Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trying2heal

DIDN'T USE BP ON VACATION AND I DIDN'T BREAK OUT!?

I just got back from vacation in Costa Rica. Since I don't tan my face (to avoid my PIH from getting worse) I made sure to wear 30 SPF on my face. However, after the first day I got an awful burn/heat rash on my face since my skin is so photosensitive.

For the rest of the trip I was forced to avoid BP due to the heat rash. I only cleansed my face and put on a tiny bit of Olay moisturizer. No BP, no makeup (except when I went to dinner but no longer than 2 hours) and no toner. Normally if I go off BP I start to get painful zits on my cheeks. However, I only got one small zit the whole trip!!! My skin had a bumpy texture from the heat rash for about 3-4 days and then it went away but still no zits and my skin was nice and smooth.

Some things I think it could be:

- wasn't wearing makeup for 15 hours a day like I do in the city

- I didn't eat soy or peanut butter the whole trip. These are foods I eat normally since I'm a vegetarian but they didn't have them at the resort.

- no stress (but I got zits even when I wasn't stressed in the past)

- was swimming in salt water

- maybe the heat rash killed the acne bacteria from forming.

Whatever it is about Costa Rica that helped my skin, I would like to know! Has anyone ever experienced this on vacation??? Maybe I should start soaking my face in salt water every day or stop eating soy and eat more rice and beans like the Costa Ricans? Who knows! But any similar stories might help to uncover the secret.

Maybe you've been over-treating your skin and all it really needed was to be left alone? :D I've found mine calms down a bit when I stop thinking about it as much, thus not constantly trying to find ways to treat it. I don't learn though. :lol:

Weirdest thing...whenever I go on vacations my skin looks rediculously clear and has a "glow" to it...I have yet to figure out what it is. Examples of places I have gone to recently: Italy (greasy pizza and pastas every day!), Greece, and mexico. Every single place my skin looks really good for some reason.

Sometimes you find a happy medium between over-treating your skin and not treating it at all that your skin is happy with. I've seemed to find that treating once a day or so usually does the trick, but I do more or less depending on how irritated or dry my skin is.

Also, once I get clear with the regimen, my skin tends to stay that way even if I'm inconsistent with treating. I remember once using the regimen as prescribed and my skin was endlessly flaky and dry. I decided to take a few days off and just moisturize, then just treat once a day or so, and my skin's been pretty happy since then.

Yay! I'm glad you didn't break out and I hope you enjoyed your vacation!!

You said you didn't eat peanut butter during your trip... I notice that I get a few pimples if I eat this stuff. So maybe not eating peanut butter had something to do with it too? :)

Also, which cleanser and moisturizer did you use? I know you mentioned Olay for your moisturizer, but what kind specifically?

Yay! I'm glad you didn't break out and I hope you enjoyed your vacation!!

You said you didn't eat peanut butter during your trip... I notice that I get a few pimples if I eat this stuff. So maybe not eating peanut butter had something to do with it too? :)

Also, which cleanser and moisturizer did you use? I know you mentioned Olay for your moisturizer, but what kind specifically?

Hey! I did enjoy my vacation, Costa Rica is an amazing place to travel to.

I recently got an allergy test and I'm not allergic to peanut butter or soy - however, I might cut back and see if it helps.

I used Olay moisturizer for sensitive skin. I've never used it before until the trip. Normally I use a thick olive oil based moisturizer to counter-balance the BP.

Since i've been back i've been using BP once a day and have gone back to wearing makeup. Once I get rid of my PIH I hope to stop wearing makeup.

Maybe you've been over-treating your skin and all it really needed was to be left alone? :D I've found mine calms down a bit when I stop thinking about it as much, thus not constantly trying to find ways to treat it. I don't learn though. :lol:

I agree! I don't think I need to keep using BP twice a day. especially days where I don't wear makeup.