Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Austinn

I just don't understand.

I am a fifteen year old boy who's been dealing with acne since 7th grade. However, this year, it seemed to worsen or maybe I've just taken more notice to it. I usually get a break out and it'll last for about two weeks and then my face will be clear for a week. And then it'll happen again. I don't get why this happens. I mostly get whiteheads but they leave scarring, even if when I don't touch it. The scars are what I worry about the most though.

But my question is, is there any type of medicine that will balance my hormones? I'm sure my acne is hormonal/stress related since I clean my face every single night. Any suggestions?

At your age, I would not suggest any sort of hormonal treatments. Unfortunately, acne is a normal part of life (puberty) and hopefully just a stage that will pass with time. Your hormones will balance out when you grow older.

If you're gently cleaning your face once or twice a day and aren't seeing results, trying using a cleanser with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it. This will be at CVS/Walgreen/Walmart/Target, etc. There are lotions, face washes, creams, and other alternatives with one of these ingredients. Look on the back of the package: the salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide should be listed as an Active Ingredient. No matter what you choose, make sure to follow the directions on the packaging. Also, do not pick at your acne. Finally, once you start using one of these products, you may have to wait a full 4-6 weeks to see any substantial improvement, so be patient!

If this doesn't help or makes the problem worse, or if this is really affecting your self-esteem, don't be afraid to see a dermatologist. They know much more about this subject than you or I, so trust them!

One last thing: salicylic acid is generally used for whiteheads and blackheads, while benzoyl peroxide is used for your common "zit" or pimple.