Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sophiebecky

Prescribed antibiotics for one week in month...

Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums, I discovered them while looking for some info on the treatments I have been prescribed today.

I have had acne now for 7 years, I was 22 when it first flared up and had no trouble with spots during my teenage years. I would describe my acne as mild/moderate it would be mainly spots(boulders), blackheads etc.

Last year my doctor prescribed me: Tetralysal 300mg hardcapsules also says they are called lymecycline408mg. I was to take 1 a day or 2 months and then come back, after 2 months there was a difference but not a dramatic one so it was agreed (finally) that I needed to see a dermatologist.

9 months later I got my appointment which was today, I happened to mention that my flare ups got worse just before my period but my gp had sent me for blood tests which seemed to rule out pcos. I also explained that I had been on antibiotics the year before and they were a slight success.

So basically the dermatologist prescribed me the same antibiotic that I was on last year! Until today I only knew it as Tetrasyl and he wrote lymecycline on prescription!!! If I had known I would have defo asked for something different! I'm only to take it the week before my period is due!! Topically I've been given zineryt solution to use at night and skinoren 0.2g cream to use in the morning. I feel annoyed hes given me something I used before which didn't work plus only to use the week before my period!

Any advice or similar experiences would be great :D

You're also using two topicals in addition to the antibiotic. See if that helps, give it a real try.

Prescribing the medication like that, one week a month, helps prevent bacterial resistance AND also provides an anti-inflammatory effect. So give it a try and reserve judgment. It will all likely work synergistically together, better than you expect. :)

Thanks for ur reply,

That makes sense! I was worried because it can take up to 2 months for the antibiotics to work and if I'm only taken them 1 week in the month will they get a chance to start working before the end of the week? I'm totally new to this world of medication!

Thanks for ur reply,

That makes sense! I was worried because it can take up to 2 months for the antibiotics to work and if I'm only taken them 1 week in the month will they get a chance to start working before the end of the week? I'm totally new to this world of medication!

They'll start working with the first dose; that's what antibiotics do. :) They kill bacteria through various means.

That's why for a respiratory or urinary tract infection, the patient takes a week or so of meds and then does not need to take more because the infection is killed.

However, I do not know offhand if lymecycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic (kills lots of different kinds of bugs or is more narrow ranged, targeting fewer bugs). Whichever it is, it is a good idea to take probiotics during the weeks when you're not taking the antibiotic to help replenish SOME of the bacteria that are killed off by the antibiotic. Antibiotics don't look at an acne bug and kill it, they see ALL bacteria that their type of antibiotic targets, and kills them. Some of the killed bacteria you may actually need, so probiotic supplementation is a good idea. Docs here (where I live) most often recommend lactobacillus as it's a commonly killed bacteria in your intestines. You can check out Nutrition and Holistic health forum for other suggestions for probiotics you might want to consider. Good luck!