Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, so I decided to do a log. At first, logs and reading about accutane journeys in general kind of scared me, and I wanted to steer away from doing so. However, I've realized that not only can I learn a lot from the people here, but they're also a very helpful group of people :)

With that being said, let me give you some context to my acne history.

I've had mild acne since I was in 6th grade. I am currently 17 years old. ProActiv really cleared me up, but I would get an occasional under-the-skin pimple, so I decided to go to the dermatologist at around October of 2010 (16 years old). She prescribed me differin and duac. Duac made me breakout, so I switched to just differin. It got rid of under-the-skin bumps, but I never was completely comfortable with my skin. Then, in December, I started getting forehead acne, which had never EVER occurred before. Then I started getting cystic acne around the edge and jawline of my face, which also never happened before. I finally went to my dermatologist and basically demanded accutane. Sadly, I was left with 30 days before I could start. I went to my doctor who also could prescribe accutane, and he said my acne was moderate and recommended birth control. I tried getting accutane through him, but, let's just say, he wasn't too snazzy with the iPledge system. During this time, I figured out I had a staph infection (from acrylic nails I had gotten in December). I took antibiotics and not only did it clear my infection, but it also significantly helped my acne. I still wanted to get on accutane though. So, here I am.

I currently just finished with Day 10.

Day 1-2

I encountered stomach pains, mild indigestion, and back pains. I also got sick with a sore throat and a cold. The night of day 2, I encountered a very strange episode. I honestly couldn't tell if I was dreaming or if this actually occurred, but basically it was a strong cramp in my left stomach area. My mother called the dermatologist the next day and she said to get off accutane for a few days (until symptoms subsided), try it again, and if the symptoms came back, I had to stop.

Day 3-5

I did not take accutane at all, my symptoms definitely went away.

Day 4-10

I started again, with joy, without any of the previous side effects. I am currently beginning (Day 10) symptoms of dry lips. I also have very minor back pain, and a bit of tiredness. A change that I did make (in contrast to taking it before) was persistently taking Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus. Honestly, I love that stuff. It helps with the bad bacteria, and I notice a difference in my breakouts (an improvement, that is) when I take them. I highly recommend them.

My Regimen

*** Let me just start off saying that I have been using acne-oriented cleansers and I sincerely need to change to a mild cleanser! I would truly love ya'll's opinion!

-For a change, I'm currently looking at

• Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser

• Philosophy Purity Made Simple Foaming

• fresh. Soy Face Cleanser

• Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser

• Caudalíe Cleansing Water

• Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel

• DDF Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel

• Jurlique Purifying Foaming Cleanser

I don't like the way Cytaphil feels, so I'd love to hear what has worked for you guys!

After I use my current cleanser, I put all-natural, no sugars added green tea on a cotton pad and apply to my face. Then I spot treat with a benzoyl peroxide sparingly. And then I put on Alba Botanica Hawaiian Aloe & Green Tea Oil-Free Moisturizer (which I love, by the way.)

I just bought a Clarisonic Plus and use that, with the Sensitive brush. My dermatologist did okay using this on accutane.

I also drink a ton of green tea.

Take Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus.

Occasionally take Nature's Bounty Fish Oil.

Use Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment.

Aveeno Active Naturals Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream on my hands.

Okay, I haven't really planned on putting any before pictures on, haha, but I might consider it... I'm sure a picture might be nice to see the difference once I'm done. I don't know though.

Okay, so I decided to do a log. At first, logs and reading about accutane journeys in general kind of scared me, and I wanted to steer away from doing so. However, I've realized that not only can I learn a lot from the people here, but they're also a very helpful group of people :)

With that being said, let me give you some context to my acne history.

I've had mild acne since I was in 6th grade. I am currently 17 years old. ProActiv really cleared me up, but I would get an occasional under-the-skin pimple, so I decided to go to the dermatologist at around October of 2010 (16 years old). She prescribed me differin and duac. Duac made me breakout, so I switched to just differin. It got rid of under-the-skin bumps, but I never was completely comfortable with my skin. Then, in December, I started getting forehead acne, which had never EVER occurred before. Then I started getting cystic acne around the edge and jawline of my face, which also never happened before. I finally went to my dermatologist and basically demanded accutane. Sadly, I was left with 30 days before I could start. I went to my doctor who also could prescribe accutane, and he said my acne was moderate and recommended birth control. I tried getting accutane through him, but, let's just say, he wasn't too snazzy with the iPledge system. During this time, I figured out I had a staph infection (from acrylic nails I had gotten in December). I took antibiotics and not only did it clear my infection, but it also significantly helped my acne. I still wanted to get on accutane though. So, here I am.

I currently just finished with Day 10.

Day 1-2

I encountered stomach pains, mild indigestion, and back pains. I also got sick with a sore throat and a cold. The night of day 2, I encountered a very strange episode. I honestly couldn't tell if I was dreaming or if this actually occurred, but basically it was a strong cramp in my left stomach area. My mother called the dermatologist the next day and she said to get off accutane for a few days (until symptoms subsided), try it again, and if the symptoms came back, I had to stop.

Day 3-5

I did not take accutane at all, my symptoms definitely went away.

Day 4-10

I started again, with joy, without any of the previous side effects. I am currently beginning (Day 10) symptoms of dry lips. I also have very minor back pain, and a bit of tiredness. A change that I did make (in contrast to taking it before) was persistently taking Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus. Honestly, I love that stuff. It helps with the bad bacteria, and I notice a difference in my breakouts (an improvement, that is) when I take them. I highly recommend them.

My Regimen

*** Let me just start off saying that I have been using acne-oriented cleansers and I sincerely need to change to a mild cleanser! I would truly love ya'll's opinion!

-For a change, I'm currently looking at

• Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser

• Philosophy Purity Made Simple Foaming

• fresh. Soy Face Cleanser

• Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser

• Caudalíe Cleansing Water

• Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel

• DDF Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel

• Jurlique Purifying Foaming Cleanser

I don't like the way Cytaphil feels, so I'd love to hear what has worked for you guys!

After I use my current cleanser, I put all-natural, no sugars added green tea on a cotton pad and apply to my face. Then I spot treat with a benzoyl peroxide sparingly. And then I put on Alba Botanica Hawaiian Aloe & Green Tea Oil-Free Moisturizer (which I love, by the way.)

I just bought a Clarisonic Plus and use that, with the Sensitive brush. My dermatologist did okay using this on accutane.

I also drink a ton of green tea.

Take Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus.

Occasionally take Nature's Bounty Fish Oil.

Use Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment.

Aveeno Active Naturals Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream on my hands.

Okay, I haven't really planned on putting any before pictures on, haha, but I might consider it... I'm sure a picture might be nice to see the difference once I'm done. I don't know though.

Your derm said that it was okay to use your Clairsonic?? I have the pink one (i don't know if that's the plus one but it has 2 speeds, it's not the mia though) and my derm said I couldn't use it! But I bought the delicate brush heads and have been using it anyway every other day and it seems fine...it gets rid of some of the dry skin I've been having. How many mg's are you on and for how long?? Good luck!!!!

Your derm said that it was okay to use your Clairsonic?? I have the pink one (i don't know if that's the plus one but it has 2 speeds, it's not the mia though) and my derm said I couldn't use it! But I bought the delicate brush heads and have been using it anyway every other day and it seems fine...it gets rid of some of the dry skin I've been having. How many mg's are you on and for how long?? Good luck!!!!

Yes, she actually did say I could use it on accutane! I was actually a little surprised, but I've noticed I have to have it on the lowest speed otherwise it becomes kind of irritating. I think mine has a total of 3 speeds. What cleanser do you use with yours? I've been using Tea Tree Oil, but I'm noticing the astringent-factor is drying out my skin, and I need a new to find a new one.

I'm on 40 mg of Claravis once a day for 5 months. I had originally planned on taking it for only 3 months, but my derm said the extra two months would help reduce the chance of my acne coming back. How long will you be on it?

I was only supposed to take mine for 3 months too. I am also on 40 mg. But my derm said the same thing to me so I'm on it until September and there is a chance he will bump me up to 60 mg a day.

I'm using Clinique Comfort Cleanser I really love it. My skin isn't dry at all it's great! How is your skin doing now?? Mine is getting a lot better! :) Month one is almost over!

I use aveno ultra calming foam cleanser along with the moisturizer from aveno w/ jojoba oil. It's worth a shot!