Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm vitriolically angry and frustrated with my dermatologist because she is refusing to let me try accutane. i do not have cystic acne but i do have moderate persistant acne that i have suffered from for 11 years, 4 of which i wasted at her office. i have tried everything: every single topical known to man, antibiotics for almost 2 years, and i went to a plastic surgeon for the chemical peels this lady also refused to do for me. i did a series of six which did improve my skin but i still break out frequently everyday; my face is never without some form of acne. not only that, but i'm susceptable to hyperpigmentation, which is like the gift that keeps on giving, because even when i have little acne on my face all the residual dark spots make me look crazy. even when i try to fade them, new pimples that have "healed" replace the old dark spots.

i've tried explaining to her that the chemical peels i did elsewhere were the last straw and were the last topical solution i was going to try. i want accutane, because i'm am tired of fighting with my skin, trying out 10 billion topicals at once, and generally obssesing about my skin. i want to be free not to wear makeup, i want to look in a mirror and like what i see, and i don't want to be fighting active acne AND wrinkles at the same time, which i know will happen if i don't clear up by the time i hit my 30's. i know accutane will finally clear me.

she faked me out by giving me the ipledge packet, a prescription for bloodwork, and telling me to go on birth control. 2 weeks before our next appointment, after i did everything she asked, she told me that she changed her mind, she was refusing to put me accutane, because my acne is not cystic. :evil: when i did get to the next appointment, she transparently showed how greedy she was because had the nerve to tell me that she won't let me try accutane, something my insurance will cover, but she would try a NEW AND EXPERIMENTAL $400 a treatment blue light laser that the dermatologist's office just got. the laser apparently destroys the sebaceous glands the way accutane does. I DON'T CARE. the chemical peels i tried were the last completely out of pocket expense i plan to incur because even they didn't fully work.

i'm done with experimenting and throwing money out the window. why should i forgo a car payment or god knows what else, for something this idiot has barely used on anyone and doesn't know if it works. i want the last resort medication, i want accutane. maybe there was a reason they kept giving me ineffective treatment. if i kept coming back, it meant more money in their pockets. at this point i don't know what to do. i have all the paperwork, bloodwork, and birthcontrol in place to be on this medication, and i'm wondering how soon i can get on it, or if any other doctor will place me on it without knowing how horrifying my skin looked before and not knowing all the treatments i have tried. not to mention that i have to get referrals to go to a derm and my pcp has made it difficult to schedule an appointment to get a referral at a time that fits with my schedule. at this point, i feel stuck with this derm's office. i'm really trying to get on accutane before the summer hits and my skin looks especially disgusting. i'm so tired, angry, and frustrated that i am understanding why people have turned to illegal means to access this medication. i don't know what to do.

Edited by mlyric

i'm vitriolically angry and frustrated with my dermatologist because she is refusing to let me try accutane. i do not have cystic acne but i do have moderate persistant acne that i have suffered from for 11 years, 4 of which i wasted at her office. i have tried everything: every single topical known to man, antibiotics for almost 2 years, and i went to a plastic surgeon for the chemical peels this lady also refused to do for me. i did a series of six which did improve my skin but i still break out frequently everyday; my face is never without some form of acne. not only that, but i'm susceptable to hyperpigmentation, which is like the gift that keeps on giving, because even when i have little acne on my face all the residual dark spots make me look crazy. even when i try to fade them, new pimples that have "healed" replace the old dark spots.

i've tried explaining to her that the chemical peels i did elsewhere were the last straw and were the last topical solution i was going to try. i want accutane, because i'm am tired of fighting with my skin, trying out 10 billion topicals at once, and generally obssesing about my skin. i want to be free not to wear makeup, i want to look in a mirror and like what i see, and i don't want to be fighting active acne AND wrinkles at the same time, which i know will happen if i don't clear up by the time i hit my 30's. i know accutane will finally clear me.

she faked me out by giving me the ipledge packet, a prescription for bloodwork, and telling me to go on birth control. 2 weeks before our next appointment, after i did everything she asked, she told me that she changed her mind, she was refusing to put me accutane, because my acne is not cystic. :evil: when i did get to the next appointment, she transparently showed how greedy she was because had the nerve to tell me that she won't let me try accutane, something my insurance will cover, but she would try a NEW AND EXPERIMENTAL $400 a treatment blue light laser that the dermatologist's office just got. the laser apparently destroys the sebaceous glands the way accutane does. I DON'T CARE. the chemical peels i tried were the last completely out of pocket expense i plan to incur because even they didn't fully work.

i'm done with experimenting and throwing money out the window. why should i forgo a car payment or god knows what else, for something this idiot has barely used on anyone and doesn't know if it works. i want the last resort medication, i want accutane. maybe there was a reason they kept giving me ineffective treatment. if i kept coming back, it meant more money in their pockets. at this point i don't know what to do. i have all the paperwork, bloodwork, and birthcontrol in place to be on this medication, and i'm wondering how soon i can get on it, or if any other doctor will place me on it without knowing how horrifying my skin looked before and not knowing all the treatments i have tried. not to mention that i have to get referrals to go to a derm and my pcp has made it difficult to schedule an appointment to get a referral at a time that fits with my schedule. at this point, i feel stuck with this derm's office. i'm really trying to get on accutane before the summer hits and my skin looks especially disgusting. i'm so tired, angry, and frustrated that i am understanding why people have turned to illegal means to access this medication. i don't know what to do.

Read this post. Failing all in there, get a new derm.

When there's a will, there's a way.

Good luck.

P.S Have you tried hormonal approaches to treating your acne like BCP or spiro?

Edited by jimmy188