Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What I have right now is what looks like congestion bumps on my forehead. It looks rough textured under the wrong light. I also have persistent whiteheads..i think? Every week I get a few! I never get anything big, or never anything that hurts. Just tiny pimples that usually go away after a few days. Every little thing I get on my face though leaves a mark! I am wondering is there a grading scale for acne. Besides just simply mild, moderate, severe. Im ASSUMING mine is mild...but is there like a scale of mild?? Also, what do you think of lactic acid to help marks and congestion? Please give me some advice

You should order the AHA from this website, its an exfoliant (so will get rid of your blackheads) and it will help with your red marks.

You should order the AHA from this website, its an exfoliant (so will get rid of your blackheads) and it will help with your red marks.

I just recieved a %55 lactic acid peel which I have heard good things about..but am scared to try it! Have you used lactic acid before?

To me it seems like this is very mild, maybe not even acne - Your blemishes seem to be small, and more towards bumps than pimples - this is a good thing. I would bet you have some minor problems that could be corrected yielding much benefit - like skin impurities, a need to exfoliate, possible spiced/greesey/irritating foods [because of the blemishes near your mouth] - something along those lines; I don't think you should hop on something HXC like scripts or a 3-step - people who do this which mild acne tend to worsen the nature of their typical blemish [i did]. Try washing your face with Cetaphil, and just spot treating your blemishes with a BP (try the drugstore brand 10%). If you really feel it necessary to use an active ingredient on your entire face try Clindamycin phosphate 1% it fights acne by killing bacteria and not drying/destroying the skin - this would reduce your chance of unintentionally worsening your acne. Also I know they are miracle cures fro some people, but I know too many people that have horror stories from the stronger oral acne treatments - I recommend staying away :nuke:

gl

Edited by hockeymc16

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I use a system that is all about exfolliation. Its a benzoyl peroxide exfolliating cleanser I use twice a day. I can't figure out why I still get persistent whiteheads. How do I know the difference between a Whitehead and pustule? I assume Whitehead because its tiny doesn't hurt and dries up fast..but doesn't pustules too? Thanks for the replies!

I use a system that is all about exfolliation. Its a benzoyl peroxide exfolliating cleanser I use twice a day. I can't figure out why I still get persistent whiteheads. How do I know the difference between a Whitehead and pustule? I assume Whitehead because its tiny doesn't hurt and dries up fast..but doesn't pustules too? Thanks for the replies!

Using a cleanser with BP in it is probably one of the biggest things irritating your skin right now - the medication is never able to penetrate acne, and it just rapes the outer layer of your skin then gets washed off

Using a cleanser with BP in it is probably one of the biggest things irritating your skin right now - the medication is never able to penetrate acne, and it just rapes the outer layer of your skin then gets washed off

really? My esthiticion gave me this 3 step system which is the benzoyl peroxide cleanser, an exfolliating cream that has sulfur and resorcinol that I apply every night, and a clay mask I use a few times a week? PLUS I steam, and have my own microdermabrasion system. I hope this isnt what is making it worse :/On top of that, taking doxycycline, spironolactone, and taking many vitamins. AAAAND staying away from a lot of sugar and drinking tons of water...

I would have thought my skin would have been flawless by now? :(

really? My esthiticion gave me this 3 step system which is the benzoyl peroxide cleanser, an exfolliating cream that has sulfur and resorcinol that I apply every night, and a clay mask I use a few times a week? PLUS I steam, and have my own microdermabrasion system. I hope this isnt what is making it worse :/On top of that, taking doxycycline, spironolactone, and taking many vitamins. AAAAND staying away from a lot of sugar and drinking tons of water...

It sound like your over killing right now. I'm sorry, I'm not an expert though. But if your gonna use BP get a cream, or gel so it can actually penetrate your pores and do some good. ditch that cleanser. I don't think sulfer everynight is a good idea either! and cut down to one oral medication! From what you described it doesn't sound like your acne merits this method of attack - this sounds like an approach someone covered in cystic acne would take. Your getting me worried your gonna spawn yourself some cosmetic acne (be careful messing with your skins chemical makeup). Do whatever works for you and I wish you the best but I'm really worried your doing more harm than good & I wanna see your skin get better gurrrrrl

It sound like your over killing right now. I'm sorry, I'm not an expert though. But if your gonna use BP get a cream, or gel so it can actually penetrate your pores and do some good. ditch that cleanser. I don't think sulfer everynight is a good idea either! and cut down to one oral medication! From what you described it doesn't sound like your acne merits this method of attack - this sounds like an approach someone covered in cystic acne would take. Your getting me worried your gonna spawn yourself some cosmetic acne (be careful messing with your skins chemical makeup). Do whatever works for you and I wish you the best but I'm really worried your doing more harm than good & I wanna see your skin get better gurrrrrl

Hm, I see what you mean though..Thank you for your suggestions! I have been told I am taking it overboard with everything. But my doctors are the ones prescribing these pills..and my esthiticion the system. Im taking knowledge from professionals, yet my skin still isnt the way it should be which makes me think your right!

Hm, I see what you mean though..Thank you for your suggestions! I have been told I am taking it overboard with everything. But my doctors are the ones prescribing these pills..and my esthiticion the system. Im taking knowledge from professionals, yet my skin still isnt the way it should be which makes me think your right!

Keep in mind you're a dollar sign to them as well as a patient/customer ;)

haha ya your so right! Have you ever been on antibiotics for your skin?

haha ya your so right! Have you ever been on antibiotics for your skin?

The clindamycin I mentioned in my first post is a topical antibiotic

What I have right now is what looks like congestion bumps on my forehead. It looks rough textured under the wrong light. I also have persistent whiteheads..i think? Every week I get a few! I never get anything big, or never anything that hurts. Just tiny pimples that usually go away after a few days. Every little thing I get on my face though leaves a mark! I am wondering is there a grading scale for acne. Besides just simply mild, moderate, severe. Im ASSUMING mine is mild...but is there like a scale of mild?? Also, what do you think of lactic acid to help marks and congestion? Please give me some advice

I really think you should put the BP and microdermabrasion (how often do you do this?) on hold for a couple of weeks and switch instead to a gentle, mild cleanser with a pH of no more than 7. Then treat with salicylic acid which will open up your pores and clean out all the crap from them - about 2% SA is a good choice. Medication-wise - looks like you're loading your system with a whole lotta stuff so it will be hard to decide which is helping and which is hurting your skin.

But these two changes should hopefully improve the whiteheads issue. If not, drop everything and get yourself some Manuka Oil. Seriously, I've been using this stuff since the past few days, not even a week yet - and it has improved the state of my horrible inflamed acne as well as the little whiteheads, more dramatically than anything else - and with minimal irritation. I had a HORRIBLE breakout from leaving a 10% salicylic acid peel on for too long - this calmed it down in just a few short days - normally it would stick around for over a week.

Edited by Princess87

I don't think you should hop on something HXC like scripts or a 3-step - people who do this which mild acne tend to worsen the nature of their typical blemish [i did].

I agree w/ that

I think your overdoing it and making it worse

Good advice to take..I had mild acne..went on proactiv for a year = cystic acne

Id kill to have what I thought was bad then now

I got pics if you wanna see what happened.. :wall:

Edited by freakNpink

I really think you should put the BP and microdermabrasion (how often do you do this?) on hold for a couple of weeks and switch instead to a gentle, mild cleanser with a pH of no more than 7. Then treat with salicylic acid which will open up your pores and clean out all the crap from them - about 2% SA is a good choice. Medication-wise - looks like you're loading your system with a whole lotta stuff so it will be hard to decide which is helping and which is hurting your skin.

But these two changes should hopefully improve the whiteheads issue. If not, drop everything and get yourself some Manuka Oil. Seriously, I've been using this stuff since the past few days, not even a week yet - and it has improved the state of my horrible inflamed acne as well as the little whiteheads, more dramatically than anything else - and with minimal irritation. I had a HORRIBLE breakout from leaving a 10% salicylic acid peel on for too long - this calmed it down in just a few short days - normally it would stick around for over a week.

I only microderm once a week on a few areas...

My main concern is red marks left from previous blemishes. You left on the salicylic acid too long?!how long?? I just purchased a lactic acid peel 55% and want to use it ONLY on red marks. What do you think?

My main concern is red marks left from previous blemishes. You left on the salicylic acid too long?!how long?? I just purchased a lactic acid peel 55% and want to use it ONLY on red marks. What do you think?

I normally leave the SA on for 5 minutes max but last time, I was doing it after a long time so I figured it would have more 'stuff' to get out of my pores and left it for about 12-15 minutes - BAD idea. My skin went ballistic, broke out all over my cheeks in huge inflamed pimples and my chin was in the worst state I've ever seen it - literally plastered with painful pustules/papules/whiteheads.

I used a 40% lactic peel a few times and had virtually no results. But it didn't aggravate my acne at all, which I consider a plus. 55% strength for red marks should give you some results, but it may take time as lactic is not the strongest peel out there. I see that as a good thing because skin peels are really not the best idea in the long term...they thin out your skin and have plenty of side effects. For my red marks I tried ACV for a very short time (too short to tell whether it works or not) but found it was causing me to break out in whiteheads, most likely because it wasn't diluted enough - I'll try it again once I've diluted it more. Now I'm experimenting with Likas Papaya soap - only a couple of days so too early to say, but I like how it cleanses and smells.

Once a week microdermabrasion is fine but if you're using a peel too, you would be better off choosing one or the other.

I'm still on the Manuka and boy is it making a difference. I'm still quite hesitant to go all out with the praise but I can very honestly say that this is the BEST thing that I at least, have used on my skin - EVER. I even like the smell, which most people list as their only issue with it. Gorgeous stuff.

Edited by Princess87

Did you cut down yet lyssgirl? lol

:ghost: watching you*

I am using my cleanser still but I am not gonna use the sulfur every night. Unless I'm just spot treating. And I cut back on some pills..I do want to try the lactic acid on some red marks though. What do u think?

I normally leave the SA on for 5 minutes max but last time, I was doing it after a long time so I figured it would have more 'stuff' to get out of my pores and left it for about 12-15 minutes - BAD idea. My skin went ballistic, broke out all over my cheeks in huge inflamed pimples and my chin was in the worst state I've ever seen it - literally plastered with painful pustules/papules/whiteheads.

I used a 40% lactic peel a few times and had virtually no results. But it didn't aggravate my acne at all, which I consider a plus. 55% strength for red marks should give you some results, but it may take time as lactic is not the strongest peel out there. I see that as a good thing because skin peels are really not the best idea in the long term...they thin out your skin and have plenty of side effects. For my red marks I tried ACV for a very short time (too short to tell whether it works or not) but found it was causing me to break out in whiteheads, most likely because it wasn't diluted enough - I'll try it again once I've diluted it more. Now I'm experimenting with Likas Papaya soap - only a couple of days so too early to say, but I like how it cleanses and smells.

Once a week microdermabrasion is fine but if you're using a peel too, you would be better off choosing one or the other.

I'm still on the Manuka and boy is it making a difference. I'm still quite hesitant to go all out with the praise but I can very honestly say that this is the BEST thing that I at least, have used on my skin - EVER. I even like the smell, which most people list as their only issue with it. Gorgeous stuff.

Wow that is scary! I have had three professional peels done that had a week of down time but they were a while ago and I have new marks to combat. How many lactic acid 55% peels do you think I need to see marks fade?

Good job. Yes use your sulfur as a spot treatment, but apply it to your entire face 1-2 times a week that's what most of them say in the directions. before trying a harsh acid to reduce red marks please try this - it works miracles for me, literally can take a blemish from red to my natural skin color in a 2 days.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134132

and ofcourse if you ever feel up to it switch the cleanser, for a couple days just to see if it helps :)

Good job. Yes use your sulfur as a spot treatment, but apply it to your entire face 1-2 times a week that's what most of them say in the directions. before trying a harsh acid to reduce red marks please try this - it works miracles for me, literally can take a blemish from red to my natural skin color in a 2 days.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134132

and ofcourse if you ever feel up to it switch the cleanser, for a couple days just to see if it helps :)

ok cool! Thank you for all your help! :)

Hey there I have the same problem too, except mine is on the verge on being inflamed! To solve this problem, I went to a skin clinic. I also seek help from my aunt who has been an esthetician for 20 years! So this is the information that I've got:

According to my aunt:

1. If you're using harsh products like AHA and BHA, make sure you get enough water-based products on your skin! And make sure use a water based sun block! Consider investing on a bottle of good hyaluronic acid. It aids with skin healing and retents moisture in your skin!

2. Don't try using oil-based products because they can worsen your condition.

3. Get a non-comedogenic moisturizer

4. Those bumps are sometimes hormonal, that's why they keep growing. I had mine extracted ten times. I had hundreds of them still.

According to the nurse at the skin clinic:

1. Don't use too much of AHA or BHA. Use a little. A little goes a very long way

2. If you're considering a peel, do a BHA or salicylic peel. Start mild, like 8 percent and if necessary work your way up! Don't do this at home! Get a prof. to do it!

3. After the peel, you must take care!!! And one peel is not going to be enough.

4. Don't go for a microdermabrasion because the infection may spread! A chemical peel would be wiser.

My current condition:

I am taking a combination of zinc, fish oil, EPO and grapeseed extract. I eat mother loads of yogurt to rescue my skin, in case it's due to yeast overload in my body. I also exercise a lot and make sure that I have a balanced diet! I did a BHA peel 8 percent last week and my skin is better than before. I'm using a mixture of PHA products and AHA products. :D

Can't say the peel is not working. My skin has never glowed for three months and finally it is NOW! I still got blemishes but hey, it's my first chem peel. I can't expect much. :) I'm glad that they are smaller by 50 percent and that my blackheads come off easily.

Hope this helps.

Note: I'm battling this problem inside and out!

P.s: As you can see

Edited by micheniche