Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fredjones

Question for those who have gone through bad acne and no longer have acne

To those who have had really bad acne and then got cured and now have a clean face, i have a question for you.

my theory is that the confidence level of someone who goes through what people with severe acne have gone through will increase permanently and significantly because, 1, there is no more of what causes the biggest insecurity of someones life and most importantly: 2. because we know what we have gone through in the past and so nothing else will ever compare to the amount of embarrassment of some incidents.

so to those who no longer have acne, is this true? what is your confidence level in terms of "life" because i think acne influences all factors of life if severe enough.

To those who have had really bad acne and then got cured and now have a clean face, i have a question for you.

my theory is that the confidence level of someone who goes through what people with severe acne have gone through will increase permanently and significantly because, 1, there is no more of what causes the biggest insecurity of someones life and most importantly: 2. because we know what we have gone through in the past and so nothing else will ever compare to the amount of embarrassment of some incidents.

so to those who no longer have acne, is this true? what is your confidence level in terms of "life" because i think acne influences all factors of life if severe enough.

I struggled with cystic acne for about 8 years and now have what I'd probably consider very mild acne (occasional pimple on jawline that hangs around for awhile but does not scar). I was left with hyperpigmentation issues and rollings scars all over both of my cheeks. Back when I was still experiencing cystic acne and was emotionally at my lowest point, all I'd think was, "Man, if my acne would just go away, I'd seriously be the happiest person in the whole, wide world. I'd never take anything for granted and would have a permanent smile on my face." I literally prayed every day for it to go away. I felt so low and insecure about my acne that all I wanted in the world was for it to go away, and I thought that that alone would bring me happiness.

Fast forward a few years. I now have extremely mild acne and 9 days out of 10, my skin is completely pimple free. While I was happy at first, it was short-lived. I soon found *something* else to feel down about...the red marks...the deep scars...every little imperfection or large pore on my face. So I guess what I'm saying is while for some people, the disappearance of acne may cause confidence, for me that was not the case...I just projected my unhappiness somewhere else. I still look at my skin constantly in the mirror and cover my face with my hair, even when I don't have a single pimple on my face. It's like, when will it even be enough?! Will I ever be happy with my skin? Ugh :doubt:

confidence is all within yourself. we have all these thoughts and ideas of what people "perceive" us to be and look like.

find a good girl/guy who you really like and accepts you for who you are, it will change your life. I used to hate having acne when in high school etc. At that time I thought I was "all that", and honestly if it wasn't for acne, I probably would have ended up with some bad people. The people I have met a long the way and am currently with was worth it.

I've learned a lot about myself and gotten past all that. When the time is right, you will regain your confidence and feel better than ever with a new perspective of life.

do your research and do what "feels" right to you in terms of a regimen. I always felt no cleansers was best for me but anytime I got a little pimple I would panic and buy a new cleanser or start a new regimen, when only this hurt me more. I've always believed healing comes from within and not from harsh chemicals, etc. but that's just me. Again, this may not be the answer for you but do what you "feels" right, no one else can tell you that about yourself. Only you can truly decide whats best for you, that's what I believe....

Good Luck my friend

Ohhh nooooo.. I wish that was the truth, but for me, it is the furthest thing from it. I am a 30 year old woman now, but I still feel just as ugly as that teenaged girl with acne. I had acne problems since I was a young teenager and then it turned into disgusting cystic acne. I turned to drugs for a long time because of my self esteem issues, I could not STAND to look in the mirror, I would throw sheets over my mirrors, and I would not look at myself in the mirror. I would cry everyday and wished to die or wished that I could put a friggin stupid over the counter zit cream on my face and call it a day and wake up and the zit would be gone! Not the case back then..

When I had the worst cystic acne, I had a b/f at the time who insisted on popping them even tho there was no head in sight. He would forcibly hold me down and say. "You just gotta get the sh*t out of your face and you'll be better!" Well, he couldn 't have been further from the truth, and I've read on here from some people who say how they pop their cystic acne and get no scars, etc etc. But, that wasn't my case and I really doubt it's theirs either, but whatever.

Once the acne finally subsided, I had clear skin! No more zits! I even had the crap on my back and chest, and that was gone! I was so happy! However, now I had these hideous boxcar scars on my face. I went tanning for years and years because I felt it hid my scars because otherwise I could not stand to look at my face unless I was tan and loaded up with bronzer. But, now I am "old" and I don't want my skin to wrinkle and look older than I am, so I'm trying to chill out with the tanning, and I've been doing chemical peels on my face and it has significantly reduced the scarring on my face, like crazy.

I hated going out in the sun or the day time cuz I hated the sun glistening on my scars, and I could not look people in the eye or stare for too long because I didn't want them looking at my scars, it was like I have acne all over again! I had been a lifetime substance abuser because when I was high, I wouldn't feel as ugly, being high was the only way I felt comfortable around people. I still constantly struggle with issues and always think I'm ugly, and people are always telling me how "pretty" I am, and now people constantly come up to me and tell me I look like "Jwoww" but I feel humilated when they do that because I still feel the same way I did as a teenager so I think people are messing with me when they say that kind of stuff, but apparently, they aren't.

Who knows if I will ever get a self esteem and I haven't had acne in like 12 years, but I've had the scars and just like any form of abuse, the scars always remain and are a reminder. Hopefully one day when I make enough money, I can afford some serious skin treatments besides these chemical peels, but even then, I prob will still have a low self esteem!

two years ago my acne got horrifically bad, i got treated with tane. Two years on i look and feel so much better. I am not insecure anymore and i dont feel the need to hide behind my hair- i even got it cut shorter!

Something that sticks with me though is when somebody flirts with me, who has only just met me (and is going on looks) i cant help thinking "you would not be talking to me if i still looked how i did"

It has made me realise how shallow some people can be, and the importance of what it is too be on the inside.

Guest Timehealsall
Ohhh nooooo.. I wish that was the truth, but for me, it is the furthest thing from it. I am a 30 year old woman now, but I still feel just as ugly as that teenaged girl with acne. I had acne problems since I was a young teenager and then it turned into disgusting cystic acne. I turned to drugs for a long time because of my self esteem issues, I could not STAND to look in the mirror, I would throw sheets over my mirrors, and I would not look at myself in the mirror. I would cry everyday and wished to die or wished that I could put a friggin stupid over the counter zit cream on my face and call it a day and wake up and the zit would be gone! Not the case back then..

When I had the worst cystic acne, I had a b/f at the time who insisted on popping them even tho there was no head in sight. He would forcibly hold me down and say. "You just gotta get the sh*t out of your face and you'll be better!" Well, he couldn 't have been further from the truth, and I've read on here from some people who say how they pop their cystic acne and get no scars, etc etc. But, that wasn't my case and I really doubt it's theirs either, but whatever.

Once the acne finally subsided, I had clear skin! No more zits! I even had the crap on my back and chest, and that was gone! I was so happy! However, now I had these hideous boxcar scars on my face. I went tanning for years and years because I felt it hid my scars because otherwise I could not stand to look at my face unless I was tan and loaded up with bronzer. But, now I am "old" and I don't want my skin to wrinkle and look older than I am, so I'm trying to chill out with the tanning, and I've been doing chemical peels on my face and it has significantly reduced the scarring on my face, like crazy.

I hated going out in the sun or the day time cuz I hated the sun glistening on my scars, and I could not look people in the eye or stare for too long because I didn't want them looking at my scars, it was like I have acne all over again! I had been a lifetime substance abuser because when I was high, I wouldn't feel as ugly, being high was the only way I felt comfortable around people. I still constantly struggle with issues and always think I'm ugly, and people are always telling me how "pretty" I am, and now people constantly come up to me and tell me I look like "Jwoww" but I feel humilated when they do that because I still feel the same way I did as a teenager so I think people are messing with me when they say that kind of stuff, but apparently, they aren't.

Who knows if I will ever get a self esteem and I haven't had acne in like 12 years, but I've had the scars and just like any form of abuse, the scars always remain and are a reminder. Hopefully one day when I make enough money, I can afford some serious skin treatments besides these chemical peels, but even then, I prob will still have a low self esteem!

wow, amazing story. how much improvement did the peels do for your boxcars?

DId you want to kill your ex? Fucking stupid ass idiot. My story is different, i had moderate acne, but i never popped my acne, never.

But i still have mild scars and they depress me GREATLY.

for six years i had mild to moderate acne,but after 4 months course of accutane my face is flawless now..i gained confidence now.

Guest pokemonster

i had sever acne (i actually wowd myself when found pics recently with rly having that on my face bcz somehow at that time it skipped my brain that i actually have it severe 0_o ive allways thought i probz have almost moderately severe or close to it, but never admit i had it severe, but then i find those pics n wow realise now .__.) & even tho its no where near as bad to what it was, however its far from flawless as well -__- buut anyhow cant say ive gained much confidence tbh, maybe tiny bit, sometimes for various reasons i get gutsy n have somekinda arrogance seizures lawl or overconfidence of somekind, that yep :- but to rly be able go where alot of ppl n peers r n feel free n stay that way constantly, that nope :( so even tho id like to agree with u i have to say there might be cases where even when/if u completely cure fuking acne there still be alot of work on social anxiety n all that gained mental shiz anywayz :doubt: but hey maybe thats just me, afterall depends on person etc..

Well I can tell you now that when my acne disappeared, my confidence returned, or rather came about like some sort of nuclear explosion. Confidence increases dramatically, but will not last if acne comes back, even just one spot sends the self crawling back indoors seeking refuge in front of a mirror. I'm not sure what exactly your question is, but when my acne disappeared, I did what I've always wanted to do: I went travelling. I found it remarkably easy to meet people and keep connections, to allow myself to be happy because there was nothing 'wrong' with me anymore. I could finally look at myself in the mirror and smile and acknowledge that I've wasted my precious youth spent indoors and promising never again will I allow anything remotely similiar to happen again, as in, acne will no longer hold me prisoner. And I'd revisit this acne board and think how I'm no longer capable to identify with the posters expressing how depressed they are and how they're letting acne take over their life.

Now when I find myself face to face with just one spot on my face, thinking would it be so bad if I stayed indoors today? I can't afford to do that - I firmly remind myself that I've handled scorpians, snakes, fought off leeches in jungles, climbed mountains, fought bronchitis in India, dodged cow poo daily, and overall enlightened and cultured my ignorant self and liberated myself from my petty ways, slept among ants and beetles and totally discarded my OCD germophobic ways, having a clean acne free face really does liberate and is akin to emerging from a dark cell and shaking those chains from around your wrists and ankles and falling down on your knees and gorging on riches beyond your imagination.

Acne when severe enough is debilitating because it's disfiguring and can distort the way we would ideally like to introduce ourselves to the world. Though once you put it aside, put aside your vanity and plunge into the world you might be able to accomplish something that you can then draw on as a source of confidence. You then say, acne can't take that amazing accomplishment away from me, you draw confidence from a life experience - well hopefully you allow to have wonderful life experiences and don't let acne keep you imprisoned in some cell, hoping for it to get better in order to be confident or feel good about yourself.

What I meant was, you can't wait for acne to disappear in order to be confident in yourself, because confidence should ideally come from elsewhere. You know, like, what you're good at, what you've done, what you can do etc. Why should you wait for acne to disappear to have even an ounce of confidence?

Accutane gave me a huge confidence boost. I am really content with how I look now. Couldn't ask for better skin. Other people around me are noticing the change in confidence, as well. A few people whom I had never even spoken to before seem to be paying attention to me. I don't really acknowledge that they are, but I definitely notice it. I don't think I have ever felt like this before, to be quite honest with you. I feel unfettered.. like anything is possible now.

For me my acne worked like this: I would have perfectly clear skin for a week > get a breakout (usually 1-3 cystic) > heal the breakout for a week > Clear skin again for a week > another breakout etc... When my breakouts would happen around the weekend I use to not want to go to parties with my friends and stuff, because I didn't want people to see me who didn't know I had acne. So it had an effect on my social life; that is the best part for me now, never having to hide.

Guest Chrisâ„¢

To sum up a million word response into about a couple of sentences...

I had severe cystic acne about 10 years ago. I got rid of it mostly with two courses of accutane. Now I've had very bad scars left all over my face ever since. Here's how my confidence level progressed:

Before I had acne in my early teens I was very confident

When my cystic acne hit and I was going through that shit for several years, my confidence dropped to negative 585, whatever the hell that means. I considered myself less than human for a long time. It was a huge problem for me from my mid teens until my early twenties. I just couldn't shake it.

Fast foward about 10 years or so and now I'm probably guilty of being overly confident. While I still have very bad scars left from my past, to be honest with you, not much can really phase me these days. I've literally been through hell and pulled myself back out somehow. This probably sounds crazy to you, but I actually think a lot about how weak a lot of people are and how much stronger I am now that I've been through what I've been through. I still have severe scars all over my face now and tbh with you it doesn't matter all that much anymore to me. There's much more important shit to occupy myself with now. Not sure if that answered your question or not, but whatever, that's my story.

I took accutane and have been off for about 6 weeks. Now that I am clear, I am definitely more confident in certain situations, but I have acne scarring, so when I am talking to someone I am still very self-conscious about that. If I did not have scarring at all, I believe my confidence would be even higher.

I'm about 95-100% consistently clear now. I am 33 and have acne since I was 11 years old. It went from mild, to moderate, to cystic, back to moderate before I got it under control. I have been 95-100% consistetly clear for around a year now. Yes my confidence has improved dramaticly, but as someone else said, I'm now nit picking other things about my face that I never gave a second thought to when I had tons of breakouts. Like I'm now sometimes self consious about my undereye circles. Or the several icepic scars I have scattered over my face. Or my overly large pores on my nose and cheeks. Or some of the dark spots I STILL have left over from acne that I feel I have to cover with makeup.

But I realize that nit picking these things is sort of silly considering the condition my face was in just a couple years ago. So usually I just tell those voices to GTFO and tell myself I'm my own worst critic. :D

Everyone notices I'm much more confident then I was a few years ago but I still struggle to hold eye contact for more then 3-4 seconds at a time because old habits die hard. The one thing I noticed when I first got clear was that I started to obsess over different flaws that didn't bother me before. Learning to love yourself the way you are runs much deeper then just getting rid of acne.

I would think it's the opposite. If you've had acne, you'd always be worried it could come back.

I have noticed this too. I get extremely paranoid at times and still continue to inspect my face. Old habits do die hard, like a previous poster said.