Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
op0905

Exercise-Induced Acne

Hey guys-

Ok, so am I a very active person and do at least 60 min of cardio a day every day as well strength training sessions throughout the week. I have noticed that every time I increase my level of activity my acne on my face becomes worse and worse. If I stop for a few weeks, my face tends to clear up. I obviously don't want to stop working out, but I am so tired of this happening as well. I always shower immediately after working out so I don't think that is the problem. I have tried all sorts of products and none seem to work at all. I honestly don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone else seem to have this problem? If so, know of anything that works or have any suggestions? I have tried proactive, several over the counter scrubs and products for acne, but nothing. In fact proactive actually worsened my acne.

Anyways, hope to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks! :)

It could be the cardio's effect on your hormones. Intense exercise burns sugar and makes your body crave sugars. When you do low intensity workouts, your body burns fat. Burning fat (instead of breaking down sugars and craving sugars) is better for your skin. Sorry this isn't the best explanation, but I'm sure you can find similar information that is more extensive.

Have you noticed the acne only on your face or on your body in general? If it's all over I'd think it was sweat related. If it's only your face then I'm not sure!

Have you noticed the acne only on your face or on your body in general? If it's all over I'd think it was sweat related. If it's only your face then I'm not sure!

It is actually on my back somewhat as well but that has been there for quite some time. It seems like this happens mainly on my face. The cardio I do is intense high level training so I guess that is bad, but that is what works for me... My face has broke out even further today.. Idk what is going on!!!

at least 60 min of cardio a day every day as well strength training sessions throughout the week.

What time of day? What time do you go to sleep? Doing intense cardio close to bedtime should be a good way to push the circadian melatonin cycle forward, flatten it, and exacerbate acne. IMHO.

Yes I too suffer from acne problems after exercise - in fact the smallest amount of exercise like walking too far can create acne. If I do not undertake any activity which involves physical exertion then I do not suffer acne breakouts.

Last week the endocrinologist advised there was NO SOLUTION and I would have to live with it. The naturopath also had never heard of such a condition. Needless to say this was pretty depressing news.

Despite this, I have tried to solve the problem for the past 12 months and believe i may be getting very close.

Like you, I have spent many years in the gym and 12 months ago I had to stop weight training due to the cysts which followed a gym session.

In my case it appears there are 2 main contributing factors to this problem;

1. Adrenal Fatigue

Simply, excessive exercise stresses the adrenal glands and with underperforming adrenals hormone imbalances result. I have taken Adrenaltone during the past 4 months to repair the glands and I have noticed an improvement in acne and energy levels, however it is not the complete answer.

2. Hormone imbalances resulting from thyroid disorder and/or insufficient Omega-3 oils.

3 years ago I had some blood tests (because of the shocking acne I was getting) and the Thyroid profile T3 levels were at the low end of the range (Hypothyroidism). I started taking Thyroxine (T4) and this is critical to assist in eliminating acne. If I stop taking Thyroxine the acne will appear – exercise or no exercise. I would strongly suggest you have your T4 and T3 levels checked and try Thyroxine if your T3 levels are at the low end of the range.

The other critical factor for controlling acne is the level of Omega-3 oils. In just the past week I have increased the level of fish oil (now up to 6,000mg per day or 1,800mg of Omega-3). This is definitely making a difference. Whether this is the ultimate answer I don't know yet but it is looking promising. I also need to get my T3 levels re-checked as I may have to tinker with the levels of Thyroxin.

You may want to experiment with zinc supplementation if you are not already. I take about 120mg of zinc per day to control acne. This is probably a little high so I am working on reducing it.

Hope this provides some assistance.

Edited by ski175

Hey guys-

Ok, so am I a very active person and do at least 60 min of cardio a day every day as well strength training sessions throughout the week. I have noticed that every time I increase my level of activity my acne on my face becomes worse and worse. If I stop for a few weeks, my face tends to clear up. I obviously don't want to stop working out, but I am so tired of this happening as well. I always shower immediately after working out so I don't think that is the problem. I have tried all sorts of products and none seem to work at all. I honestly don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone else seem to have this problem? If so, know of anything that works or have any suggestions? I have tried proactive, several over the counter scrubs and products for acne, but nothing. In fact proactive actually worsened my acne.

Anyways, hope to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks! :)

Wondering, first off if you are a guy or girl. Workouts like that seem to hit girls harder, specially those cardio intense workouts. How many days a week do you train? I was attracted to your post because I have almost identical workout habits...I love to run distance, an hour run for me is about 7 miles. If I can, I run 5 days/week no problem. With my personality, I'd push six days/week if I could, lol. I love it, if I have the energy then 1 or 2 days a week I'll do a 15k. I lift about 3 or 4 days per week depending on if Im averaging more or less miles every week. It's the one thing I do for myself...and I just cant bring myself to stop...Even with the acne.

My problem is that my acne is horrible during the summer months and very light to totally clear during the winters. What about you is it seasonal or all year round without a break? Oh, and I moved to a Tropical zone at exactly the same time my issues began from a very cold environment where I had always been crystal clear. So, idk, thats a big change too. For the longest time I agonized and agonized over quitting the running routine because I love it soooo much!

But I just could not deal with the near constant cystic acne along my jaw line. I was really becoming antisocial not wanting to go anywhere, and showing signs of scaring these last few months. So I was totally aware that its hormonal, just based on where I was breaking out, but whats the cause? I was wondering if it was all the workouts and sweat and dirty clothes, which I run into the ground, tattered (but they are so comfy). Or if it was something else.

This has been going on for 3 years now, nearly 4. Started at 28 y/o. So I tried EVERYTHING. Diet/trigger food elimination. Antibiotics. Probiotics. Vitamins. All sorts of expensive facial treatments. BP products (proactive made me worse too). ZINO. Birthcontrol pills. This whole time Ive had this issue Ive had in the Copper Paragard. Took zinc for copper imbalance, stopped working over time. I was at my wits end and when I took it out almost 72 hours ago, everything just stopped, no more new breakouts...I feel sooooo much better now! And I don't have to stop running now!

So like I said if you are female then bc is totally relevant to the whole situation...If you are a guy I think its still hormonal, but a drug like spironolactone might do wonders for you, and lots post on here having very good luck with a high quality probiotic as well.

at least 60 min of cardio a day every day as well strength training sessions throughout the week.

What time of day? What time do you go to sleep? Doing intense cardio close to bedtime should be a good way to push the circadian melatonin cycle forward, flatten it, and exacerbate acne. IMHO.

That could be true for some people but not necessarily all.

Idk, I started off as a night runner and did it for years and years...I was always beautiful clear, and slept like a baby. But then Ive always been a night person. Then I had a baby and due to life circumstances, Im forced to work out mid to late afternoon, in the high heat of the day and right around the time I began that routine, my body flipped out and I broke out like mad. Didn't matter if I was indoors or out. Then I figured out it was all due to my iud birth control the whole entire time,,.go figure.

I am a cardio queen & my skin is terrible, but im not convinced that it is related, or at least not wholly anyway. I wouldnt want to stop training for long enough to find out! Im on spiro now but not a high enough dose to get any benefits yet :(

Guest davidtheskinking

Great question, this is actually very interesting because at first I thought all exercise was good for the skin because it moves the lymphatic system, increases blood flow and helps bring nutrients to the cells through movement etc... and detoxing the body.

This is true... BUT the type of exercise can do different things on the body, I read this book called pace that talks about how cardio exercise is actually not good for your health because it causes stress on the body, then people get "runners high" which is actually the body's natural response to the stress releasing that hormone to protect itself from pain.

In the book he talks about how if you do cardio workouts it actually causes stress on your lungs and heart, and I think this leads to a hormonal imbalance... Releasing cortisol or another stress hormone which creates yo-yo-ing hormones which can cause blood sugar/insulin spike which causes more production of oil (sebum) on skin which causes breakouts.

So it's all connected, our whole body can have an affect on our whole body.

I'd recommend checking out that book, he recommends only body weight exercises.

He recommends walking or sprinting, most cardio is stress on the heart and lungs which will cause hormones to be produced to "protect" so this is worth looking into for you.

Hope this helps you out,

David