Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
totoro

Am I wasting my money getting facials?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, though I have been viewing the boards for a while. First, a bit of background information. I am 28, and have had acne since I was 13. In high school I used prescription topical creams that worked pretty well but irritated and dried out my skin to no end. As an adult my acne has tended to be mild most of the time but flare up with a couple of cystic spots before my period. Most acne treatments irritate my skin and make it worse, so I had mostly tried to treat it really gently and that seemed to help. Then, last summer I tried the oil cleansing method using jojoba oil and I broke out in moderate to severe acne,much of it cystic, covering most of my face. I still don't know why. Since then I have really struggled to heal it. The cysts would start to die down and then flare up again from hormones or stress over and over. This breakout also has caused the first real acne scarring I've ever had. About 5 months ago I got so frustrated with it I went to a spa for a facial. The aesthetician told me I needed to use all professional spa products (which she then sold me) and come back every 4 weeks for my skin to get clear. I told her that I really couldn't afford this, because I can't. My husband is in grad school and this is enough beyond our means to make me really uncomfortable. I nearly had an anxiety attack after the first facial from worrying about how to afford them and feeling like it was a choice between painful acne and spending tons of money. But, I kept coming just as she'd advised because I am desperate. Within a few months the cystic acne I had was nearly gone, except for an new one hormonally each moth. But, I have continued to have enough non cystic acne to make me very unhappy with my skin and it doesn't seem to be going away. She just says I will eventually have clear skin. It is still worse then my skin was before the OCM disaster.I am worried that the aesthetician is using me to make money. I have started thinking maybe I should quit going for facials, but she has scared me by saying that even if I went every other month it would be like starting from scratch. Am I being ripped off? It seems suspicious to me that she condemned literally all products that are not "professional" as bad. Plus, I think she could be more understanding of my budget. She also told me not to bother giving up dairy, which I have now done anyway and it does seem to be helping me. Sorry for how long this is. There was a lot to get off my chest. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Toto you are being ripped off. Doctors make you come back all the time so that they can pay their rent.

Use Calamine lotion in combination with Sudocream as a spot treatment. Then shower it off.

You need to shower at least twice per day. I do it without any soap just warm water.

I know people say this a lot but you need to drink water or pure juice nothing else.

Clean pillow case is a must

Avoid eating anything that has artificial powders in it (Doritos big no, popcorn, soda big NOs)

Meat doesn't give acne. Pizza doesn't give acne either. So enjoy.

Definitely sounds like the lady at the spa is a grifter.

Spend your money on a dermatologist if you are able to.

Everything I've read about acne and especially sensitive skin indicates that facials cause inflammation and inflammation is bad for such conditions. What I find very disturbing is that cosmotologists keep on saying that facials and extractions are good for people with acne but it simply is not true.

In the past 10 years it has been determined by research that very gentle manipulation of the skin (ie extremely gentle washing with tepid water --- what Dan says is true) is the best thing to do for acne. Adult acne and skin is very different from teen acne and skin. Even the topicals have to be different. Facials and extractions inflame the skin by heating it up, roughly manipulating it and pressing on pores that may get inflammed and infected later from the manipulation. People who love facials may have very superficial acne and they may say it helps their acne but most likely their acne is so mild it isn't as affected by the facials. If you have deep pervasive acne or cysts then facials and extractions will make it worse.

I've been told by derms not to get facials or extractions. The only person who should do an extraction is a dermatologist and if you'll notice even they refrain from doing it because of how it inflames the skin making things worse. The best thing is to let the body push out plugs by itself. Prescription topicals like retinoids can help the process but they work very slowly....on purpose so the skin keeps its integrity and doesn't get too inflammed while the plug is being expelled.

Guest pokemonster

what about gentle moisturiser for areas that r dry? and aha for improving cell turnover? what do u think about those ppl? :think:

Yes, I don't think the facials are good for cystic acne. I have a book by a dermatologist. For mild acne, he mentions the possibility of gentle facials with extraction but I don't think that's good for cystic acne. I would spend my money on a dermatologist instead. If giving up dairy is helping you, that's great. You could also try a low glycemic diet.

From what I've heard pokemonster, aha products and a gentle moisturizer are great for acne. Though some people argue about whether or not aha or bha products are better. (Since bha products can penetrate oil, some people think they're even more effective than aha).

Guest pokemonster

and theres also that mandelic acid? :/

& ive heard somewhere that its even better than aha and bha?

and there r diff other peels as well but idk nothing tho :shrug:

I've heard about mandelic acid too. Someone said it was really good for whiteheads. Never tried it. I'm thinking of trying salicylic acid but it has to be at the right ph and a product without added irritants like alcohol and menthol. I've never tried anything with peels, not sure about that stuff.

Thank you so much for the input everyone. I have decided to quit the facials. It's a relief to have decided that. I also have stopped using the scrub that she suggested. I think it was just aggravating my skin, since a bunch of small pimples and whiteheads I had are calming way down after a week without it. Eliminating dairy really does seem to help me too, and I've become so intolerant of it lately that it just makes sense overall. I've been gradually eating more low glycemic index foods for months now, which might be part of why I've been getting clearer. I also cut out coffee. I am going to treat my skin as gently as possible and see how it goes.

cvd- what you wrote about steam and rough manipulation of the skin makes total sense, since my skin went crazy from the oil cleansing method. I was using hot wash cloths to stream my face and then wiping my face with them to remove the oil and exfoliate. No wonder this caused me worse acne!