Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Packerfan785

What "nutrients" do I need to avoid?

Besides trans fat is there anything I need to watch closely?

I eat a balanced diet and make sure to keep things like sugar in moderation, but is there anything else that is really detrimental to health.

Trans fat isn't a nutrient.

You don't need to avoid any nutrients. You need all of them. That's why they're nutrients.

You don't need to avoid any nutrients. You need all of them. That's why they're nutrients.

Notice I put "nutrients" in quotations. I don't really know what to refer to it/them as.

Maybe I should have said "anti-nutrients" but I though it would be easy enough to see what I was getting at...

Edited by Packerfan785

Consider the possibility that your are malabsorbing something you are eating.

Could be some kind of sugar rather than all types. Just a possibility.

I would avoid excess sugar in your diet. It's unrealistic to completely eliminate it, but I lowered my intake from about 200 grams daily to less than 100. Also try not to over eat. I used to feast for my meals until I was so full I couldn't eat anymore. Over eating is putting tons of pressure on your intestines, liver, and digestive enzymes, and undigested food can cause toxin-built acne. I think Milkshakes are one of the worst single food items for acne sufferers. Milk, sugar, and ice cream are all possible problems for acne.

If you drink alcohol, it's extra important for acne prone individuals to drink water periodically throughout the night. Whenever I drink, if I don't consume water throughout the night, my acne will usually get worse. If I manage to drink a few glasses of water, it's a noticeable difference.

Some people have acne reactions from Gluten, Soy, and Dairy. Not very many people do though (even if people on this forum want you to think otherwise), but possibly keep a 2 week journal of what you eat and see if you can attribute certain food groups to acne reactions.

EDIT: If by Nutrients you mean vitamins, a couple things you may want to avoid are:

Vitamin B6 (Biotin). Low amounts should be fine, but many people have reported increases in acne with large doses.

Melatonin: This nerve calming hormone can make some peoples acne worse. Anything that alters your hormones has the ability to have side effects.

Edited by Gators_Fan

The more articles I read about gluten sensitivity, the more it seems researchers are learning that it is more and more common. Aparently, Celiac Disease is only one form of a serious gluten intolerance. There is also Crones Disease and Osteoarthristis in old age and many other diseases that manifest. Plus they are throwing around numbers from 1 in 100 are gluten sensitive, to 1 in 7.

And the more I read about gluten sensitivity, the more it appears that all grains in general cause a reaction for at least 45% of Celiacs. I would not be surprised if this were tied to the reason why most people on this site clear their acne by removing all grain? I wonder...

Edited by Dotty1

Guest pokemonster

^ haai dotty! hopez ur celiac prob is beginning to solve or at least becomes more bareable? anyhowz good luckz!

nyaah i dont care bout zis thread :-

I would avoid excess sugar in your diet. It's unrealistic to completely eliminate it, but I lowered my intake from about 200 grams daily to less than 100. Also try not to over eat. I used to feast for my meals until I was so full I couldn't eat anymore. Over eating is putting tons of pressure on your intestines, liver, and digestive enzymes, and undigested food can cause toxin-built acne. I think Milkshakes are one of the worst single food items for acne sufferers. Milk, sugar, and ice cream are all possible problems for acne.

If you drink alcohol, it's extra important for acne prone individuals to drink water periodically throughout the night. Whenever I drink, if I don't consume water throughout the night, my acne will usually get worse. If I manage to drink a few glasses of water, it's a noticeable difference.

Some people have acne reactions from Gluten, Soy, and Dairy. Not very many people do though (even if people on this forum want you to think otherwise), but possibly keep a 2 week journal of what you eat and see if you can attribute certain food groups to acne reactions.

EDIT: If by Nutrients you mean vitamins, a couple things you may want to avoid are:

Vitamin B6 (Biotin). Low amounts should be fine, but many people have reported increases in acne with large doses.

Melatonin: This nerve calming hormone can make some peoples acne worse. Anything that alters your hormones has the ability to have side effects.

What if I eat bread/gluten occasionally? How detrimental would that be if i was gluten sensitive?

I try to go with potato, sweet potato, rice, etc instead, and limit my carbohydrates overall, but its impossible and impractical for me to cut out all gluten.

(oops, meant to quote Dotty, oh well)

Edited by Packerfan785

Notice I put "nutrients" in quotations. I don't really know what to refer to it/them as.

Maybe I should have said "anti-nutrients" but I though it would be easy enough to see what I was getting at...

Nutrients are things EVERYONE needs in order for our body to function properly. Proteins/Fats/Carbohydrates/Minerals/Vitamins are nutrients. Everything after that is fluff. There's also Antioxidants, which in many cases are anti-nutrients but the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives so it wouldn't be wise to avoid them. I'm still not quite sure of what you're asking though.

Are you asking what you should and shouldn't be eating to clear your skin? If so, just see my sig for a basic summary.

Nutrients are things EVERYONE needs in order for our body to function properly. Proteins/Fats/Carbohydrates/Minerals/Vitamins are nutrients. Everything after that is fluff. There's also Antioxidants, which in many cases are anti-nutrients but the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives so it wouldn't be wise to avoid them. I'm still not quite sure of what you're asking though.

Are you asking what you should and shouldn't be eating to clear your skin? If so, just see my sig for a basic summary.

Yeah you obviously don't understand what I'm getting at, and I don't need a lesson on basic nutrition.

Let's just end this discussion.

Yeah you obviously don't understand what I'm getting at, and I don't need a lesson on basic nutrition.

Let's just end this discussion.

No, I don't understand what you're getting at because you did such a piss poor job of explaining it. With all due respect, you do need a lesson in basic nutrition if you think nutrients are something you should avoid. That's why I explained what a nutrient is. :doh:

In your signature, Chunkylard, you are saying to avoid all gluten, even the gluten in rice, correct?

He isn't new here and knows about avoiding high glycemic meals, gluten and eating vegetables and such.

He's in the category of Alicecooper where that hasn't ever been enough.

I love the way how people can get so lippy on the internet when they probably wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life. It's one of the reasons i don't like message boards like these and see it simply as a means to an end.

I presume the only reason people use these boards if they already have clear skin and they have solved their own "personal" acne puzzle, is that they want to try and help other people.

I think everyone knows what the op means.

Nutrition isn't as simple as a lot of people like to make out. What is perfectly healthy for many will be detrimental for others.

I personally think that acne maybe be something to with some kind of malabsorbtion of certain food types. That may or may not set of a chain of events which leads to acne. In my case i think certain carbs are being malabsorbed, it may be just because i have over eaten for years and that carbs are the easiest to overeat, if i knew i wouldn't be writing this [i used to destroy people at eat all you can eats].

Carbohydrates are nutrients, ask the majority of medical professionals and they will tell you it is vital to have a certain amount of your diet compossed of carbohydrates.

Spinach is generally considered a wonder food, it is usually on all the lists of the top foods, i have eaten it my whole life thinking it's "healthy" and yet recently i find out there is a connection between it and kidney problems, maybe teeth problems, through the oxalates it contains. Maybe it is only through eating it in large amounts but you get my point.

How have you been doing packerfan? Are you able to avoid processed foods at school?

I've been pretty good acne wise.

I have loosened up on my diet, I think if I monitor it too much the stress it causes just cancels everything out.

I have my own apartment near campus this year and have learned to cook, so that is really helping too.

No one can answer this question for you, besides the obvious basics. Outside of that, I guess there are always fringe components, like maybe lectins, but that is all individual, and needs to be discovered on your own.

Even with the "biggies" there are always exceptions. People always say avoid trans fats, even to the point that it has become conventional wisdom, but CLA is a trans fat, and a potentially amazing nutrient with many health benefits. Although I doubt anyone would actively avoid CLA just because it is technically a trans fat, it highlights the point that there really are not many (any?) absolutes, just trial and error and finding what works best for you through a variety of assessments.

Even with the "biggies" there are always exceptions. People always say avoid trans fats, even to the point that it has become conventional wisdom, but CLA is a trans fat, and a potentially amazing nutrient with many health benefits.

So, avoid trans fats created by deep frying or in a food factory as in margarine and crisco.