Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
32yroldacne

Accutane and back pain help

Hey anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with back pain on accutane? I am on my 3rd week and my back which isnt great to begin with is getting worse. By the end of each day my back is killing me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

(1) Drink lots of water throughout the day (3-4 L).

(2) Don't take all your pills in the morning: Either separate your doses or, failing that, take all your pills at night just before bed (but still with food) in an attempt to preclude/minimise troubling side effects.

(3) Take over the counter pain relievers for acute pain.

(4) Failing all that, consider a dose decrease in consultation with your derm.

Good luck.

Edited by biggs881

I wouldn't take too many supps on Accutane unless your doctor tells you to or unless you need them like the OP might.

Thanks for the info. I have been drinking a ton of water and I take 1 pill in the morning and 1 in the evening. I havent tried fish oil, I will pick up some today. I have 2 small kids so I am constantly having to carry them so that isnt helping my back either, oh well hopefully it will work :)

talk to your doctor before taking any other medication, that includes herbal, supplements, over the counter. just because some guy on this board says to take fish oil doesnt mean you should. why should you take fish oil? he didnt say. taking accutane already taxes your liver which means its going to be harder for your liver to process the fat in your blood. its true that fish oil has good fat but the more fat in your blood (includes cholesterol, fatty acids, triglycerides, etc) will may make it harder for your liver to process. however, eating a fatty meal with your doses of accutane will help the absorption of accutane in your body since it is lipid soluble. thats why people say to take it will peanut butter or milk.

the back pain is not your muscles. it is most likely your kidneys trying to eliminate accutane from your system. if the pain is just below your rib cage and in the lower back region then it is probably your kidneys. this is actually a bad sign and could lead to chronic kidney disease will only progress to more complications down the road.

tell your doctor/derm/pharmacist all the symptoms youre feeling. better safe than sorry.

water is more of a prevention strategy, i get the lower back pain real bad, and i work out 5 times per week which can't be good for it! i find that rubbing ibuprofen gel onto it numbs the pain for several hours. I hope you're side effects lessen :)

My back pain was more mid to upper back, it definitely was not my kidneys (I have had pain in the kidneys due to an infection and this definitely was not that or even in that area). I just went to the dr last week and my bloodwork came back perfect. In fact my trigylcerides were down from the month before when I wasnt on the accutane. I am a very healthy, in shape person hence why I decided along with my doctor to go on accutane to clear up my acne problem.

I just wanted to thank you Biggs881, I read elsewhere that fish oil helps with back/joint pain while on accutane. I started taking them over a week ago and my back is 100% better. Thanks again for the tip :)