Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Idolator

Alternative to Benzaclin? (PLEASE HELP!)

So, I went to the dermatologist a month ago and he gave me a bunch of samples of "Benzaclin", which is a topical you apply to your face that is a mixture of Benzoyl Peroxide and Cindamycin. It was working great, and has cleared up my acne amazingly. Unfortunately, I ran out of the samples yesterday, so I called up my dermatologist, and he told me that he no longer had anymore in stock.

So now I'm stuck, I don't want my face to go back to looking like hell, so I need to find an alternative for that stuff.

I'd just buy some Benzaclin, but my insurance doesn't cover the costs, and if I just payed for it with my own money it'd cost me $200+, which is OUTRAGEOUS.

I have a giant bottle of the Acne.org 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide, but I used that stuff for about a year prior to this, and it just eventually stopped working for me. So I don't think going back to that will help my face at all. Should I just take my chances at getting some generic Benzoyl Peroxide from the store then, since the Acne.org recipe seems to not be working for me any longer?

I'm just confused as to why Benzaclin will work for me, but the Acne.org BP won't work for me. Is the Cindamycin ingredient in Benzaclin the key to helping my face? Or is that not even an important part of the topical?

Any help would be great, thanks.

I'm just confused as to why Benzaclin will work for me, but the Acne.org BP won't work for me. Is the Cindamycin ingredient in Benzaclin the key to helping my face? Or is that not even an important part of the topical?

The Clindamycin is a topical antibiotic and is pretty effective in improving acne when used by itself. So its definitely possible the improvement in results you are seeing is due to the Clindamycin.

The Benzaclin is so expensive because its a combination of 2 medications. You could ask you doctor about getting a script for a topical BP and separate topical clindamycin as a much cheaper alternative.

The Clindamycin is a topical antibiotic and is pretty effective in improving acne when used by itself. So its definitely possible the improvement in results you are seeing is due to the Clindamycin.

The Benzaclin is so expensive because its a combination of 2 medications. You could ask you doctor about getting a script for a topical BP and separate topical clindamycin as a much cheaper alternative.

Ohh ok, that makes sense then.

So are you saying that I should just try buying both of those individually, since it'd be cheaper than purchasing Benzaclin?

If I mixed the two products, could I get something similar to Benzaclin? Or would mixing them together, like make neither work?

Thanks for the reply, by the way.

Edited by Symmetry

Hi! My insurance also does not cover benzaclin but my dermatologist instructed me to buy a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream (I got the Target store brand) and mix it with my prescription clindamycin before I apply it. It has been working well for me! Good luck! :)

Hi! My insurance also does not cover benzaclin but my dermatologist instructed me to buy a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream (I got the Target store brand) and mix it with my prescription clindamycin before I apply it. It has been working well for me! Good luck! :)

How much is your prescription Clindamycin?

Well now after looking at a lot of webpages that warn about the side effects of Clindamycin, I'm rather scared to apply it to my face now. Especially since I've had some of the side effects, but not nearly as extreme yet.

I believe a tube of the clindamycin costs me $10 or $15. I also take retin-a so I can't remember which costs what. Are you looking at the side effects for the topical clindamycin or the oral form of it? I know the side effects for oral antibiotics tend to be worse than those for the topical.