Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of me but im getting tired of my acne. I've decided to cut out dairy, breads & grains, soybeans, and agave nectar. I dont really eat alot of sweets except for fruit and thats just green apples and grapefruits. I can't really saw what's in the campus food, but I hardly eat it anyway since its so disgusting. Anything else I should cut out?

Just green apples and grapefruit? It would help to expand your horizon with that.

There are tons of things you should cut out but that would be a long list and it's hard without you mentioning options.

No of course apples and grapefruits arent the only fruits I ever eat thats just mainly what I am eating right now.

What kind of options do you mean?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I'm sure some people here are going to basically stone me for saying this, but you might as well cut out all food and live off of water and grass. Seriously, people in this section somehow are able to find a connection between acne and ANY food item imaginable. And sure, in some cases the foods might be causing issues. But I'd think that in most of those cases, it's because it's a genuine allergy or negative reaction to the food, and not the food itself.

Basically, eat what you like to eat, eat what doesn't cause you any internal issues (gas/bloating, heartburn, constipation, etc etc). And stop worrying too much about what you are eating and how it might be affecting your skin. I cut out gluten, which does cause stomach issues for me, and continued breaking out. I had a test done for allergies, and I was told that I had no allergies or sensitivities to anything (probably still sensitive to eggs and gluten though, since they do cause issues for me - but having them out of my system for so long, my body wouldn't react to them in the test). So for me I find it silly to worry too much about that connection, especially when I remember my skin was at its nicest when my diet was at its worst!

Very true, but there are still some staples that are almost entirely bad and some that are entirely good. I do think a lot of people overreact and often mistakenly pair a certain type of food with causing them acne (and then never eat it again, even when it could have been perfectly fine for them).

Base your diet around raw fruits, vegetables, and greens. Steam some of your vegetables and greens. I steam about 1/2 mine. You are on the right track cutting out gluten and soy. Although I had to cut out ALL grains and go on a mostly raw diet+ the right supplements to heal my skin.

Here's the deal. Acne is caused by leaky gut and food sensitivity. Until you heal your gut, you will be sensitive to a LOT of things. The raw food/grain free diet, when done right, can help heal your gut. But you have to take it seriously.

Read about the specific carb diet.

Here's the deal. Acne is caused by leaky gut and food sensitivity. Until you heal your gut, you will be sensitive to a LOT of things.

That isn't the deal. That is one of many possible factors. There isn't and never has been anything wrong with my gut. And while yes, I do have one food sensitivity that caused my cystic acne, it didn't cause my extremely oily skin and all the other kinds of acne I get. I figured out the food sensitivity many years before I learned about the blood sugar/insulin connection to the hormones and inflammation involved in acne.

And my skin became less oily and cleared for the first time in many years within 2 months of the day I drank my last soda and began finding more nutrient dense meals to eat and keeping meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate GL.

Yes fruit is a snack of mine and NOT a meal. Being that in a freshmen in college im limited to things that I can eat and they arent the best. But i eat chicken and fish for meat at school, sunflower seeds and pistachios for the nuts, veggies i eat corn, green beans, broccoli etc. But i guess it doesn't matter i dont think my acne is caused by my diet. But thanks for you responses

Guest pokemonster

^ yor avatar gives me spazzzmzz bweeeh!!

That isn't the deal. That is one of many possible factors.

While I agree our systems are complex, I hesitate to believe there is anyone with severe cystic acne who doesn't have a problem with their gut and digestive health. The two just go hand in hand.

Skin lesions can also be caused by other forms of detox. But usually in those cases, part of the reason the person's organs cannot properly deal with the toxic overload is that their gut is in bad health. Something a naturopath told me that I found interesting was that a person could be evacuating their bowels daily but still be constipated. Those poops could be DAYS behind... what a freaky thought eh?

I didn't mean to sound like I was oversimplifying, I'm sure there are weird exceptions out there but after almost ten years of studying about skin, health, diet, acne, and talking to a huge number of other acne sufferers, watching what has worked for people and what hasn't, I've found leaky gut issues (or some sort of gut issue)to almost always be involved.

To lexib: Is there any way you can just stop eating the campus food and do your own shopping? Or do you live in one of those dorms without a kitchen? Just curious, I never went to college (and based on what some of you are saying I don't think I could have if I couldn't prepare my own food-you're the second person I've seen on this forum say they can't eat right because they are in college)so I don't really understand how it works but it seems insane to me to be in a situation where you can not have any control over your diet.

I guess diet isn't as important to all people in the world as it is to me, because that would be a total deal breaker on my end. But I wanted to add, if you have no kitchen in your dorm you can still do a LOT with a raw foods diet if you choose to pursue it. All you'd need is a mini fridge, a blender and a cutting board/knife/spoon/fork.

DejaClaireVoyant: I dont live in a dorm that has a kitchen. I didnt mean to say that I couldnt eat right because I'm in college, I always thought I ate pretty healthy. Its just that the cafeteria food has food that either you eat or you don't. You never know what they put in the food but it does seem healthy. I just dont have the option to follow the specific diets that are listed on this website right now and i think it would be best for me to wait until I home in two weeks to be free to cut things out and add things in to my diet.

And I was thinking about getting a blender and some raw veggies and fruits but I decided to wait until I go home for the summer in two weeks and IM SO EXCITED I CANNOT WAIT to start mixing up green smoothies.

You'll be bringing that blender back to school with you, I guarantee you're going to fall in love with smoothies. I think it's been 4-5 years now that I've had a big smoothie for breakfast every single morning.

That isn't the deal. That is one of many possible factors.

While I agree our systems are complex, I hesitate to believe there is anyone with severe cystic acne who doesn't have a problem with their gut and digestive health. The two just go hand in hand.

In some people. But not all and I doubt even most. I've seen no reason whatsoever to draw that conclusion or to even think that digestive health is more involved in severe acne than in mild or moderate acne. And I've been reading posts from people describing their acne and their experiences and doing research for several years now too. Digestion issues, if you have them, can cause any degree of severity of acne.

I think you tend to notice most what you want/are primarily looking for. You are looking for people with digestion issues and so notice mostly people with digestion issues. Dotty for another example is currently all about the celiac and so sees potential celiacs in every poster. Candida sufferers see candida everywhere. Various people here suffering from stress see stress and anxiety as the one true cause. I, on the other hand, have been gathering info on all the many inter-connected factors/organs/health issues that affect acne. I really don't see one health issue occurring more than the others.

And you are not helping people by going around and insisting that this is the one true cause of acne when there are so many factors, some of which are much bigger factors for other people.

Edited by alternativista

Well, I've done the diet thing, I've done supplements, I've done probiotics, been to dermatologists, and finally I went to a naturopath. I've come to the conclusion that the acne I've had for 30 years now is most definitely related to my digestive tract. The naturopath recommnded a colon cleanse, I think it's little extreme, but am willing to go this route. In addition to the cystic acne, I've had to deal with very bad folliculitis. Now, I don't think this is any coincidence, but have gone hand in hand with the very same issue...digestion problems!!! There appears to be too much moisture in the gut and intestinal tract causing my skin issues. This could've happened by years of eating processed foods, and the antibiotics that derms shove down your throat! Hopefully, we will be ending this...

In addition to the cystic acne, I've had to deal with very bad folliculitis.

Acne and folliculitus as well as many other skin conditions go hand in hand with hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation. Exacerbated by IGF-1 and chronic inflammation both exacerbated/stimulated by excess insulin among other things. And digestion issues could play a role in both of those. More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2580171

I think you tend to notice most what you want you are primarily looking for. You are looking for people with digestion issues and so notice mostly people with digestion issues. Dotty for another example is currently all about the celiac and so sees potential celiacs in every poster.

I think that's fairly true. When I jumped on the probiotics bandwagon, I started telling all my friends they had gut problems. Whether or not that is true, singular answers evolve to dogmatism, which can hinder progress. It's always good to watch out for that. Especially when it comes to skin, keep an open and comprehensive perspective, because acne is symptomatic of a multifaceted and complex issue.

In addition to the cystic acne, I've had to deal with very bad folliculitis.

Acne and folliculitus as well as many other skin conditions go hand in hand with hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation. Exacerbated by IGF-1 and chronic inflammation both exacerbated/stimulated by excess insulin among other things. And digestion issues could play a role in both of those. More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2580171

Thanks for the link! I just want to close by saying, it's probably not what you eat, but rather, how well you metabolize what you eat. Not to say that good dieting doesn't help!

Thanks for the link! I just want to close by saying, it's probably not what you eat, but rather, how well you metabolize what you eat. Not to say that good dieting doesn't help!

It is what you eat. And how you eat. And what else you do. But yes, how bad a particular food or high GI meal is for you varies from person to person.

I think you tend to notice most what you want/are primarily looking for. You are looking for people with digestion issues and so notice mostly people with digestion issues. Dotty for another example is currently all about the celiac and so sees potential celiacs in every poster. Candida sufferers see candida everywhere. Various people here suffering from stress see stress and anxiety as the one true cause. I, on the other hand, have been gathering info on all the many inter-connected factors/organs/health issues that affect acne. I really don't see one health issue occurring more than the others.

Yeah I agree with you on all that. I think you might be misunderstanding me though, I think all of those things are involved with acne. I just think they all go together, and that starting with healing the gut is the "first piece of the puzzle" so to speak, because when the gut isn't healed, nothing else is going to be healed either. And with the world the way it is today, all the consumption of coffee, bad processed foods, painkillers (Nsaids are SO damaging and most of my friends eat them like candy whenever they have the slightest pain), antibiotics (completely overprescribed), it's hard for me to believe that most people, at least in the western world, do not have some degree of gut damage. Whether it's showing through a condition like acne or not.

And on top of all that damaged gut goes hand in hand with celiac, stress, candida, etc. Pretty much all of these conditions linked to acne are also linked to gut damage. This is why I believe you have to be on a proper gut healing diet before you can be worrying about doing detoxes, supporting the health of other organs, etc. But you're right that I shouldn't make it sound like it is THE only cause as a stand alone condition. Hardly anything in the body stands alone.

You didn't answer my question tho- How do you know for sure your gut is perfectly healthy when the rest of you isn't? (or wasn't, at the time you had skin troubles, anyway. I don't know if you're now clear or what) Just wondering. I'm very interested in learning about this and hearing different cases and stories.

Not to oversimplify an obviously complex issue, but most health problems, including acne, have some correlation to the gut. Think about how you can affect the body. You can affect the body through the lungs or breathing, through sensory input or output, and through what you consume in your digestive tract. (I know I left out other forms such as acupuncture or Reiki, but I want to keep this simple and most people do not do these therapies consistently throughout their life).

Surprisingly, we do detox the most waste from our lungs, so breathe deep, clean air! Sensory input and output can be control through relaxation, mediation, therapy, etc. Most can easily find what relaxes them when they take the time to find out.

But food and drink are much more difficult to define. Essential amino acids, simple and complex carbohydrates, whole-food and synthetic vitamins, chelated and ionic minerals, saturated, poly-saturated, omega 3-6-9’s fats, cholesterol, sugars, fructose, glucose….I’m sure you get the idea. And these are the ‘macronutrients’! Different foods contain so many chemicals and nutrients, all acting differently alone then when combined.

Even beyond what we consume, we have several organs and hundreds of functions that occur in the digestive tract. All intertwined with our immune system, blood, brain and all other parts of the body. When the body is out of balance, it is not hard to see why digestive may be an accomplice, if not the main culprit.

Hormones are often thrown around as the cause of acne. Out-of-balance hormones are a symptom, not a cause of a health issue. It often said that stress can fluctuate hormones, but stress also wreaks havoc on the digestive system, so the two go hand-in-hand.

Finding the cause of your digestive issues can be a complex and time-consuming adventure. Food allergies and intolerances, gut flora, liver bile, gallstones, inflammatory bowel, hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid), constipation, IBS…and the list goes on and on. When your digestive system is out-of-balance, it is harder for you to absorb all those good nutrients and minerals. So all that organic produce is doing diddly-squat if your digestive system can’t absorb the food.

A lot of people have minor acne breakouts and healthier eating can help regulate the imbalance. But for some people, including myself, more severe and persistent acne can be a challenge to cure. It’s also not always a one step process and it’s not a once and done process either. I’m always trying to improve and maintain my gut health. It should be something that all of us should be aware of and striving for.

Not to oversimplify an obviously complex issue, but most health problems, including acne, have some correlation to the gut. Think about how you can affect the body. You can affect the body through the lungs or breathing, through sensory input or output, and through what you consume in your digestive tract. (I know I left out other forms such as acupuncture or Reiki, but I want to keep this simple and most people do not do these therapies consistently throughout their life).

Surprisingly, we do detox the most waste from our lungs, so breathe deep, clean air! Sensory input and output can be control through relaxation, mediation, therapy, etc. Most can easily find what relaxes them when they take the time to find out.

But food and drink are much more difficult to define. Essential amino acids, simple and complex carbohydrates, whole-food and synthetic vitamins, chelated and ionic minerals, saturated, poly-saturated, omega 3-6-9’s fats, cholesterol, sugars, fructose, glucose….I’m sure you get the idea. And these are the ‘macronutrients’! Different foods contain so many chemicals and nutrients, all acting differently alone then when combined.

Even beyond what we consume, we have several organs and hundreds of functions that occur in the digestive tract. All intertwined with our immune system, blood, brain and all other parts of the body. When the body is out of balance, it is not hard to see why digestive may be an accomplice, if not the main culprit.

Hormones are often thrown around as the cause of acne. Out-of-balance hormones are a symptom, not a cause of a health issue. It often said that stress can fluctuate hormones, but stress also wreaks havoc on the digestive system, so the two go hand-in-hand.

Finding the cause of your digestive issues can be a complex and time-consuming adventure. Food allergies and intolerances, gut flora, liver bile, gallstones, inflammatory bowel, hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid), constipation, IBS…and the list goes on and on. When your digestive system is out-of-balance, it is harder for you to absorb all those good nutrients and minerals. So all that organic produce is doing diddly-squat if your digestive system can’t absorb the food.

A lot of people have minor acne breakouts and healthier eating can help regulate the imbalance. But for some people, including myself, more severe and persistent acne can be a challenge to cure. It’s also not always a one step process and it’s not a once and done process either. I’m always trying to improve and maintain my gut health. It should be something that all of us should be aware of and striving for.

I don't think you're oversimplifying at all. :) You're definitely on the right track.

You bring up a good point which is that hormones aren't the root cause of acne, but they are a contributing factor. But hormones don't just pop up out of nowhere (our bodies have to produce them and certain conditions and foods can make us produce the wrong hormones and then everything goes wrong and we end up with a host of other health problems, not just acne.)

Yeah I agree with you on all that. I think you might be misunderstanding me though, I think all of those things are involved with acne. I just think they all go together,

Of course they all go together. That's what I said. That's what I've always said. That's why I made a giant thread listing all the many diet, lifestyle and health factors involved in acne with nearly 50,000 reads, and filled with hyperlinks from one issue to the other illustrating how one affects the other.. But you said we all had leaky gut. That's what causes acne. Period. I quote:

Here's the deal. Acne is caused by leaky gut and food sensitivity.

And no, we don't all have a problem with our digestion or such a problem that it's the root cause of our acne. I didn't suddenly develop leaky gut at age 10 when my acne started and didn't suffer from it for the next 30 years without noticing any symptoms other than acne. But of course, if you do have a gut permeability problem, you need to address it. And if you have some other issue that's a bigger factor for you, you need to address that.

And yes, I agree that everyone probably does something to harm their intestinal tract, but many also do things that heal it.

This is just like with the people that periodically appear having drawn the conclusion that we all have weak, subpar livers. They can see a connection in anyone and a weak liver. And that is because the liver is a factor. An important one that affects the many other factors like hormones and blood sugar. And most of us need to do things to improve its function/health. But no, we don't all have sub par livers.

The beauty of it is, the same basic diet and lifestyle habits help all the factors involved with acne.

Edited by alternativista