Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarred4life

Punch Floats - how painful are they?

this procedure confuses me a bit, what types of scars is this most effective for? chicken pox like scars...could this help a chicken pox scar too, is it mainly for scars in which the sin appears normal but is indented (i.e. a chicen pox scar)? also, does the punch float involve further scarring, what's recovery like? i've looked up some info but still a little unclear...

THANX!

Here is the information that LOVE (Kiki) sent me regarding punch floats:

Here is how the procedure goes; your face will be cleansed with Betadine and Dr.Y will swab your face with alcohol. You will then receive an anesthetic injection(s) near the areas to be treated. He then proceeds to remove each icepick scar with a very small instrument resembling a slender writing pen. He places the instrument firmly against the icepick and ever so gently turns it in a clockwise motion (as if he were using a screwdriver) for about 15 to 30 seconds.

After the clockwise motion, when he reaches the healthy underlying tissue, he uses the instrument to "pull" (the underlying tissue) level with the rest of your skin. Hence, "filling" in the icepick with the new tissue that was beneath/deep inside the scar and eradicating the indentation.

Each float takes him approximately 1 minute to do. Cassandra follows-up by applying mild pressure to the float to stop any bleeding, which is extremely minimal. She then covers the treated area with a skin toned, 1cm piece of surgical tape which holds the new tissue at the center of the icepick scar in place until it completely heals and adheres to the healthy skin surrounding it.

This process is repeated until all icepicks are treated. You leave the office with tape covering each float and treat your skin as normal. Meaning, you wash your face as usual, take showers as per norm, etc. The tape will not come off. It is adhered like a second-skin and acts as a barrier to bacteria.

By about the 3rd day, you can feel with your fingertips (as you wash your face) that the tape is beginning to thin/disentigrate, and in my case, the tape simply rinsed away as I washed my face on the morning of the 5th day. You do not want to urge the tape off by pulling or peeling at it in any fashion, but allow it to follow its course.

I used Cetaphil antibacterial soap during the period of time that the tape was on, and the few days following. No ointment or any other topicals are needed. The area simply heals. I did not use anything on my face prior to the floats; only my normal regimen of Cetaphil cleanser and Neutrogena lotion.

The tape has some transparency, so you will be able to see a small scab beneath the tape where the icepick once was on the day of the treatment. By the 7th day, it was extremely difficult to even tell where the punch floats had been. By the time I had my dermabrasion 2 weeks later, I could not tell at all where the floats had been unless I looked intently into a magnified mirror, except for 1, which had been quite deep. Yet, even that one only looked like a freckle and would have surely faded over time.

I was able to wear makeup the day the tape rinsed away, which was day 5. I was told there were no risks associated with the procedure other than to not take aspirin 2 weeks prior, because as you know, it would increase my bleeding.