Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hifanzhi

Can retin-A and AHA do some help for my scar?

hi,everyone,i'm form China,maybe my English is not very good,but I really really very need some helps.I have boxcar scar on my face,there are so noticeable and some are deep.I do glycolic and retin-A,can they work for scars?thanks

It depends what kind of scars you have. Do you have true atrophic acne scars, or just discoloration issues?

If you just have discoloration issues, then yes using retin-A then glycolic acid (aha) on alternate days could help.

If you have true deep atrophic scarring , then topicals will do very little for the actual craters. You would have to use 1 percent retin-a or tazorac for a very long time to even see a slight improvement.

I would say use glycolic acid in the morning, then retin-A or tazorac at night. There are conflicting reports that if a retinol/retinoid and glycolic acid are used at the same time, that no benefit is seen because the glycolic acid might break down the retinol/retinoid. For this reason, don't apply at the same time, use one in the AM, the other in the PM.

For real acne scars I would say look for other options, topicals will do very little.

Edited by sanjoseskin

YES,I have both atrophic scar and redmarks,and the discoloration issues make the atrophic scar looks worse.Do they really help?Without the redmark,can the atrophic scar looks better or less noticeable?Help me,please.I hope you can understand my bad English!

YES,I have both atrophic scar and redmarks,and the discoloration issues make the atrophic scar looks worse.Do they really help?Without the redmark,can the atrophic scar looks better or less noticeable?Help me,please.I hope you can understand my bad English!

Yes, when discoloration goes away the scar looks better.

You need a glycolic acid product that is potent, at least 10% glycolic acid. Be careful for products that say 20% glycolic "compound." Many of the Md. Forte and Vivite products use the term "glycolic compound." You really don't know how much glycolic acid you are getting when it a compound. So stick with products that state the actual percentage for the glycolic acid itself, and not the compound. That is kidna confusing I know. MD. Forte, Vivite are great products though, but for the money Alpha Hydrox the one in the red bottle is fantasic. Google neoteric cosmetics.

So again, use the glycolic acid in the AM then the retin-a or tazorac in the PM, or visa versa.

I would start off using these products every other day for 2 weeks, to let your skin get use to it, otherwise you may get very red and irritated.

Retin-A and tazorac should be applied 20-30 mins after washing your face, very important to let your face dry the full 20-30 mins.

What does the glycolic acid peel help with? Does it help with the redness or also the atrophic/rolling scars?

Yes, when discoloration goes away the scar looks better.

You need a glycolic acid product that is potent, at least 10% glycolic acid. Be careful for products that say 20% glycolic "compound." Many of the Md. Forte and Vivite products use the term "glycolic compound." You really don't know how much glycolic acid you are getting when it a compound. So stick with products that state the actual percentage for the glycolic acid itself, and not the compound. That is kidna confusing I know. MD. Forte, Vivite are great products though, but for the money Alpha Hydrox the one in the red bottle is fantasic. Google neoteric cosmetics.

So again, use the glycolic acid in the AM then the retin-a or tazorac in the PM, or visa versa.

I would start off using these products every other day for 2 weeks, to let your skin get use to it, otherwise you may get very red and irritated.

Retin-A and tazorac should be applied 20-30 mins after washing your face, very important to let your face dry the full 20-30 mins.