Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
twocoins

I've had acne for 6 years and it's only gotten worse| Pics.

Hi,

Joined the forum today, looking for some help, as I'm sure everyone else on here is. Hopefully I'll get some solid advice from the community. Any help is very much appreciated.

It started in my middle school years and it was very mild in the beginning, no big deal. Throughout high school it wasn't so bad either, but it had definitely progressed to a worse form. I started getting scars (or at least, what I think are scars).

Now, in college, I feel like I'm at my worst stage. I'm 20 years old and acne is starting to really bother me. I was a pretty confident kid in high school, but I've lost a lot of that. I'm nervous to talk to people, especially girls, because I'm afraid that they'll see exactly what I see when I look in the mirror. A kid with a lot of acne. I'm starting to look for more serious jobs and internships, and I'm worried possible employers won't take me seriously. I mean, I look like I'm still 16. Anyways, enough of this self pity rant.

I've tried numerous things:

Various proactiv regiments.

Cetaphil cleanse

Clearasil

Neutrogena deep clean

laser treatments

doxycycline

zinc

benzoyl peroxide

And many others that I'm forgetting about, I'm sure. The one thing that seems to actually help, sometimes, is proactiv's refining mask.

I think I'd classify my acne as moderate to severe, but again, I'm not sure. I attached two pictures of the sides of my faces (these are good days, too).

I have a derm appointment early May. It'll be my second time trying to get prescribed Accutane. Basically, I'm wondering, is my skin bad enough to get a strong prescription?

post-148796-1302642145_thumb.jpg

post-148796-1302642138_thumb.jpg

post-148796-1302642138_thumb.jpg

post-148796-1302642145_thumb.jpg

Edited by twocoins

seeing as you've tried so many things and your acne is so persistent I'd be very surprised if you didn't get prescribed accutane. The strength (IE mg/day or however you want to calculate it) is generally relative to the body weight and not to the severity of acne- a complete stab in the dark I'd assume you weighed between 70 and 80kg, so the maximum dose you'd be put on would most likely be 80mg; however, I personally believe a lower dose (for example, 20-40mg) over a longer period of time (IE 6-8 months instead of 4-5) is far more beneficial and will decrease the seveirty of the side effects you experience. Do a bit of research in to it on the boards from other people's experiences and have a chat with your derm- you'll most likely be put on an initial low(ish) dose and then it'll be increased after the first or second month!

BenVsAcne,

Appreciate the quick reply. I've done quiet a bit or lurking before my initial post, but I'm definitely still going to research as much as time allows (finals month).

Last time I went to my derm, she prescribed me the doxycycline which I've taken religiously. It sure as hell hasn't helped, if anything, I've only gotten worse since I've started it.

I really want to try Accutane, but I'm honestly really scared. I've heard horror stories, which I'm sure are sensationalized views from a minority, but at this point in my life, I'm willing to take the extra measure.

Is there anything I can do to convince my derm it's time for Accutane? I really don't want to waste my time and money with another appointment that'll just get me some other antibiotic.

BenVsAcne,

Appreciate the quick reply. I've done quiet a bit or lurking before my initial post, but I'm definitely still going to research as much as time allows (finals month).

Last time I went to my derm, she prescribed me the doxycycline which I've taken religiously. It sure as hell hasn't helped, if anything, I've only gotten worse since I've started it.

I really want to try Accutane, but I'm honestly really scared. I've heard horror stories, which I'm sure are sensationalized views from a minority, but at this point in my life, I'm willing to take the extra measure.

Is there anything I can do to convince my derm it's time for Accutane? I really don't want to waste my time and money with another appointment that'll just get me some other antibiotic.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/findpost-...l&hl=convey

Edited by biggs881

Of course I don't mean to say your skin is bad - but you definitely should qualify for Accutane. Tell them what you want - don't beat around the bush because they will try and throw other things at you. If its what you want I hope you get it and wish you the best of luck. I am curious about how lazr worked for you though?

Of course I don't mean to say your skin is bad - but you definitely should qualify for Accutane. Tell them what you want - don't beat around the bush because they will try and throw other things at you. If its what you want I hope you get it and wish you the best of luck. I am curious about how lazr worked for you though?

No worries. If my skin wasn't bad, I wouldn't be here for help.

I went through a couple of laser treatments around freshman year, I think. During that time, I only had acne on my forehead.

I didn't go to a dermatologist though, I went to some other skin related person. She was great. She would "correctly" pop my pimples and perform laser. The treatment was brutal, or maybe I'm just a wimp when it came to it. That said, it worked really well for me. Over time, the acne on my forehead disappeared. However, it seems to be making a reappearance now (though, years later).

Thanks, I'll give this a shot for the next two weeks. If I see improvements, I'll reconsider.

I don't think two weeks will be enough. If you read the forum you must wait at least 6 months to see major improvements.

I don't think two weeks will be enough. If you read the forum you must wait at least 6 months to see major improvements.

Well, I understand that it would take a while to see major improvements. But would I notice any improvements at all?

My only dilemma is that if I start Accutane, it would be in May. Starting it at a later date is difficult because I study in Canada while my healthcare provider is at home, in MA.

Guest i luv elizabeth taylor

What is your diet like? For a lot of people this can be the difference between healthy skin and breakouts. I changed my diet, added some supplements, and stopped using anything but water to wash my face and my acne cleared up. Maybe your acne isn't related to diet, but if it is it would be worth cutting out some things to see how it affects your skin.

What is your diet like? For a lot of people this can be the difference between healthy skin and breakouts. I changed my diet, added some supplements, and stopped using anything but water to wash my face and my acne cleared up. Maybe your acne isn't related to diet, but if it is it would be worth cutting out some things to see how it affects your skin.

I really don't think it has to do with my diet. I've been one of the healthiest eaters I know of since my early teenage years.

I never eat fastfood, I never drink soda. I only drink water, cranberry juice, and teas (usually greens). I eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

My breakfasts tend to consist of oatmeal, hard boil egg whites, and pita w hummus. Lunches tend to be some sort of sandwich, granola bar, apple. Dinners vary, but you get the idea. Pasta, chicken, mashed potatoes, etc. Only downfall is chocolate, but I'm able to limit my intake of it.

If you have tried everything else, then Accutane is the next best option. It works differently for everyone. Do not let other people on the Internet influence your decision. You need to decide to go on the medicine for yourself. Do your own research and decide if it is worth it. It is a strong medication and can dry you out severely and make you achy during the course that you take it. I took it from October 2010 to March 2011. It was definitely worth it for me to take it considering the multitude of products that I had tried and considering the crazy amount of money I wasted on over-the-counter products that only gave me temporary relief.