Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dani_katze

My experience with a diet

Hello everyone,

I am new here, but I have been reading some of your experiences with holistic treatment for acne.

I am women, 37 years old, and have been suffering from mild acne (sometimes severe acne) since 11. I have tried with different type of treament. I would like to share an holistic one I tried years ago. I wonder why it did not work, so I would appreciate to have your point of view.

In my adolescence I have mild acne. Then, one year after a surgery I had (thyroid cancer) my acne got worst. I did not have acne on my face, but I got acne on my back, my chest and even some in my legs. So I went to the dermatologist and she told me to take contraceptives and antibiotics. I also was treated with many lotions and creams. Thanks to this I could control my acne. I continue with this treatment for years, but I was concerned about taking so many drugs and I tried with homeopathy. I got worst, so I gave up and went back to the previous treatment. But then I decided to try with diet.

The aim of the diet was to detoxify your body, therefore I ate:

During morning:

I used to drink 5 spoons of distilled water + 1 spoon of honey + 2 spoons of apple vinegar juice. With this mixture I drank one small garlic.

Then I could drink as much acid fruits juice as I wanted, especially of pineapple.

For lunch:

I ate a lot fruits (specially acid) or a lot of raw vegetables, with a little extra virgin oil, but no salt.

For dinner:

If I ate fruits during lunch I could continue eating fruits during dinner or raw vegetables. If I ate raw vegetables I was not able to eat fruits, just vegetables. Sometimes, during dinner I also ate bread and cookies made with whole wheat.

As you can imagine I lost too much weight, although I was not overweight.

When I first started with this diet, I was with drugs like: contraceptives, antibiotics and lotions like glycolic acid, etc. I gave up all this. As soon as I stopped using drugs the acne appeared again, but much worst than ever. I continue waiting and waiting and hoping that one day I would finally see any good result this diet.

During that time I have had a lot of stress at work and when I quit I could see that my skin got better. But it got better just because of this. I continue making the diet, but it did not heal my skin. I was studying something related to dance at that time and I needed to have energy so I used to ate quaker oatmeal , even though I was not allow to do that, but I was so thin! After more than a year I finally gave up, and started with contraceptive and antibiotics again.

But, last year I decided to quit on contraceptive because of the side effects, like the terrible migraines I used to suffer. My acne is not that terrible right now though. I think that probably my acne is not that strong now, because I try to watch my diet, but I am not following any specific diet, I just avoid sugar and dairy products. I am also taking some homeopathic medicine from HEEL, but I still break out.

So, why do you think I could not be healed with this diet? I was not eating sugar, nor dairy products, no salt and not much whole wheat. I ask this because now I have been reading that certain type of diet could help me... the one that suggests to avoid gluten, sugar, dairy products and take supplements, etc. Therefore, before starting a new diet I would like to know why the previous one didn't work if I had avoided all these type of things....

Thank you in advance.

Dani

Edited by dani_katze

Hello everyone,

I am new here, but I have been reading some of your experiences with holistic treatment for acne.

I am women, 37 years old, and have been suffering from mild acne (sometimes severe acne) since 11. I have tried with different type of treament. I would like to share an holistic one I tried years ago. I wonder why it did not work, so I would appreciate to have your point of view.

In my adolescence I have mild acne. Then, one year after a surgery I had (thyroid cancer) my acne got worst. I did not have acne on my face, but I got acne on my back, my chest and even some in my legs. So I went to the dermatologist and she told me to take contraceptives and antibiotics. I also was treated with many lotions and creams. Thanks to this I could control my acne. I continue with this treatment for years, but I was concerned about taking so many drugs and I tried with homeopathy. I got worst, so I gave up and went back to the previous treatment. But then I decided to try with diet.

The aim of the diet was to detoxify your body, therefore I ate:

During morning:

I used to drink 5 spoons of distilled water + 1 spoon of honey + 2 spoons of apple vinegar juice. With this mixture I drank one small garlic.

Then I could drink as much acid fruits juice as I wanted, especially of pineapple.

For lunch:

I ate a lot fruits (specially acid) or a lot of raw vegetables, with a little extra virgin oil, but no salt.

For dinner:

If I ate fruits during lunch I could continue eating fruits during dinner or raw vegetables. If I ate raw vegetables I was not able to eat fruits, just vegetables. Sometimes, during dinner I also ate bread and cookies made with whole wheat.

As you can imagine I lost too much weight, although I was not overweight.

When I first started with this diet, I was with drugs like: contraceptives, antibiotics and lotions like glycolic acid, etc. I gave up all this. As soon as I stopped using drugs the acne appeared again, but much worst than ever. I continue waiting and waiting and hoping that one day I would finally see any good result this diet.

During that time I have had a lot of stress at work and when I quit I could see that my skin got better. But it got better just because of this. I continue making the diet, but it did not heal my skin. I was studying something related to dance at that time and I needed to have energy so I used to ate quaker oatmeal , even though I was not allow to do that, but I was so thin! After more than a year I finally gave up, and started with contraceptive and antibiotics again.

But, last year I decided to quit on contraceptive because of the side effects, like the terrible migraines I used to suffer. My acne is not that terrible right now though. I think that probably my acne is not that strong now, because I try to watch my diet, but I am not following any specific diet, I just avoid sugar and dairy products. I am also taking some homeopathic medicine from HEEL, but I still break out.

So, why do you think I could not be healed with this diet? I was not eating sugar, nor dairy products, no salt and not much whole wheat. I ask this because now I have been reading that certain type of diet could help me... the one that suggests to avoid gluten, sugar, dairy products and take supplements, etc. Therefore, before starting a new diet I would like to know why the previous one didn't work if I had avoided all these type of things....

Thank you in advance.

Dani

Hey in no way am I trying to belittle your methodor advise you against it. I think having a healthy diet is great, and something I try everyday to move more towards. I'm obsessed with whole foods, only place I'll shop now. But there's very little research that can accurately link diet to acneEdit: please ignore I some how failed to realize I was posting on the nutrition bored rude/durrrr/sry - producing too much sebum, and shedding of dead skin sells being trapped by that, is how my Dermo defines acne. A part of what makes up sebum is triglycerides and fatty acids - specifically reducing these in your diet may reduce sebum production. Just a thought if your intent on a dietary approach.

Edited by Acne Security

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Thanks for the answers.

On one hand there are experiences here, like mine, that diet didn't work to heal acne. On the other hand there are other experiences (I think mostly from men than women, correct me if I am wrong) where people could be healed by following a diet... and there are also some research (that I found here) which link diet to acne...

What I can conclude is that maybe it depends on each person, what works for one person does not mean that it will work for everyone else. I have a friend who found that turkish bad helped her to be free of acne... in my case when I take this kind of bath I break out.

I think medicine is not an exact science and we are the guinea pic of the physicians.

Anyway I will keep looking for the healthiest system to be free of acne.

You can't just "not eat much" wheat. When it comes to being gluten free, it's an all or nothing deal. It really is. Because if you react to gluten at all, it takes COMPLETE removal of gluten (in all forms, including hidden gluten in processed foods AND gluten from cross contamination if you eat out and something touched something that had gluten on it-and yes, trust me, that little amount DOES matter)from your diet or your body will stay in the same state and WILL NOT HEAL. I cannot put enough emphasis on this.

So everything you did on your "healing" diet was useless if gluten is even part of your issue. What you did was NOT a healing or cleansing diet. EVen if you are not that sensitive gluten is not good for anyone and certainly shouldn't be part of a healing diet regimen.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but what you've done so far is really a half ass effort. Not on your part, at least not purposefully, I mean you didn't know... so hopefully it gives you hope that diet could absolutely heal your skin, you just haven't given it a good honest try.

I am someone who suffered with severe cystic acne that made people on the street stop and stare it was so bad, for many years. I struggled to find answers for so long and I found them. But unfortunately most people don't want to hear it. They don't like hearing that their wheat pasta, bread, dairy, soy, and corn products are not good for them. They don't like hearing that they may have to CHANGE something if they want to heal their body.

For me it took giving up ALL grains, ALL soy, ALL processed foods, ALL corn products, ALL dairy products, and eating a mostly raw diet + some complete protein like eggs. On top of that I do a lot of supplements and other things for my health as well, but it was really the no grain/soy/corn/dairy diet that cured my skin.

So if you REALLY want to test out diet, give up all these nasty things that could potentially be causing your acne. Give them up completely for at least 6 months. See how your skin feels at that time and get back to me. Because if you aren't going to make the effort 100%, you might as well not make the effort at all.

If you PM me I can send you pics of my now beautiful perfect skin as well as a pic or two of my severe cystic acne. I just want you to know I'm not talking out my ass here, I really did clear my skin and I've come back on this forum recently to offer help to those who still need it.

Thanks for the answers.

On one hand there are experiences here, like mine, that diet didn't work to heal acne. On the other hand there are other experiences (I think mostly from men than women, correct me if I am wrong) where people could be healed by following a diet... and there are also some research (that I found here) which link diet to acne...

I've seen no reason to think diet has helped more men than women.

And diet does affect acne in so many ways. And there have been so many studies that have proven it. It isn't possible for diet not to affect your acne. Just like it affects your development of most of the other health conditions sickly Americans now suffer from like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease. All preventable, reducible and even reversible via diet habits. Just like acne. It's how you get the nutrients your body needs to perform it's functions. Or in the case of most people, fail to get the nutrients your body needs to function. When you eat stuff, stuff happens.

Diet affects every factor involved in acne.

It affects hormones in a number of ways and various hormones that affect acne in various ways.

It affects inflammation and acne is an inflammatory condition.

It affects sebum quality.

It affects cell turnover and how cells are formed and how they exfoliate.

It provides (or doesn't in most people's diet) the nutrients your body needs to function properly.

It affects mood, stress and sleep.

It can directly cause pimples to form via a food sensitivity.

More info on the many ways diet and lifestyle affects acne and what to do about them: <a href="http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne-Cliff-Notes-t230714.html" target="_blank">http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html</a>

And in that 'diet' you were following, you did eat sugar and refined carbs. You said you could eat fruit all day. And you had bread and cookies. What did you drink? And how could you function on a diet like that for a year?

And you could have been eating something you have an intolerance for. Wheat for example. Or citrus. Or nightshades.

And then there's your thyroid issue. Does it function properly now? Really? Because hypo-thyroid is notoriously under-diagnosed with most people being told they are in the normal range when whatever that is is not adequate for them. You also need a lot of minerals for thyroid hormone production that you likely weren't getting enough of from that fruit and veggie diet.

What you want is a healthy lifestyle with natural circadian cycle, stress management, physical activity and a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory blood sugar stabilizing diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for.

Edited by alternativista

What sprang to mind was that

1) As said above, there is no definitive relationship between food and acne. I can eat a bag of chips with a side of 2 pounds of cake and not break out more from it.

2) Your diet was extremely unhealthy. Sure, the foods themselves are healthy, but not the approach. Too little food, not enough variation, not enough nutrients for your body. Example: I eat a large salad with jsut veggies, I'm hungry an hour later. Eat the same sized salad with a handful of nuts and a bunch of mozza, and I'm good for 3-4 hours before I need just a snack. Wasn't getting enough protein with the former salad.

3) Your acne could have been entirely hormonal, genetic, from the products you were using, or a combination of these things. Or any other small variable that might have lessened your immune system (like stress) and thus left you more prone to acne.

I don't think acne is a genetic issue. If it was, babies would be being born with acne all the time. I don't believe that your genes would give you acne. I do, however, believe that your genes could make you slightly more predisposed to getting acne.

Also diet and hormones are very closely related.

Thank you very much for writing me. I keep learning from the answers I get.

I do think that food affects in a positive or negative way. The argument that gave Deja really makes me sense (by the way I sent you a PM). Because although I tried so hard with that diet, I didn't know at that time that gluten could affect me.

I hope that if I try with diet again, to get free of acne, at least more than before... because I don't like to take drugs...

I would like to know if you needed to make a detoxification diet to get rid of your acne or you just took supplements and avoided products that were affecting you (like gluten, dairy products, sugar and soy).

I ask this because I would like to make things step by step. Right now I avoid sugar, dairy products and soy. I also take probiotics and some vitamins.

Dani

I don't think acne is a genetic issue. If it was, babies would be being born with acne all the time. I don't believe that your genes would give you acne. I do, however, believe that your genes could make you slightly more predisposed to getting acne.

Also diet and hormones are very closely related.

Our genetics do make us more predisposed to getting acne. All of us. In several ways. And hormones are always involved, except in the case of pores getting clogged from topicals or environmental pollutants. In all of us. There's even a connection between elevated histamine and elevated androgens, so even with allergies, hormones are involved.

So remarks like 'my acne is genetic' or maybe 'your acne is hormonal' and so 'diet isn't involved' are completely invalid. All of our acne is genetic. All of our acne is hormonal. And all of our acne is rooted in chronic inflammation. And diet affects those things. In all of us. It isn't possible for it not to.

Edited by alternativista

Alternativista,

I really don't know how did I function like this for more than year... I was weighted about 54kg when I started the diet (I am 1.57m) and with this diet I lost 10kg!! Therefore I started to eat wheat... my face looked horrible, at least I didn't want to look anorexic! The guy who "guided" me even suggested me to reduce the medicine I was taking to replace the thyroid I don't have. He was nuts... and I followed him... I was crazy too! That's why I make more research right now before decide anything...

I used to check thyroid levels once to twice a year, and now they are fine. What type of minerals do you think I need?

So do you have a thyroid or are you taking thyroid hormones? The link I gave you earlier is full of info on the many ways diet and lifestyle habits affect acne and what to do about it, but here's a link directly to the section on thyroid. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2592507 But if you don't have a thyroid, i don't think it will apply to you. You may want to pay careful attention to your adrenal health and boosting SHBG levels (there's info on that in that link as well) but really, someone with thyroid cancer is beyond the scope of the info I can/should provide. You probably need to do your own research.

And wheat is the last thing you should add to your diet just because you want more calories. It's extremely common to be intolerant to it in a couple of ways and then there are a couple of more ways it contributes to acne and health issues besides intolerance. I'm not saying you can't have it at all, but you need to avoid it for a while to see if you notice improvement. And even if you don't notice an intolerance to it, it should not be a big part of your diet. It is not a health food, no matter how whole it is. Broccoli, kale, sweet potatoes, berries, fish, etc are health foods. Grains not so much.

Have olive oil, avocados, sweet potatoes, nuts, better grains and grain-like seeds like whole or steel cut oats, quinoa or amaranth, coconut for more calories. Use dried unsweetened coconut in place of flour in pancakes or muffins and cook with and even supplement coconut oil. And eat a lot of greens (provided you don't have an issue with goitrogens/oxalates). Try green smoothies. See the pinned Food and Recipe index thread for ideas on what to eat. You'll find links to threads dedicated to the wonders of the sweet potato, coconut, green smoothies and more.

Diet (and overall health) has everything to do with diet and there is TONS upon TONS of evidence linking them. Anybody who says otherwise clearly hasn't done adequate research.

In addition to the thyroid issues at hand, your diet contained a great deal of sugar - fruit sugar. I'm an advocate of eating fruits, but in moderation. Your diet seemed to consist mostly of fruits and a lot of people are sensitive to the sugars. Try eating more unprocessed meats and vegetables and cut down on the fruit. Try eating low sugar fruits as well, like berries.

I eat strictly unprocessed meats, vegetables, nuts and the fruits I do eat, I eat sparingly and not even everyday. My skin has been clear for over a year now from eating this way. Also make sure you're getting plenty of sunlight, sleep and managing your stress.

I can eat a bag of chips with a side of 2 pounds of cake and not break out more from it.

You're lucky because i'm sure that would screw me up. I can eat as much as i want

and not put on any weight but my skin takes the punishment.

When I use so much fruits in my diet, most of the were acid, like pineapple...

I know that anyway fruits contain sugar, but it is not a processed sugar, like the one that is sold in the supermarket... why would this sugar make someone break out? I would appreciate an explanation.

I know that anyway fruits contain sugar, but it is not a processed sugar, like the one that is sold in the supermarket... why would this sugar make someone break out? I would appreciate an explanation.

Because of the glycemic impact. It's still sugar. In fact it's the source of sugar our bodies are adapted to deal with. And the body tries to get that sugar out of the blood (where it's harmful) and into cells as fast as it can. It does this by releasing insulin which is a master hormone that stimulates the production of other hormones including the ones that affect acne. Lots of sugar means lots of insulin which means lots of other hormones.

You need to keep your blood sugar stable by always consuming high glycemic foods in small amounts only and/or in combination with fats and fiber to reduce the glycemic impact. There are also a lot of nutrients that affect how well your body manages blood sugar along with physical activity, muscle and sleep. Those things affect how strict your diet needs to be sugar wise.

oh, and what about honey?

Still sugar.

Edited by alternativista

Alternativista,

Thanks for the links, I am going to read them. I don't have thyroid :( it was removed because of cancer.

Then if you don't have a thyroid, you must be taking replacement thyroid hormones. You should also consider if it's the wrong amount. Both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid conditions can impact acne so if you are taking too much or too little... You said a doctor mentioned reducing your medication? Was he/she talking about the thyroid hormone?

oh... I was eating tons of honey, thinking it was a healthy type of sugar...

Because of the glycemic impact. It's still sugar,. In fact it's the source of sugar our bodies are adapted to deal with. And the body tries to get that sugar our of the blood (where it's harmful) and into cells as fast as it can. It does this by releasing insulin which is a master hormone that stimulates the production of other hormones including the ones that affect acne. Lots of sugar means lots of insulin which means lots of other hormones.

You need to keep your blood sugar stable by always consuming high glycemic foods in small amounts only and/or in combination with fats and fiber to reduce the glycemic impact. There are also a lot of nutrients that affect how well your body manages blood sugar along with physical activity, muscle and sleep. Those things affect how strict your diet needs to be sugar wise.

Well, the guy wasn't a doc, he was just a guy that heal people with strong diseases through food... but he couldn't manage mine.

I am taking replacement of thyroid hormones and because my cancer happened many many years ago, I don't have to be hyper any more (it is necessary at the beginning to stop possible new cancer), so now I am in a more normal level. But it is not the same to have thyroid! I feel tired more sooner than someone that has thyroid...

But you know? honestly when I come here I get a little confused with the amount of information.... I am reading a book that also suggests me to quit sugar, gluten, dairy products, etc... but then I read that there are guys who avoid grain, but eat fruits... some others do so detoxification for the liver or other organs...

:rolleyes:

Alternativista,

Thanks for the links, I am going to read them. I don't have thyroid :( it was removed because of cancer.

Then if you don't have a thyroid, you must be taking replacement thyroid hormones. You should also consider if it's the wrong amount. Both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid conditions can impact acne so if you are taking too much or too little... You said a doctor mentioned reducing your medication? Was he/she talking about the thyroid hormone?

Honey is NOT the same as sugar. Yes it is still sugar, but it breaks down differently and doesn't feed candida and further inflame the gut. Honey is the only sweetener allowed on the specific carbohydrate diet, a diet designed and proven to heal gut conditions.

So have your honey in moderation. In my view, if you need tons of "sweetener" then you're eating the wrong foods anyway, as fruits and vegetables don't require sweetening with honey. The only time I use honey is when I have a little hot tea.

I think maybe some people who react badly to fruit sugars just have an extremely inflamed system. For these people, it would probably be best to avoid fruit at first, while eating a diet high in healthy fats and protein and free of grains, potatoes, etc. Then as the gut calms down a bit you can start adding in fruits little by little. As the gut heals and grows strong, fruit will digest easier and easier and will not cause problems. Unless there is some specific allergy of course.

Deja,

did you use something special on your diet to eliminate candida?

Honey is NOT the same as sugar. Yes it is still sugar, but it breaks down differently and doesn't feed candida and further inflame the gut. Honey is the only sweetener allowed on the specific carbohydrate diet, a diet designed and proven to heal gut conditions.

So have your honey in moderation. In my view, if you need tons of "sweetener" then you're eating the wrong foods anyway, as fruits and vegetables don't require sweetening with honey. The only time I use honey is when I have a little hot tea.

I think maybe some people who react badly to fruit sugars just have an extremely inflamed system. For these people, it would probably be best to avoid fruit at first, while eating a diet high in healthy fats and protein and free of grains, potatoes, etc. Then as the gut calms down a bit you can start adding in fruits little by little. As the gut heals and grows strong, fruit will digest easier and easier and will not cause problems. Unless there is some specific allergy of course.

Because of the glycemic impact. It's still sugar. In fact it's the source of sugar our bodies are adapted to deal with. And the body tries to get that sugar out of the blood (where it's harmful) and into cells as fast as it can. It does this by releasing insulin which is a master hormone that stimulates the production of other hormones including the ones that affect acne. Lots of sugar means lots of insulin which means lots of other hormones.

Still sugar.

I agree with the sugar in fruit and honey and the glycemic impact, etc etc. But, at the same time, has anyone taken a look at 80/10/10 dieters? Some of them look a little sickly sure, but a lot of those people thrive on that diet. And many say it has totally cleared their skin. I'm sure we could say that these people who cleared themselves might have eliminated their food intolerances in the process, eliminated super refined carbs, or other factors like this might have contributed. But at the same time...all they eat is fruit, fairly similar to Dani's diet (minus the cookies/oatmeal or what she ate sometimes)...I still don't have an extremely solid argument why some people are pictures of health on 80/10/10.

^^In response to the prior several posts.

It does not matter what diet is followed. Paleo, South Beach, this 80/10/10 or whatever. Follow any guide/gimmick you want. So long as your diet is what I have described. Blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense and doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. And you also follow healthy sleep, stress, physical activity, circadian cycle, etc, habits which will affect how strict your diet needs to be. It is possible to eat allowed foods in those diets and not accomplish those requirements. And you can not follow any gimmicky diet at all, just eat real whole food and accomplish those requirements.

And of course honey is not the same as processed sugar. It is half fructose and half glucose. Only the fructose half is processed differently and that isn't without it's issues either. Many people suffer from fructose malabsorption which is something that can be addressed with nutrients and lifestyle habits listed in the links I provided. Then there's the glucose.

And I have not suggested that anyone cannot have honey or fruit or even processed sugar. But everyone needs to keep their blood sugar stable by limiting amounts of high glycemic foods and/or combining them with low glycemic foods in the same meal. And by consuming the nutrients and following lifestyle habits your body needs to manage blood sugar.

Edited by alternativista

Deja,

did you use something special on your diet to eliminate candida?

You usually do not eat any fruit on an anti-candida diet. Or bread. Basically the opposite of the diet you followed. And you stick to a strict diet for months.