Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
markney

Interrupted accutane, broken bones, and Lifeguarding-My Struggle

I apologize in advance for the excessive length and i sincerely appreciate advice. We're all in this together, my friends.

Well ive been fighting back/shoulders/facial acne for a couple years now. Last summer i was able to clear it up with Tretinoin gel (atralin) and minocycline 100mg/day (these two are godsends). But this fall/winter, my acne was back with a vengeance. After trying some crap gels, i started accutane. After 2 months (1 month 40mg/day and 1 month 60mg/day), i shattered my wrist pole vaulting. My derm demanded i stop my cycle. Six weeks later, i am about to start accutane again, at 40/day. But the catch is that my derm wont let me take it in the summer, so she said only 2 months this round (i live in Indiana, and my derm is worried about sun sensitivity, though i am of Egyptian descent and am farely dark complected/rarely burn). I have been using Atralin and minocycline again (both of my parents are doctors so prescriptions are easy) to try and clear up before i start my summer job lifeguarding. What effect will interrupting/resarting accutane have? Should i continue using atralin, mino, or both while i start accutane? Should i get my parents to keep me on accutane through the summer/until i clear? AND most importantly, can i clear up my very embarrasing back acne before i start lifeguarding?

Extra info: 180 athletic 17year old male. 5'10". Attached are pictures of my current state of affairs =/

post-148733-1302559929_thumb.jpg

post-148733-1302559944_thumb.jpg

post-148733-1302559929_thumb.jpg

post-148733-1302559944_thumb.jpg

I apologize in advance for the excessive length and i sincerely appreciate advice. We're all in this together, my friends.

Well ive been fighting back/shoulders/facial acne for a couple years now. Last summer i was able to clear it up with Tretinoin gel (atralin) and minocycline 100mg/day (these two are godsends). But this fall/winter, my acne was back with a vengeance. After trying some crap gels, i started accutane. After 2 months (1 month 40mg/day and 1 month 60mg/day), i shattered my wrist pole vaulting. My derm demanded i stop my cycle. Six weeks later, i am about to start accutane again, at 40/day. But the catch is that my derm wont let me take it in the summer, so she said only 2 months this round (i live in Indiana, and my derm is worried about sun sensitivity, though i am of Egyptian descent and am farely dark complected/rarely burn). I have been using Atralin and minocycline again (both of my parents are doctors so prescriptions are easy) to try and clear up before i start my summer job lifeguarding. What effect will interrupting/resarting accutane have? Should i continue using atralin, mino, or both while i start accutane? Should i get my parents to keep me on accutane through the summer/until i clear? AND most importantly, can i clear up my very embarrasing back acne before i start lifeguarding?

Extra info: 180 athletic 17year old male. 5'10". Attached are pictures of my current state of affairs =/

Just listen to your derm. Don't take anything else on Accutane, especially minocycline.

Your parents won't be allowed to prescribe you Accutane unless they're Dermatologists.

I would also avoid Accutane in summer if you're a life guard, but hopefully you'll be clearer by then anyway.

I would go for the highest dose your derm will allow.

Good luck.

Edited by biggs881