Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm 29, and never really suffered from acne until well into my 20's, but it feels like it is a losing battle.

i have naturally oily skin, and get the deep cysts around my jawline and cheekbones, as well as a t-zone full of blackheads. i have tried practically EVERYTHING; retinoid creams, OTC treatments, proactiv, switching cleansers/detergent/makeup/no makeup.. i consume a low-GI, gluten-free, vegan diet that is void of any enjoyment whatsoever, and what it lacks in enjoyment i make up with a ton of turmeric, ACV, and expensive vitamins that i can't really afford to not have work.

that being said, my acne is not terrible. i've never had the larger clusters that i've seen here on the forums and although i do suffer from hyperpigmentation, i have been blessed with skin that bounces back from these nasty zits.. until i went to see this new dermatologist in 2009..

his bedside manner wasn't anything to be marveled by (he manhandled my face, smeared my makeup off and kicked me out of his office with a list of tersaseptic and complex-15 moisturizer), and told me to go see an endocrinologist. the endo prescribed me dianette, which caused me break out in cysts all over my body (i never get acne anywhere aside from my face/neck), and i gained about 40lbs throughout the course of the 3-month trial. i had plastic surgery last summer after going off all medication, to correct the damage to my skin and breasts, and believe me, i will never take birth control pills again. :(

i also suspect that i have cushing's syndrome, due to a plethora of other issues, but regardless, it is hormonal acne that is not being controlled by hormonal acne regimens or diet changes.

the tersaseptic has given me permanent eczema and subsequently, darker brown patches on my face where the "hot zones" flare up (cheeks to chin on both sides). so, now i am battling two evils, and each regimen seems to exacerbate the other.

all of this has taken an extreme toll on my self-esteem and general ability to leave the house on the days when either the eczema or acne (or both) are active. i hardly ever wear makeup anymore, except maybe a color corrector on my cheeks during the days when my face isn't flaking off (which is rare).

does anyone battle both eczema and cystic acne, and how do you cope with flareups/breakouts? recommended products?

thanks for reading!

Edited by shiranami

i'm 29, and never really suffered from acne until well into my 20's, but it feels like it is a losing battle.

i have naturally oily skin, and get the deep cysts around my jawline and cheekbones, as well as a t-zone full of blackheads. i have tried practically EVERYTHING; retinoid creams, OTC treatments, proactiv, switching cleansers/detergent/makeup/no makeup.. i consume a low-GI, gluten-free, vegan diet that is void of any enjoyment whatsoever, and what it lacks in enjoyment i make up with a ton of turmeric, ACV, and expensive vitamins that i can't really afford to not have work.

that being said, my acne is not terrible. i've never had the larger clusters that i've seen here on the forums and although i do suffer from hyperpigmentation, i have been blessed with skin that bounces back from these nasty zits.. until i went to see this new dermatologist in 2009..

his bedside manner wasn't anything to be marveled by (he manhandled my face, smeared my makeup off and kicked me out of his office with a list of tersaseptic and complex-15 moisturizer), and told me to go see an endocrinologist. the endo prescribed me dianette, which caused me break out in cysts all over my body (i never get acne anywhere aside from my face/neck), and i gained about 40lbs throughout the course of the 3-month trial. i had plastic surgery last summer after going off all medication, to correct the damage to my skin and breasts, and believe me, i will never take birth control pills again. :(

i also suspect that i have cushing's syndrome, due to a plethora of other issues, but regardless, it is hormonal acne that is not being controlled by hormonal acne regimens or diet changes.

the tersaseptic has given me permanent eczema and subsequently, darker brown patches on my face where the "hot zones" flare up (cheeks to chin on both sides). so, now i am battling two evils, and each regimen seems to exacerbate the other.

all of this has taken an extreme toll on my self-esteem and general ability to leave the house on the days when either the eczema or acne (or both) are active. i hardly ever wear makeup anymore, except maybe a color corrector on my cheeks during the days when my face isn't flaking off (which is rare).

does anyone battle both eczema and cystic acne, and how do you cope with flareups/breakouts? recommended products?

thanks for reading!

I can only say this, i never had eczema so i cant reccomend anything, but as far as oily skin, only accutate helped me.

i too had overactive pores/oily skin, which in my opinion, led to my rosacea which is probably a "cousin" to eczema so to speak..

cure the oil and you'll cure the acne basically, and the only solution i found was accutane which cute the oil production off severely.

in any event, hopefully someone can help you with the eczema answer, wash often to get rid of the oil i guess, which is what i did pre-accutane, i washed my face religiously.

You seem to be a fairly well informed person. I really think you need to go to a large teaching/research hospital or major medical center for help.

I am surprised that you originally were not prescribe accutane.

Joe Zit

After everything you've tried, did Accutane ever cross your mind? I'm just wondering. I would think it would be about time to look into it.

Also, don't use turmeric on your face. It stains your face orange for 3 days and it is aggravating to get rid of the orange streaks on your face.

After everything you've tried, did Accutane ever cross your mind? I'm just wondering. I would think it would be about time to look into it.

Also, don't use turmeric on your face. It stains your face orange for 3 days and it is aggravating to get rid of the orange streaks on your face.

its stains depedning on the amount of time u leave it on and depedning if you don't use anything to get rid of it