couple very small light marks from other blemishes, and there are some blackheads still on the sides of my nose. All the other mess is gone! I can put a little bit of cover-up on that red mark on my chin and maybe dab some on the tiny little marks, and I could go out anywhere and not have anyone stare at me! Hooray! It has been so many years that I would not go out of the house without makeup. I swore that if the house caught fire during the night, I would run for makeup or I would fry! I don't have to do that any more.

To figure out how long this took, I started the erythromycin and the benzaclin the night of August 26. The clenia arrived the night of August 27. Three days, maybe four days!

I think the blackheads will go away, too. The ones further up my nose have gone but left big pores behind. It is the ones closer to the nostrils that are still hanging around.

BTW, I am eating a little with the erythromycin.

I don't know what part of this regimine is responsible for my improvement, but I am glad it happened. I am so happy! I wanted to post this in case anyone else wants to try these products.

Well guys, I must have a pretty strong stomache or something, because mine tells me to take it with food (it's not a sticker on the pillbottle, butit ccame witha standard brochure that said to take it with some light food) but I decided maybe you were right and it would absorb better on an empty stomache. I have been taking 1000mg a day and have had no problems...

It would really suck tho if you guys said that taking it on an empty stomache renders the medication ineffective...it can't be can it? dry.gif

Yus, I have been using it with some clindoxyl gel at night, but in the morning, I don't know what to put on my face. I wash it, but I find halfway through the day it's really oily and I think that might give me more problems later on pimple wise...any suggestions?

Make sure you come back and let us know how it's going in a few weeks or so, ok? I was thinking about trying Benzaclin, but wasn't sure.

Three days is, in my opinion, a little too soon to declare victory but, like I said, I've never been on that particular med before so I could be wrong!

Glad to hear you're pleased w/it thus far, though!

Yeah, I do realize I might be celebrating early, but it is hard not to get really excited. The change has been dramatic. I will get back right away if things get worse, but I will also get back if I stay clear.

Sherman, I have been using Cetaphil sometimes before I wash with Clenia, because Cetaphil is so gentle. You might want to try Cetaphil if you feel a little oily between your regular wash times.

Clenia's instruction say to make sure your face is clean, and then to wet your face and work the clenia into a lather for 10-20 seconds before you rinse it off. So even if Clenia is called a "cleanser," you have to be clean before you start to use it.

On the really good side, I did go out yesterday with only a tiny bit of coverup. I figured I would let the rest of my skin breathe. It was wonderful! I was able to get ready in a couple of minutes instead of all that time it used to take me.

my regimen....

proactiv scrub, clenia, proactiv toner, tazorac in the morning and benzaclin at night.

I been using tazorac with the proactiv for the past 2 years with decent results but never like now. Clenia and the benzaclin are definetly doing the extra i have always been looking for, i am truly amazed. ALMOST went on accutane but decided to something new, thank god. If u been using tazorac and u are not quite satisfied with the results, try my regimen IT WORKS! My face is very sensitive and oily and i am hardly peeling and very little shine, pores r cleaned out and the cysts have stopped.

Progress report: Still looking good. No new blemishes of any kind. The few spots I have from old blemishes are fading, but there will still be traces of them for a while longer. The blackheads on the sides of my nose are slowly receding, too. I sure wish the empty pores they leave behind would shrink! I have a few tiny either milia or mini-whiteheads on my forehead that have been there for years. They are less obvious, but no one except me would ever see them any way. I have one scar; maybe it would be called a small boxcar? It is rectangular and indented and blue. It has faded some more, but it will never go away without some sort of other treatment. It is right in the smile line and ends up looking like a blue dimple when I do smile.

I am still really impressed with what this combination of products has done. I have been putting a little of that Perricone stuff on my nose pores, dusting on some powder and running out the door. No elaborate makeup routine any more! smile.gif

The dermatologist did give me a sample of Neutragena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer. It says on it "light * medium sheer hint of color" and SPF 30. I threw it in the drawer when I got home and forgot about it. Over the holiday weekend, I found it and tried it. I started smearing it on before the powder. So far, it has not caused any problems and it does make me look a healthier and keeps my skin from feeling so tight.

I will post again in a couple of weeks.

I use the Clenia wash and Benzaclin "gel." The Benzaclin does not look like a gel. It is white and I would call it a cream. The label still calls it "gel."

my regimen....

proactiv scrub, clenia, proactiv toner, tazorac in the morning and benzaclin at night.

I been using tazorac with the proactiv for the past 2 years with decent results but never like now.

i am using the clenia sulfer wash, its beyond awesome, it makes my skin feel so smooth. i use the tazorac gel .1 during the day because it is strong enough to keep me from breaking out in most of my face except for a 3 trouble spots which the benzaclin takes care of now. the benzaclin is strong and i think should only be used at night. sometimes i get really dried out but it is when i been using the benzaclin like a whole week in a row so i give my skin a break like 1 or 2 days then go back for another session. the tazorac i love because it helps me peel away the dead and or damaged skin to reveal newer healthy skin underneath. it peels but not to the point where people notice anything, only i notice at night when i take a shower and i am washing my face with the proactiv scrub cuz i see some dead skin on my finger tips. i dunno what else to tell everyone other than to try my regimen.

proactiv scrub - washing with it cleans dirt and dead skin which clog pores

clenia wash - not drying and gets rid of oil and bacteria

proactiv toner - DEEP cleans pores better than anything out there but u ABSOLUTELY mush use cotton pads not balls (thats what the lady on the hotline said when i was ordering) the reason is that i noticed pads deep clean wayyy better than balls cuz the pads have more compacted cotton and r tougher so when u press down firmly and swipe, u r able to get closer to the skin than with a ball.

tazorac - i use gel cuz i dont like the oily shine from the cream. if u got any marks, this will help them peel away and reveal newer younger skin underneath. u will only peel ALOT if u got madd pimples and blemishes but was u clear up, there will be less "bad" skin to peel away so eventually u hardly notice any peeling. use this during the day or nights when u dont use benzaclin.

benzaclin- great great stuff, contains the best of both worlds, BP and clindamycin which is a antibiotic, helps against the bacteria i guess. anyway , feels real smooth and kinda soothing when u put it on cuz its like lotion. helps dry up any pimples u got and if u feel ur face getting to dry, give it a break and go back a few days later. i love that it doesnt need refrigeration and i can keep it in my room with all my other stuff cuz at night before going to sleep i dont have to go all the way to the kitchen when im dead tired.

i am super pleased with the results im getting and its becuz i added clenia and the benzaclin to my regimen. i strongly urge u guys to try it if u tried everything else with so so results. i was always "almost clear" i would always tell myself if i stick to my regimen within 1 month i will be perfect, BUT i would always get a break out and i was back to the begining hoping for something different to happen. now with the newly added meds i havent broke out in 1 month. i am on my way to celebrity skin without accutane. BEWARE tho, the benzaclin has an initial break out because i was being dumb and i put some on my forehead, a place i have NEVER gotten a single zit and which is basically flawless skin, and i got a cyst. a week later i got 1 cyst on my cheek, a spot i have not gotten anything in 1 and a half years thanks to the tazorac. i almost quit that day but i kept faith and now things r wonderful. sorry for the long post but i hope my experience helps at least 1 person out. i have been trrough many trial and errors and this is the only regimen that i have gotten the optimal results i always craved.