Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BPH1994

Lemons and Acne

Hey guys, I'm new because I've never really had an acne problem up until now. I've used acne pads, but they don't seem to help much, so now I'm trying the lemon slices trick...

Tell me if I'm doing this right...

I rinsed my face with warm water. I took a slice of lemon that I just bought from the grocery, put a teaspoon of brown sugar on this slice, then smeared it on my face. I used an additional slice because I wasn't feel the stinging sensation of the juice as expected. Right now I'm about to rinse it off, but can somebody tell me if I'm doing it right?

Edited by BPH1994

That's whack. Unless your trying to get rid of scars. In which case you should try turmeric mixed with lemon juice and honey. Apply as mask for 15 min then wash off.

Be careful using citrus fruits like lime and lemon. They increase the photosensitivity of your skin. In other words, your skin will be more sensitive to sunlight and can get damaged more easily. Although lemon is recommended in a number of natural skin remedies, it is not uncommon to suggest protecting your skin afterwards with SPF, or just limiting your use of such products.

If you are looking for natural remedies to help with your acne because you are tired of the drugstore items there are thousands of ways to do it. I actually haven't heard of this lemon and brown sugar trick, but like I said, I stay away from lemon.

I can suggest a couple that I have been enjoying recently:

Green Tea Toner: If you happen to be a green tea drinker, this will be perfect for you. Brew up a very strong cup of green tea (use two tea bags if you need to), chill it in the fridge (this may take a couple hours), then pour it into a small spray bottle (make sure it is rinsed very clean!). After you cleanse your face, or anytime you feel the need to freshen up (and you aren't wearing any makeup), spray some of the green tea either directly on your face or onto a cotton pad and apply to your face. Wiping with a cotton pad can remove dirt and oils from the face while the green tea acts as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, decreasing redness. Sometimes I spray it on my chest or even in my hair to freshen up. Keep this in the fridge as it will grow bacteria if not kept cool. Make a new batch in about a week too.

You can also add other things to your toner depending on exactly what you want it to do:

- if you have oily skin add tea tree oil. This can be purchased from any health food store, and some grocery stores in their organic sections. It typically comes in a small bottle. Add a few drops to your toner. Tea tree is very cleansing and anti-bacterial. It will keep longer than green tea. Be careful though, as if you apply too much of it at once or too often it can be a bit harsh on the skin.

- fresh thyme is also an anti-bacterial. While brewing your green tea add some thyme to add extra anti-bacterial qualities to your toner.

- honey is very soothing and softening for the skin. Add a touch of honey while brewing your toner for a less harsh toner than tea tree.

- some people will recommend adding lemon to this as well.... but you know how I feel about lemon haha.

Honey Mask: mix 100% natural/organic, non-pasteurized honey with cinnamon to make an effective spot treatment. Add to pimples and leave on overnight. Be careful because it will get all over your pillow! If you hate that idea then just leaving it on an hour or two before bed will be sufficient. Sometimes this works as a quick fix - it will push all of the goop to the surface and help heal the pimple faster. But sometimes the effects are a bit slower and it requires some patience. It basically helps clean out the bacteria and quicken the healing process of the skin.

Try using just pure honey as a facial mask. It is incredibly softening and if used often and you are patient will benefit the skin in the long run as well, speeding up its healing qualities. I would suggest using the cinnamon with it for a full mask. It can be a bit harsh considering the cinnamon will act as an exfoliator when you are rinsing it off, which may irritate the skin.

Here's another good one for fighting acne:

Strawberries!: Strawberries naturally contain salicylic acid, commonly found in a lot of drugstore acne remedies. To ward off acne create your own facial mask using mashed up strawberries. Make sure when you mash them up you don't let them get too watery or else it won't apply to your face very well. Mix it with basically whatever you want, depending on what else you want the mask to do. Mixing it with honey is common, especially since the softening and healing qualities of the honey compliment the qualities of the salicylic acid. For a very soothing mask try adding plain, natural yogurt as well. Apply to your face and leave on for 10-20 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water, ending with a splash of cold, lightly patting your skin dry with a towel.

If you find strawberries are working well for you, there are tons of interesting recipes online you can try as well.

I wouldn't suggest rubbing anything on your face especially a lemon. If you have acne just use a light cleanser and moisturizer. so not experiment with anything. i have tried everything and all those things like lemons and strawberries just irritate the skin more especially if your skin is not used to them. just use a cleanser gently such as purpose cleanser or cethaphil and a light moisturizer. Apply these day and night 10 to 12 hours apart.

Here's another good one for fighting acne:

Strawberries!: Strawberries naturally contain salicylic acid, commonly found in a lot of drugstore acne remedies. To ward off acne create your own facial mask using mashed up strawberries. Make sure when you mash them up you don't let them get too watery or else it won't apply to your face very well. Mix it with basically whatever you want, depending on what else you want the mask to do. Mixing it with honey is common, especially since the softening and healing qualities of the honey compliment the qualities of the salicylic acid. For a very soothing mask try adding plain, natural yogurt as well. Apply to your face and leave on for 10-20 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water, ending with a splash of cold, lightly patting your skin dry with a towel.

If you find strawberries are working well for you, there are tons of interesting recipes online you can try as well.

That sounds delicious.

If you're going to do anything with lemons, squeeze half of a fresh one in to a glass of warm water as soon as you get up and about thirty minutes to an hour before you eat anything. It's really beneficial to your digestive and immune system. If you can't handle the sourness (It's not really that sour anyway) put a bit of thin, water soluble honey in there too.

It may or may not help with acne (My guess is that it does, after I started doing it and using some other products like pine tar and sulfur soap, I started to clear up) but it's good for you and will only help your body.

Michelle fan uses the tops of tomatos as a sugar scrub pad. All she does is dip it in sugar.

I can see why the OP used brown sugar in place of white, as brown sugar dissolves faster. If you have inflamed skin the white sugar might be too rough. I also recommend not going over zits with a scrub, breaking them open can lead to redness and possible scarring for a lot of people!

If using straight up lemon is too harsh for you, you can always juice it and dillute it into water as well! Some even whip the juice into some egg whites for a facial mask!