Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vanbelle

Omega ratio in hemp protein

I went to whole foods today and looked at the EPA/DHA nutrition label, and I think I actually might be reading these labels completely wrong. I've heard hemp has an amazing EFA ratio, but I was confused. EPA and DHA are omega 3's...right? And does it matter the EPA to DHA ratio? And I thought you were supposed to have more omega 3's that omega 6's, so why does everything recommend a 4:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3? A little confused. If anyone could redirect to some good links, or has better insight, that would be awesome.

If chunkylard could take a stab at answering this? :nod:

1:4 ratio (3:6) is pretty much the max ratio you should shoot for. 1:2 is more ideal, but it's not like you're going to keel over and die if your ratio is 1:4. Yes, EPA/DHA are Omega-3s. There are more than just EPA/DHA/ALA (there's a bunch, but most of them aren't nearly as important or they're simply converted into ALA/EPA/DHA in the body so they don't get mentioned much.)

Honestly don't overthink it too much, just get enough green veggies and fish and avoid eating too many nuts/starchy foods and your ratio will be perfect. If you're eating enough of either of those 2, you have no reason to worry about your ratio. Not everyone likes the taste of fish so you can add in some flaxseed along with green veggies if you're trying to balance the ratio out.

Here's an abstract of a study done on the Omega-3:6 ratio:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

Here's some general info about Omega-3s:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html

The ratio only starts to become a problem once your 3:6s ratio hovers around 1:10 and onwards. That's when the inflammation, digestive issues, and other problems start.

1:4 ratio (3:6) is pretty much the max ratio you should shoot for. 1:2 is more ideal, but it's not like you're going to keel over and die if your ratio is 1:4. Yes, EPA/DHA are Omega-3s. There are more than just EPA/DHA/ALA (there's a bunch, but most of them aren't nearly as important or they're simply converted into ALA/EPA/DHA in the body so they don't get mentioned much.)

Honestly don't overthink it too much, just get enough green veggies and fish and avoid eating too many nuts/starchy foods and your ratio will be perfect. If you're eating enough of either of those 2, you have no reason to worry about your ratio. Not everyone likes the taste of fish so you can add in some flaxseed along with green veggies if you're trying to balance the ratio out.

Here's an abstract of a study done on the Omega-3:6 ratio:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

Here's some general info about Omega-3s:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html

The ratio only starts to become a problem once your 3:6s ratio hovers around 1:10 and onwards. That's when the inflammation, digestive issues, and other problems start.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I was considering hemp protein powder as an alternative to whey (post-workout shake without dairy/soy/rice/gluten I am looking for). If I'm taking fish oil (about 5 grams a day) and getting, let's say, 2 handfuls of dark greens a day, hemp protein won't be a big deal you think?

Yeah, no you do not need more omega 3 than omega 6. It's the other way around, but most people get way too much omega 6 via grains, grain oils and products from grain fed animals combined with a lack of omega 3 due to not eating enough veggies, fish, and products from pastured animals. Just do the opposite of that.

Yeah, no you do not need more omega 3 than omega 6. It's the other way around, but most people get way too much omega 6 via grains, grain oils and products from grain fed animals combined with a lack of omega 3 due to not eating enough veggies, fish, and products from pastured animals. Just do the opposite of that.

Hey thanks! Omega 6 is an EFA, so you do need it but we just get too much. Question: can you get any side effects from having too much omega 3? Or is it not possible to get an improper balance, because if you eat good meat (grass-fed etc), it will have that proper ratio...can this same concept be applied to fish oil? I consume SO much fish oil every day (following this paleo diet book guidelines as it suggests for those with inflammation), but does fish oil have the proper ratio?

I hate to ask these questions, I feel like I should know them already! :think: