Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I've been real strict lately with my diet and trying to reduce my sugar intake (zero) and other factors I've come to believe make me break out. Has anyone connected their outbreaks to large intakes of sodium? I can eat all the fresh meat I want and not get acne (I think), but when I eat cured meats like pre-cooked ham, beef jerky, etc... I've been breaking out. Of course it could be anything, but I really think that my last two bad breakouts have been after I've eaten quite a bit of sodium. Anyone else have similar findings, or any input to help me explain this? Thanks

This was just posted recently. I didn't actually read the linked guide, but from the responses, I think you'll find something relevant in it.

Yeah apparently salt's water retention properties will increase the water pressure in your skin, and swell it up. Which will pinch off your sebum canals and etc. to contribute to acne. But it's more of a temporary effect rather than a permanent one, and your body will adjust to your salt intake anyways.

Still something important to look at though.

haven't noticed that myself. The diet I'm on now, low-carb, involves eating a lot of high sodium foods (cheese, nuts, pickles, olives, etc) and I'm relatively clear.

Dried meats are normally full of nitrates and other additives that may have a greater effect. I currently consume a lot of salt as it helps to deal with stress as its needed by the adrenal glands.