Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fakeplasticgirl

Red Reishi Mushroom -- A Cure All?

So I've been trying to compile a list of supplements I'll need to get as I start my wheat/gluten/dairy/sugar "free" (phew!) diet.. and I've been digging around this great website where I get a lot of my food (planetorganic.com) and I've come across this:

Mikei Red Reishi Essence

Reishi (known as Ling Zhi in Chinese), a very rare mushroom, is one of the most revered botanicals of Chinese herbalism. Because of its auspiciousness and rarity, Reishi mushrooms were reserved for emperors only in Imperial China. References to the use of Reishi date back more than 2000 years. In classical Chinese herbal text, Reishi was classified as the most superior herb, surpassing even ginseng. Reishi's efficacy lies in its wide range of adaptogenic qualities. These might include helping to support the body's defense system and maintain the balance of body functions; to maintain cardiovascular health and to provide antioxidant protection against free radicals.

and here is some info from another website (magicmushroom.com.au)..

Polysaccharides

Strengthen the body’s immune system

Balance blood sugar level and improves pancreatic functions

Protect against degeneration of skin cells and eliminates dead surface cells which improves skin texture and reduces the appearance of aging

Controls destruction of healthy cells throughout the body

Eliminates accumulated toxins

Organic Germanium

Increases oxygen in the blood system

Reduces fatigue and increases vitality

Strengthens the immune system

Increases the metabolism

Contains an abundance of anti-oxidants that control or inhibit damaging free radicals. Free radicals are a major cause of cell degeneration, cancer and aging.

Assists our body’s natural ability to fight cancer cells

Adenosine

Reduces cholesterol and body fat

Helps to unclog arteries plugged with fatty deposits, and supports liver function

Balances the metabolic rate and boosts energy

Prevents fragmentation of platelets which can cause blockages in the circulatory system

Triterpenoid

Fortifies and improves the digestive system

Inhibits allergies, relieves sinus congestion, and helps with respiratory problems

Reduces cholesterol and fat

Ganoderic Essence

Rejuvenates the body’s tissues and cells

Boosts all the body’s functions

Helps to maintain youthfulness and contributes to improved vitality

Overcomes skin disorders and beautifies the skin

Is effective for relieving external problems such as scrapes, skin wounds, psoriasis, bug bites, stings, sunburn, mouth ulcers, and external bleeding.

Research has demonstrated that Ganoderma Lucidum has several different active constituents. One group of active constituents is the polysaccharides. The various types of polysaccharides found in Ganoderma Lucidum have demonstrated immune-enhancing properties. This includes enhancement of several important interleukins. Another major class of compounds is the triterpenes. These compounds have been reported to have adaptogenic, anti-hypertensive, and anti-allergy effects.

Cardiovascular Benefits

Ganoderma Lucidum has been shown in some studies to inhibit platelet aggregation and reduce blood pressure. In studies of people with hypertension, researchers found blood pressure was significantly reduced over two-weeks' time with reishi supplementation.

Immune Benefits

Ganoderma Lucidum is commonly prescribed by practitioners for long-term immune system support. In studies involving patients with advanced tumors, the patients were given Ganoderma Lucidum for thirty days. Researchers found a marked immune-modulating effect as demonstrated by an increase in T lymphocytes and decreased CD8 counts. Patients also reported reduced side effects due to chemotherapy or radiation as well as postoperation recovery.

Blood Sugar Balance

Studies have shown Ganoderma Lucidum to have a blood sugar lowering effect. Much of this activity appears to be due to polysaccharides known as Ganoderans A, B, and C.

It appears there are three main mechanisms behind this hypoglycemic effect. This includes Ganoderma Lucidum's ability to elevate plasma insulin levels, to enhance peripheral tissue utilization of glucose, and to enhance liver metabolism of glucose.

Anti-inflammatory Effects

Studies have shown that hot-water extracts of Ganoderma Lucidum have anti-inflammatory effects. One study found that 50 milligrams of reishi powder had comparable effects to 5 milligrams of hydrocortisone.

Liver Protector

Ganoderma Lucidum is commonly used for its hepatoprotective (liver protective) action. One study of patients with hepatitis B and elevated liver enzymes (SGOT/SGPT) and bilirubin were given reishi for three months. Significant reduction in SGOT and SGPT were noticed within one month. After three months all values were within normal range.

Oxygenation

One of the unique uses of Ganoderma Lucidum is for altitude sickness. Reishi appears to reduce altitude sickness by oxygenating the blood. This benefit was studied in Asian mountain climbers that ascended mountains as high as 17,000 feet with minimal reaction.

So... anti-inflammatory, immune boosting, liver aiding, digestion helping, and blood sugar balancing? All are things us acne sufferers would deem very beneficial, no?

But to be honest, it seems too good to be true. Has a very hefty price tag as well! But I'm sort of tempted to give them a 2-month trial..

Thoughts?

If you are about to begin a sugar-free or low-sugar diet, I would hold off on supplements. How will you know how the diet is affecting you? Cutting down on sugars and grains will be GREAT for your body. Less sugar should help improve just about all those things you mentioned the mushroom does - it will stabilize your blood sugar, help your skin out, lesses inflammation, help your energy levels. It may not be enough to cure acne (you could have other issues or food sensitivities), but it will probably reduce it to some degree and have a buuunch of other good effects. You might not feel good at first (if you're addicted to sugar) but once your body stops craving sugar, you should feel better. Even if you don't noticeable feel that different, you know you are doing your body a good thing, and years from now when you're getting old you're likely to be in much better health if you start making these changes now!

also, you said it seemed too good to be true. and it is!!! I don't believe any pill is going to make such a drastic difference as this claims to. And once your diet is great, you probably won't see the need for the pill! I worked in a health food store where we sold all kinds of supplements like this. I couldn't believe how much people spent on supplements but didn't want to buy organic food in our store because it was too expensive. To me, it just makes sense to perfect your diet as much as you can before looking for supplements. You have to remember that supplements are an industry - and they make a lot of money. They also aren't controlled and tested as much as you would hope. They claim a lot of things, and give people a lot of false hope. I am not against them - but wait a few months.