Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gulia

Acne comes days after eating junk?

Hello.

So first a little behind story.. I always had moderate acne, went on accutane and is now nearly clear (except for a few zits a month).. I was started getting some small acne and stuff a month ago, and got Finacea, and i made a big diet change..

But i have problems keeping my diet in the weekends, because i go out and enjoy my life there.. So basically since friday i have been eating this;

2x McDonalds

1x Nachos

1x Durum kebab

Getting drunk twice

Some candy..

while this should be bad for you, this day, sunday morning, im walking up with nothing but a clear face? It was the same last weekend, where i ate and drank a lot of bad stuff again.. sunday morning.. clear..

But, its like.. monday and tuesday (where i eat really good diet, no diary, junk or sugar).. i get a few again.. Can this be from the weekend before? Or.. does diet simply not really affect me this much?

I will say, even though i eat a lot of crap in the weekend, i DO get my daily green smoothie, eat vegs and drink lot of water + take Zinc and fish oil supplements...

What do you think? Does diet really have something to do with me? or can i eat small amount of junk because i eat so healthy all the others day?

If so I'm happy.. the perfect balance.

I used to cheat very heavily throughout the weekends, in all aspects of health. Unfortunately, even 1 day of cheating would set me back to square one, and so the cycle of bad skin would begin once again. And yes, my face took a few days before it broke out, say on the Monday or Tuesday, despite seriously healthy eating, exercise and sleep. The only solution for me was to quit cheating. I'm now on my way to seriously clear skin after about 8 years of acne/hyperpigmentation.

For me, clear skin outweighs any weekend actvity. I haven't felt so positive in a long time. I'm sure the occasional treat wouldn't hurt, but I'd rather not take that chance

Edited by neverforget

Cheating won't bring you back to square one. Unless you're only on square two. It's still a step back though and something you should avoid. If you're gonna drink I recommend chugging water and keeping it by wherever you sleep at the end of the night (it helps a ton).

Junk like that may take a while to digest though, it'll come at some point if not the next day then the coming days after. The best way to deal with that is take it easier on your body during those days.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear that neverforget. In my opinion, i cant, or wont, let my skin control my social life, so if i dont break out that much i guess I'm very lucky.

And yea Phresh, i think i drink pretty "healthy" (i know it sounds stupid). I only drink clear 40% vodka, with 100% pure orange juice. And then i drink a lot of water too, this has helped me a lot, instead of drinking beer/cider/vodka with cola and stuff, before i could easy drink a 1.5L cola while drinking vodka.. that much sugar cant be healthy.

And thanks Phresh, thats what i though abouth the junk food, i will try relaxing a bit more the days after :)

cheers

Doing a better job than me when I drink. It's been a while but when I do I go all out with energy drinks mixed with vodka and then tons of beer after.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Cheating won't bring you back to square one. Unless you're only on square two. It's still a step back though and something you should avoid.

You're right. But perhaps I'm intolerant to even trace amounts in food, as my breakouts are always very bad, even if my cheat snack is something very small and whose ingredients are generally of no real concern to most. It felt like going back to square one because my hyperpigmentation is amazingly stubborn, I guess.

Thankfully it doesn't seem like too many people suffer from this, and can get away with small cheat snacks

I think that the best approach is to first of all stop thinking that your diet is breaking you out unless you see a very clear connection between one specific item and your break outs. I realized that I was just stressing myself out with doing that. So the best thing for me was to stop thinking "will this break me out?" because I noticed that I'd sometimes break out after eating very good foods, not break out after eating 4 pints of ice cream, or vice versa. So for most I'd say it's a totally random occurrence, and that diet will have the most pronounced effect on those with actual intolerances.

Go a few months WITHOUT freaking out over your diet, don't start in the mirror too much (because that WILL make things worse), and make sure your skincare approach doesn't break you out. Then in a few months, take a long look at yourself and see whether your skin has improved or not. If not, then consider altering your diet.

Btw, I ate a few bowls of chips last night and some chocolate, and I don't have any more breakouts than I did a few days ago, and one of them is actually significantly smaller. My breakouts are mostly from how I treat my skin externally, mostly when I freak out over its appearance, pick, and use products. So maybe the diet link is more so psychological than actual diet issues, such as the Nocebo Effect causing you to break out whenever you eat "bad" foods (or Placebo Effect causing you to clear up when you DON'T eat those foods).

Wow, thanks a lot for that answer, really put some things into perspective.

I really can't tell if it is the diet or not. Because, a month ago i changed my diet and skin care routine, went from using some dermalogica cream and cleanser, to going only jojoba oil, Finacea and sometimes some BHA 2% from paula's choice, cleaning my face with a sugar thing i got from a semi-famous derm. in Denmark, only natural product..

I think i will start not caring about diet that much, just too see. But i actually enjoy drinking green smoothies, drinking lots of water and cutting diary products, so i will of cause still eat that, because its good for my overall health too.

I can relate to the psychological aspect of this. I'm pretty good at not touching my face, and not picking, but I'm very good at bringing myself down over some pimples.. I havent really been deppressed the last weeks either, so it might have help'd not to care/think about it..

So i thank you very much for that eye opening post, i wish you all the best in the future (goes to all on this forum :) )

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Cheating won't bring you back to square one. Unless you're only on square two. It's still a step back though and something you should avoid.

You're right. But perhaps I'm intolerant to even trace amounts in food, as my breakouts are always very bad, even if my cheat snack is something very small and whose ingredients are generally of no real concern to most. It felt like going back to square one because my hyperpigmentation is amazingly stubborn, I guess.

Thankfully it doesn't seem like too many people suffer from this, and can get away with small cheat snacks

An intolerance to food presents only minor symptoms. Meaning that having a severe breakout likely is NOT caused by a simple intolerance. That's one of the reasons intolerances are hard to pin point, because they don't usually show noticeable symptoms that can be directly traced to the food. Could take days or a week to show a symptom of intolerance to the food!

You might want to consider testing for allergies and intolerances to be sure that what you are eating isn't a full blown allergy. But if even a minor "cheat" brings forth that type of horrible reaction, I'd have to think that it's more so psychological than physiological reactions taking place.

I see, thanks! I've been considering getting tested for quite a while now, but my acne has actually ceased at present, so I might just continue doing what I'm doing. I'm eating the same thing everyday, and it get quite stale at times. Perhaps I'll try adding bits here and there and attempt to pinpoint what I can and can't handle.

Nonetheless, I'm well on my way to a full recovery and I haven't been this happy in a long time

I think that the best approach is to first of all stop thinking that your diet is breaking you out unless you see a very clear connection between one specific item and your break outs. I realized that I was just stressing myself out...

Better yet, how about just not stressing out over every little thing, and trying to comprehend the many ways diet affects your acne and improve your diet. Because your diet and your habits are breaking you out just like they will cause/worsen all the other degenerative diseases you will develop if you keep following the typical Standard American Diet aka SAD. But rather than reacting with panic, get informed and begin eating right.

Only some food intolerances/allergies can cause a pimple to form that quickly. Otherwise, it's the day in day out inflammatory blood sugar spiking hormone screwing habits that cause cells to not exfoliate properly, clog a pore far below the surface and erupt on your face a few weeks later.

On the other hand, the inflammatory response to a food intolerance can also affect/worsen acne without directly causing a pimple to form the next day. It also plays a role in the slow formation of acne.

Edited by alternativista