Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane..about time (Pics)

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/09/2011 10:48 am

I should be getting my prescription this coming Monday, so I decided to set up the log and show some pre-accutane pictures. I'm 21 and have had this same acne for many years. Just like most accutane users, I have tried countless regimens: proactiv, acne free, benzomycin, retin-a, sulfacetamide, bactrim, and im sure theres more that i missed. Along with my derm., I think it is time to go with accutane!! I'm excited, but nervous at the same time due to the negative "stigma" accutane gets. My derm. told me that the studies have not linked it to IBS, Chrons, or many of the other diseases people associate accutane with. Also, he has never had a patient have a serious side effect. My main fear is that I may lose muscle strength and decline in my school work. I am a junior Nursing student with 2 semesters away from my BSN degree. I also like to lift weights as a way to relieve everyday stress. I hope not to alter my lifestyle due to the drug's side effects.

The plan is to start me at 40mg and to take it a month at a time.

Would appreciate some feedback from you guys and perhaps some words of encouragement!!

Thanks!

post-147619-1302363992_thumb.jpg

post-147619-1302364004_thumb.jpg

post-147619-1302364244_thumb.jpg

post-147619-1302363992_thumb.jpg

post-147619-1302364004_thumb.jpg

post-147619-1302364244_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/20/2011 6:39 pm

About 3 weeks after my derm said i was going on accutane, all loops have been jumped thru. I started 40mg of claravis today. I'm nervous about the whole thing, but at the same I'm excited to possibly have clear skin in a few months! Anyway i'll start my log now!

DAY 1

Took my first dose of claravis 40mg today basically right after i walked out of the pharmacy! haha

After doing a lot of research and reading other logs, I'm almost "expecting" to have sore joints, blurred vision, etc. It is a weird feeling and i bet others can relate to it too after doing their research. Anyway, it's only been about 3 hours since my first dose and I'm not experiencing any troubles (no nausea or anything GI related).

Couple questions if you guys would be so kind...

When did you notice a reduction in oil production on your face?

When do most of you take the pill? Day or Night? With food? How much water?

Any other suggestions to tackle the oncoming side effects?

Thanks so much!

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 04/20/2011 6:56 pm

About 3 weeks after my derm said i was going on accutane, all loops have been jumped thru. I started 40mg of claravis today. I'm nervous about the whole thing, but at the same I'm excited to possibly have clear skin in a few months! Anyway i'll start my log now!

DAY 1

Took my first dose of claravis 40mg today basically right after i walked out of the pharmacy! haha

After doing a lot of research and reading other logs, I'm almost "expecting" to have sore joints, blurred vision, etc. It is a weird feeling and i bet others can relate to it too after doing their research. Anyway, it's only been about 3 hours since my first dose and I'm not experiencing any troubles (no nausea or anything GI related).

<4 weeks (see graph below), but this doesn't necessarily mean that your acne will clear in that time. Accutane usually takes months to clear acne. Similarly, your oil may return post-Accutane but this doesn't necessarily mean that your acne will too.

Take Accutane with food (preferably fatty) to maximise absorption because Accutane is fat soluble. Take it with a full glass of water too.

Drink 3-4 L of water per day; moisturise thrice daily; avoid the sun; don't drink alcohol; don't get pregnant; have lip balm ready; and don't bite your finger nails or you may get a fucking annoying finger nail infection like I did.

Thanks so much!

post-145613-1303343801_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 04/20/2011 7:06 pm

I should be getting my prescription this coming Monday, so I decided to set up the log and show some pre-accutane pictures. I'm 21 and have had this same acne for many years. Just like most accutane users, I have tried countless regimens: proactiv, acne free, benzomycin, retin-a, sulfacetamide, bactrim, and im sure theres more that i missed. Along with my derm., I think it is time to go with accutane!! I'm excited, but nervous at the same time due to the negative "stigma" accutane gets. My derm. told me that the studies have not linked it to IBS, Chrons, or many of the other diseases people associate accutane with. Also, he has never had a patient have a serious side effect. My main fear is that I may lose muscle strength and decline in my school work. I am a junior Nursing student with 2 semesters away from my BSN degree. I also like to lift weights as a way to relieve everyday stress. I hope not to alter my lifestyle due to the drug's side effects.

The plan is to start me at 40mg and to take it a month at a time.

Would appreciate some feedback from you guys and perhaps some words of encouragement!!

Thanks!

Just wanted to highlight that for the newbies out there.

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 04/20/2011 7:14 pm

😉 Good luck man. I start in a month 😉

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 04/20/2011 7:18 pm

My derm also said they just had another study for another generic they are creating for accutane... the end result he says "it works."

He also said 6 out 7 of his have been on accutane. I think people let their imaginations get away with them when it comes to accutane. The placebo effect is seriously effective. I think in my psych class they said it was a 30% -50%. Our minds are seriously powerful.

Stay strong and positive. Ideally, don't read any negative stories while on your course. It will just psych you out.

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/20/2011 7:31 pm

DAY 1

<4 weeks (see graph below), but this doesn't necessarily mean that your acne will clear in that time. Accutane usually takes months to clear acne.

Take Accutane with food (preferably fatty) to maximise absorption because Accutane is fat soluble. Take it with a full glass of water too.

Drink 3-4 L of water per day; moisturise thrice daily; avoid the sun; don't drink alcohol; don't get pregnant; have lip balm ready; and don't bite your finger nails as you may get a fucking annoying finger nail infection like I did.

Thanks so much!

post-145613-1303343801_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips!

😉 Good luck man. I start in a month 😉

Thanks!! too bad you aren't starting sooner! I'd love to have someone going thru this process concurrently with me!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/23/2011 1:41 pm

DAY 4

Well, today is day 4 of my 40mg course of accutane, so far nothing really to report, Except since starting I havent got any new active acne. It may just be a coincidence since its so early in the treatment. However, I an expecting this to be the "calm before the storm" with the storm being the IB.

I took Bactrim for about 2 months until taking my first pill of claravis last week, so maybe i wont experience such a bad IB??? anyone take bactrim up until taking their first accutane dose??

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@kodec)

Posted : 04/23/2011 3:42 pm

Hey mdn, I started my accutane on April 20th so I believe we are taking ours relatively concurrent. I'm prescribed with Amnesteen at 80mg a day so i think i'll be hitting side effects a little quicker than you will. I've been going to a dermotologist for the past 2 1/2 years or so and have been given bactrim among other oral meds such as amoxycylin and doxycyclin. I was on Doxy right up until my first dose of accutane.

At day 4 in my treatment all i've really noticed is that my face feels slightly sunburned all over, and it is actually pretty irritating. My lips aren't particularly chapped yet either which is good. Also i'm not sure if this has to do with the medication but I have infact noticed that I am significantly more tired than i usually am, and also my eyes are drying out pretty fast which makes wearing contacts quite annoying.

I've been reading around and i've noticed that i'm taking quite a bit more mg on a daily dose standpoint than many other people on this board which makes me worry a little. I'm 19/ male.

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/23/2011 5:01 pm

Hey mdn, I started my accutane on April 20th so I believe we are taking ours relatively concurrent. I'm prescribed with Amnesteen at 80mg a day so i think i'll be hitting side effects a little quicker than you will. I've been going to a dermotologist for the past 2 1/2 years or so and have been given bactrim among other oral meds such as amoxycylin and doxycyclin. I was on Doxy right up until my first dose of accutane.

At day 4 in my treatment all i've really noticed is that my face feels slightly sunburned all over, and it is actually pretty irritating. My lips aren't particularly chapped yet either which is good. Also i'm not sure if this has to do with the medication but I have infact noticed that I am significantly more tired than i usually am, and also my eyes are drying out pretty fast which makes wearing contacts quite annoying.

I've been reading around and i've noticed that i'm taking quite a bit more mg on a daily dose standpoint than many other people on this board which makes me worry a little. I'm 19/ male.

Yeah, I'd say that is pretty high. Not too many people start on 80mg. However, you will complete your course quicker if you don't have to drop the dosage.

I am glad someone started the same time as me. Although you are starting at 80mg, I think it will be good to keep each other updated to see the side effects we both endure. My left eye has a weird pain in it, which may be dryness, im not sure....If the side effects come too quick, too heavy, ask your derm to lower you to 40-60mg unless your acne is very severe of course.

Keep in touch

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/23/2011 5:03 pm

And about the antibiotics up until the first dose of accutane, I hope this knocks out the harsh IB possibility. As opposed to most people on this board, my derm. told me that having an IB isn't very common. I think i'd go with other's experiences....who knows...

MemberMember
(@raggedyanne)

Posted : 04/25/2011 9:24 am

Hey thanks for getting in touch on my thread (log, post? what do you call it??)

Anyway, it's great to know we're starting about the same time and we can commiserate about the side-effects to come.

Good luck with the course and keep us posted!

-Anna

MemberMember
(@kodec)

Posted : 04/25/2011 9:59 am

Hey guys, Day 6 here, couple little concerns/ questions for the rest of you that started around the same time as me:

At this point my lips really aren't any different at all, just as moist as they always have been. My nose however has gotten very dry. Another thing is there is a change to the skin on my face I'm not too sure how to describe it. The best I can think of relating it is to having a mild sunburn all over. It's hot to the touch and noticeably more red and genuinely looking like a sunburn and the skin feels tighter. Additionally my face feels dry all the time but doesn't look dry nor does it feel dry when I touch it.

Slightly odd, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

19 Male, on 80mg/day

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 04/25/2011 2:45 pm

By the way. Just looked at your pic again. GORGEOUS EYES. Are they hazel? or green?

I think getting a red face is a common side effect. I'm sure I will have the same since I'm so fair skinned.

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/25/2011 5:55 pm

Hey guys, Day 6 here, couple little concerns/ questions for the rest of you that started around the same time as me:

At this point my lips really aren't any different at all, just as moist as they always have been. My nose however has gotten very dry. Another thing is there is a change to the skin on my face I'm not too sure how to describe it. The best I can think of relating it is to having a mild sunburn all over. It's hot to the touch and noticeably more red and genuinely looking like a sunburn and the skin feels tighter. Additionally my face feels dry all the time but doesn't look dry nor does it feel dry when I touch it.

Slightly odd, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

19 Male, on 80mg/day

I can't relate to any of those side effects yet being on only 40mg/day. I almost wish i was on a higher dose to get them out of the way, because i know they are inevitable in the end. But from reading other logs, reddening of the face is common. Try using aquaphor at night...?

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/25/2011 6:01 pm

By the way. Just looked at your pic again. GORGEOUS EYES. Are they hazel? or green?

I think getting a red face is a common side effect. I'm sure I will have the same since I'm so fair skinned.

hahah thanks, they are green with like a brown ring around the pupil.. weird, right? lol glad you like em tho!

When are you starting your course? how many days?!

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 04/25/2011 7:11 pm

Yeah mine are like that too. I have a green ring, then yellow and a little brown 😉 they change colors with my mooods.

Sad=Brown

Green= happy

Yellow=Horny

haha 😉

I'm suppose to start in 3 weeks I believe.

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/25/2011 8:11 pm

haha! that's great, your eyes are like mood rings!! you should def post a picture of 'em

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 04/25/2011 8:18 pm

😉

there is one in my gallery taht i just put up you can kinda tell its yellow

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/27/2011 10:03 am

1 Week Done!

after one week of claravis 40mg, I have notice not many changes. I did notice a big reduction in the amount of active acne i have been getting. This is odd to me, because i was anticipating an IB, the complete opposite. Side effects: I haven't noticed much yet, skin still seems oily and lips are not dry yet. Ever since taking the accutane, I have had an odd pain in my Left eye. It almost feels like it is scratched or something. Could be nothing related to accutane, but figured I'd report it. I have been continuing lifting weights and exercising. No weakness or additional soreness that wouldn't be common from the activities, tho. I'm going to post my weekly pics. Let me know if you guys notice any differences or anyone about a week in on their course! thanks!

Pics:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/28/2011 5:28 pm

Day 8

well, just after I said i had a big reduction in my active acne, a bunch of new ones appeared. ughhh

Definitely, a huge breakout since my last post yesterday. Hopefully the start of a not so severe IB????

Anyone have their IB after a week on 40mg?

MemberMember
(@kodec)

Posted : 04/28/2011 9:18 pm

Day 8

well, just after I said i had a big reduction in my active acne, a bunch of new ones appeared. ughhh

Definitely, a huge breakout since my last post yesterday. Hopefully the start of a not so severe IB????

Anyone have their IB after a week on 40mg?

I've been meaning to post on here man, just been busy with finals and what not :\

Day 8 as well on 80mg/day and let me break it down for you:

My acne in general would be classified as somewhere between mild to moderate with the occasional small cyst, but has been consistent for the last 6 years or so which is why I eventually came to the decision of accutane. I saw my IB around day 3 and it began with at least 4-6 new whiteheads a day. It's day 8 now and my lips are just now starting to get chapped and i still see a new couple of zits daily. They all have been around my nose area as well as my chin and have only recently started to come up around my jawline.

That being said, it's quite disconcerting right now to say the least. I hope that as my body adjusts in the coming weeks it gets a little more bearable, but I'll be sure to let you know. Haha like I said, with me being on double you're dose, I am likely to be hitting these effects before you!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/30/2011 5:10 pm

Day 11

The breakout i just had seemed to go away just as quick as it came.... skin looks a little better. However, I do feel like my skin is getting more sensitive. I was outside for about an hour watching baseball, and my face seems really irritated. I was using using Aveeno's ultra Calming foaming cleanser, but i think im going to stick with water and maybe the cleanser every other day or so.

On a positive note, I am still continuing to be active with no problems such as joint or back pain.

My semester here at college is almost over, but with the summer coming up and not being able to be outside much im a little less excited....oh well, I'll be happy to be home anyhow!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 04/30/2011 8:12 pm

Oh, and something I forgot to report.... MY SCALP is very itchy!!! I hope this is not a precursor to hair loss?...anyone's opinion?!?!?

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/01/2011 2:31 pm

Hey you!

Aren't u quite the stud!

U r going to be amazing after accutane!

I def need to get the guts to post some pics, but I think ill wait til day one.

Oh, and I have heard that anti dandruff shampoos r best, and if u start getting really dry scalp/hair to only wash 2-3 times a week. U could even condition on the off days.

Keep us posted!

Oh, and here is a little Chuck for you