Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SebaceousOne

So many types of zinc... which is the best type for oily skin/acne?

So I've been reading up on zinc, with people saying they take around 50mg or more (or even less). I bought some chelated zinc and have been taking it the past 2 days.

HOWEVER, the more I read, the more I see that there are many different types of zinc, and depending on what type, you may need more or less to get the same absorption. So when people say they take 50mg, I don't know if that's chelated zinc or something else. Can anyone shed some light on this on what is the best kind to take? Is chelated zinc a good kind?

When people on here talk about zinc, they often just say "zinc", even though there's OptiZinc, Chelated Zinc, and several other types, so I'm just not sure what they're referring to. For instance, Optizinc says it's absorbed better so that you can take less of it, but I don't know. I want to make sure I'm using the most effective possible form of zinc to see if it works.

Edited by SebaceousOne

If you're looking for best it's definitely not chelated.

L-OptiZinc and Zinc Picolinate are the best. Downside of Zinc Picolinate is that you should take it on an empty stomach (which unfortunately can cause nausea) to absorb it best. But it's generally a bit cheaper and you can get more bang for your buck. I've never tried L-OptiZinc myself but have heard great things about it. I've only tried Zinc Picolinate and can vouch for its effectiveness.

OptiZinc sounds really good from the reading I've been doing, BUT it leads me to another question. It looks like it's available in 30mg pills -- but since you said it's more absorbable than the chelate, how much should I take? Seems like so many people are starting out with 50 or 100 (I wouldn't dare go above 100), but if it absorbs well, do I only need to take the 30? Or should I take 2 pills to get 60?