Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ivy.

Ladies - Period and treating acne with diet...

So I'v been eating relitively healthy for the past two months, trying to treat my acne internally through diet. I'v been eating things like spinach, blueberries, stawberries, apples, other veggies....been drinking green tea and avoiding most processed foods.

BUT, alas this month, apparently my period has decided to be a jerk and give me four nice painful pimples on my cheek, chin, and temple. (im pissed about the acne on my cheek because I had PIH marks there that have been fading and now these two pimples are in the same spot and ruined everything :{ )

So, ladies, how are you still dealing with premenstral acne?

I was lucky last month and didn't have a single pimple during my period (which never happens...in fact I haven't had any pimples in a month and now this :( very depressing)

So I'v been eating relitively healthy for the past two months, trying to treat my acne internally through diet. I'v been eating things like spinach, blueberries, stawberries, apples, other veggies....been drinking green tea and avoiding most processed foods.

BUT, alas this month, apparently my period has decided to be a jerk and give me four nice painful pimples on my cheek, chin, and temple. (im pissed about the acne on my cheek because I had PIH marks there that have been fading and now these two pimples are in the same spot and ruined everything :{ )

I was lucky last month and didn't have a single pimple during my period (which never happens...in fact I haven't had any pimples in a month and now this :( very depressing)

All those things you listed are great, but the only thing that ever stops my premenstrual acne is cutting sugar. When I cut sugar, I DO NOT break out, EVER. My skin is crystal clear, and isn't all oily and ruddy. I'm trying to strictly cut sugar as long as I can, so that my body can get back in balance and then I can add sugar back in once in a while. Cutting sugar is the single best thing I've ever done for my body and my skin. You can feel and see the difference. It's friggin tough, but it's worth it to me.

Edited by smartie

i remember before, anybody could tell a couple of days before my time of the month :mad: ... i had the painful type of acne( like 2-3 at a time) that weren't whiteheads but rather the swollen red ones.. nodules, cysts... i rly dont know but u get the picture

since feb i've been using turmeric and b.soda for my acne and scarring. i've made it my new regimen b/c its worked wonders... and my last period which was in march i was shocked!... b/c i had not one breakout!!

even my mom was shocked when i told her. anyway idk if it was cuz i got lucky or whatever, but i highly beleive its b/c of my regimen.

as for my diet, i remember that i was real cautious with what i ate- i stayed away from fast food (which i love :( ) but now i can practically eat whatever i like (all with moderation of course :))... just last week for like 4days staright i had those huge, greasy pizzas from sabarro at my college... and nothing!... im not saying that b/c of my reigmen that im gonna start eating crap all the time b/c that would be dumb, but what i am saying is i've noticed that i don't realy have to rule anything out :)

(i just totally contradicted my "with moderation" comment by saying i ate those pizzas 4 days straight -____- lol!)

Edited by dragonfly21

I never had menstrual related breakouts or really any other issue. My acne was constant. So I have no advice specific to that. But, in addition to eating healthy foods in place of empty, processed crap, you need to keep your blood sugar stable by avoiding high glycemic load meals, drinks and snacks. Excess insulin stimulates the production of excess other hormones.

Oh, and maybe you should look into things like estrogen dominance, chasteberry vitex, etc.

More info on the above: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

I have the same problem as you, but I started this holistic path, around 10 months ago. My skin is not too bad but I still have breakouts before my period, this past month just got some few ugly pimples that are still healing.

I think it's better to go to see a Naturapath and get hormones fully tested, my Dr keeps telling my hormones are fine, but they did just blood tests and I don't think he tested all that he needed to test. From my experience this is not something quick, there will be ups and downs I think because you don't know what your unbalance is and if you start doing things that could be affecting your hormones you are only going to get worse, for example flax seed seem to be estrogenic, I have had flax seeds a bit on my diet but not sure of the effect though. Green tea is a DHT inhibitor but in some cases it raises it, no idea why but this is what I have noticed if I have green tea often my skin gets oilier, so I drink peppermint tea instead which seems to be helping. Another thing I notice is if I increase my consumption of even healthy fats I get more breakouts around that time.

Any ways here is a link cyclediet.com that I found and I might try to follow the general advices, I'm keeping a dairy I think is a good idea to know exactly when you get the break outs and any other relevant info, since you might have a better idea of how the ups or downs of hormones are affecting your skin. For example this matches my case when estrogen is at the highest my skin looks awesome, but when progesterone is supposed to reach the highest my skin gets the dreaded pimples, may be because there is more free testorene to mess around.

Sorry just trying to delete the previous post that I posted twice

Edited by Luisa

watch your soy and dairy intake - eliminate them if possible. That should help your hormones from spiking so dramatically.

also the sugar like smartie said, sugar really does a number on both your immune system and your hormones. If you crave chocolate, eat greens - you're likely really craving magnesium.

All those things you listed are great, but the only thing that ever stops my premenstrual acne is cutting sugar. When I cut sugar, I DO NOT break out, EVER. My skin is crystal clear, and isn't all oily and ruddy. I'm trying to strictly cut sugar as long as I can, so that my body can get back in balance and then I can add sugar back in once in a while. Cutting sugar is the single best thing I've ever done for my body and my skin. You can feel and see the difference. It's friggin tough, but it's worth it to me.

i'll have to try and avoid sugar particularly a week before my period and during it. I don't know what I ate last month but I had no acne at all which never happens. I started slacking on my diet because my face was clear :{

I have the inevitable acne after stopping birth control and find that it always flares up the week AFTER my period. I wonder if this means i have a different kind of hormone problem or dominance idk

Anyway when you say cut sugar does that mean even things like blueberries and strawberries?

Brown rice? oats? (carbs)

I don't get any acne on my diet.

The problem is your period will inflame your system a lot and that inflammation will aggravate whatever state your acne is in at the time. The cool thing is, over time, eating the right (anti inflammatory, alkalinizing, no allergens, etc) diet for your body will eliminate other nasty symptoms of your period as well. I rarely get PMS anymore and my cramps have been better than they've been in the past. Some women on the raw foods diet claim their cramps disappeared all together.

Edited by DejaClaireVoyant