Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agoff

Attn: Accutane Users ?????

Going into treatment with Accutane. Was it oily or dry?? I am wondering how people with dry skin do on Accutane. My guess would be that those ppl with dry skin have a lot worse time with the Accutane than ppl with oily skin???

My daughter has an Oily to normal T-Zone, but the rest of her face is dry and also she seems to have thin skin. This is what worries me about Accutane. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

My skin was just normal..not excessively oily, maybe slightly on t-zone area but nothing that ever bothered me.. Now im on accutane my skin is very flaky on regions there is active acne and fine elsewhere.. not that much difference on the oilyness/dryness front but then im only on week three, very low dosage!!

Hope this'll help you but not sure if it will!

Foc

I'M REALLY AFRAID OF THIS BECAUSE I HAVE REALLY DRY SKIN. LIKE IT'S FLAKY AND I'M NOT ON ACCUTANE!!! MAYBE I'M DRYING IT OUT WITH TOO MUCH SOAP, PROACTIV AND JUNK. NOT SURE. BUT I'M SCARED THAT IF I GO ON ACCUTANE IT WILL DESTROY MY FACE. HELP.

Guardedly- Yeah that is what I was inquiring about. Are you moisturizing? If not you definitly should moisturize. She keeps her skin balanced right now by moisturizing a lot, but I was worried if she takes the Accutane it might really wreck her skin.

Right now she is on Benzaclin am and pm. Was on Dan's Reg for about 10 or 11 weeks and it did not stop the cysts she gets monthly. She has been trying Benzaclin for about 4 weeks now , so far she hasn't had any new cysts in about 3 weeks. I am hoping this will work for her, but if not I am considering Accutane.

HEY: YEAH, I HAVE SUPER DRY SKIN AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I COULD STILL HAVE ACNE???

I HAVE CYSTIC ACNE TOO!!! ANYWAY: WHAT IS BENZADAMICIN? I'M TOTALLY SPELLING THAT WRONG BECAUSE I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE PRODUCT YOU SAID IN YOUR POST. IS IT PRESCRIPTION? I'M VERY WORRIED TO GO ON ACCUTANE. IN FACT, I'VE NEVER BEEN SO TERRIFIED OF ANYTHING IN MY LIFE BEFORE CONSIDERING THIS.

I MEAN, DNA TRANSCRIPTION??? THAT'S HEAVY STUFF. IT ALTERS DNA TRANSCRIPTION!!!

Benzaclin- It is 5% BP and 1% Clindamycin(topical antibiotic) The derm prescribed Retin-A at night and Benzaclin in the AM. My daughter had gotten her face adjusted to the BP on Dan's Reg and didn't want to try the Retin A Micro until she tried this regimen first. I just hope it keeps on working. All she gets now are the cysts (usually 4 -6 at a time, once a month). I am just hoping the Benzaclin works this month and she dosen't get the cysts.

Right now her face is clear of active acne other than 2 cysts that are about half the original size and just keep hanging on, can't seem to shake them and lots of red marks.

If your daughter can handle benzaclin I'm sure she won't have troubles with Accutane. Benzaclin is pretty harsh on the skin as well. Just rememeber she'll need to moisturize a lot, use chapstick all the time, and if you're worried her skin may be too sensitive then beware that if it becomes inflammed (very unlikely) to stop the medication immediately. But you know this, I'm sure you've researched it.

She could also take the dose in small amounts. I'd recommend about 20mg a day. It's very managable, has controllable side-effects, and won't be so harsh on her body.

Best of luck

p.s. My skin was normal-oily. It used to be a lot more oily before all the topicals i used, etc.

i went on 'tane nearly 3 years ago. my skin was normal, not one or the other. i dried out LOTS but i maintained it ok with moisturizer.

ive started getting some spots back now so am using bp and an sa wash to dry it out a bit more. for me dry skin = clear skin, always has. I also had a fair bit of accutane left and thought hmm, ill take like 10-20mg a day for a few weeks to help tackle these new spots.

suffice to say, with my skin being dry in the first place, it was in dyerstraites with the accutane so i have now stopped takin it.

Severe dryness can cause major problems for me, no matter how much i moisturize.

if she goes on the accutane and already has very dry skin. Get some products that not only moisturize, but ahhh, i dunno, really boost the natural oils in the skin and attempt to re-oilify it up..... im no pro in that are as ive never really had to do it.

Go with Accutane - my skin was not very oily and it hasn't dried me out too much... it's likely the other products that are making her skin the way they are. None of us probably even really know what skin type we have with all this mediciation we've tried. Accutane is working, though.

I used to have a really oil face and scalp ( was insoportable , the kind of face that shine afte only hour hour of wash it), now is dry smile.gif and I really like it