Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some background info, I've acne ever since I was about 12...At first it was few here and there, then gradually got worse. I've tried almost all OTC products, acne free, bp, you name it. I've tried antibiotics, tretinion cream which did clear me up pretty good for a while...Then I was prescribed benzaclin, which didn't seem to do much. Eventually the tretinion cream didn't do much at all, my face was always red and shit, so I just stopped that for the about 6 months...

I basically gave up on my skin after that, I tried Acnescript hoping that would work but that didn't do anything, so yea...After a while I eve stopped washing my face just to see if a miracle could happen.

Now I'm on Accutane, finally! I'm taking 20 mg a day for now, I weigh 140 pounds so that sounds right. Next month it'll be upped to probably 20 mg twice a day I'm guessing.

Right now I'm on day 4.

Heres my acne as of now, my left side of my face is actually pretty clear for the most part, except for my cheeks....My right side is my real problem, has always been that way.

As for side effects, nothing as of yet...My skin is still oily, but a good sign is that all my whiteheads seem to be coming to the surface, the IB is here hahah...

I'll be reporting every day, posting pics every week...Thanks for following. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me!

post-138829-1302204070_thumb.jpg

post-138829-1302204098_thumb.jpg

post-138829-1302204070_thumb.jpg

post-138829-1302204098_thumb.jpg

Day 6

I haven't noticed any side effects like joint pain, muscle pain, or anything. I was out at the gym playing basketball for a good 4 hours, didn't notice anything... My lips are starting to get dryer each day. I'm actually starting to notice a reduction in my oil and the little whiteheads that are coming to a head or so dry that they just peel off!

So for so good.

Day 8

My face is a little dryer, my lips aren't actually that bad...Well the IB is in full effect as of now lol, but whatever it can't get any worse than I've had in the past..

No serious side effects, no back pain, joint pain, headaches, etc.

I'm starting to notice my oil production drop each and every day, that's a good thing.

any others been on 20 mg? is that enough? did you see results?

thanks

Day 9

Again nothing serious.. My oil production is pretty much none as of now, so I suspect good things to come..

It's just this IB is fucking lame, I'm getting zits on my forehead which I NEVER have gotten before...There's a lot of stuff under my skin so I guess I can't say I didn't see it coming.

If anyone is reading this, how long did your IB last? What's typical length? I'm thinking like 2 - 3 weeks for me..I can only hope

Day 11

No serious side effects, just dryer lips and face.

So yea this IB is pretty shitty, to sum my skin up it pretty much looks like a big piece of shit. Everything is starting to come up and if fucking sucks so bad, it's painful...

Not to mention that my mom told me she'd be better off if I dropped dead today, so yea she pretty much made my day a whole hell of a lot better, stupid bitch.... Oh well I guess not everyone can have supportive parents, nothing new to me.

hey mate hang in there.

don't get bogged down by what others say.ppl are gonna talk shit till they die, we just gotta learn not to give a fck.well the right side of ma face is more badly afflicted compared to left..and i've been on accutane too..thinkin of goin for a second round..it kinda messed up my eyesight the last time..so been having second thoughts..i'll be following your regime..

presently i'm on retin-A + Differin + turmeric juice(yucks)

Thanks bro I appreciate you following my log, and yea I know I'm used to people saying shit...I mean yea it got me pissed but when I got to school I forgot all about and went about my day as normal, it just sticks in the back of my head.

How bad did it mess up your eyesight? Is it just the night vision or both day too? sorry to hear that.....

Thanks bro I appreciate you following my log, and yea I know I'm used to people saying shit...I mean yea it got me pissed but when I got to school I forgot all about and went about my day as normal, it just sticks in the back of my head.

How bad did it mess up your eyesight? Is it just the night vision or both day too? sorry to hear that.....

hang in there bro- i started feb 22 dis year- go check mine and see u aint alone in dis shit-

an NO, 20mg isnt shit. go on at least 40, 80mg at most, like me, cuz i was seein slight results on my first month of 80 but den she dropped me down to 40 for the second month. go to my log and see the results of that :/.................Hopefully IT'll ALL BE WORTH IT!

No...The 20 mg seems to me it's working just fine, I only weigh 140 so I'm expecting my derm to bump me up to 40 mg next month, pretty sure I'll reach the cumalitive dosage.

I'm getting the side effects of dry skin, lips and less oily skin so it's working like it's supposed to man.

So I can officially say my acne has never been like this in my entire life, every where you look on my face there's some kind of fucking bump....My forehead, which is always clear is breaking out...I woke up this morning feeling okay, then as the day progresses I develop 2 fucking cysts on my face...Which I NEVER get, EVER. And I already have a cyst on my side of my face that keeps getting re opened because when I shave I can't help but open it, so thats a fucking scab that'll scar...

By the end of this it better be worth it, I hope I don't have a fucking face full of scars because I already have a enough, this IB is bullshit it's like world war 3 on my face....I can't even shave because when I do I cut open zits and they bleed which = scabs = scars FUCK MY LIFE.

Seriously this shit sucks, I plan to stay in my house for the whole weekend fuck my social life i can't go out looking like a fucking alien, it's really disgusting...

GAHHH I JUST HAD TO RANT, SORRY....

Day 14

Well, the cool thing about Accutane is that the pimples dry off and basically fall off...The cyst that was developing on my right side by my sideburns went away quick with the help of BP too..so that'll flake off in a few days..

No serious side effects, but my lips are starting to get way drier, along with my face (no oil though!)

I'm still going through the IB but my acne is actually starting to die down, all that's left is the pores by my nose to come up and the blackheads...After this breakout out on my right side of my face goes away it'll be clear, along with the left side at least I hope since I don't see any under lying whiteheads as of now..

Here's some pics

post-138829-1303055994_thumb.jpg

post-138829-1303056013_thumb.jpg

post-138829-1303055994_thumb.jpg

post-138829-1303056013_thumb.jpg

Edited by jjballer22

Hey! There is definitely a noticeable change in the pictures from day 1. Good for you! Good luck with the rest of your course!

Hey man, how you holding up? I saw your posting and felt like I should give you some words of encouragement! Let me start off by saying that I know EXACTLY how your are feeling through this! I went through this, so I thought I would share my experience with you. I'm 24 and just started my third course of Accutane (same day as you actually). And I know what you're probably thinking, "Crap, 3 courses...it must not work!" But let me tell you, it works!! By the end of your course, you will agree that it was all worth it! The only reason I did a second course, let alone a third, was because my oiliness started coming back a little and my dermatologist allowed me to take additional courses of Accutane even though it's meant for serious and nodular acne. And the side effects aren't a problem for me.

So, when I was 17 I started my first course of Accutane, and based on your pictures you posted I had the same skin type as you, if not a little worse! I started getting acne when I was about 13, and immediately started seeing a dermatologist. I've been on EVERY medication you can think of, name it and I've probably been on it. Tried every topical, oral med, proactiv, facials, peels, and nothing works for me!! When I would try a new med, it seems to work immediatly and I would feel like it was finally going to go away...but then by a few weeks it would just get worse and then I would get my hopes up! Finally, by 17 I was simply fed up with my acne, so my derm put me on accutane.

I was about your weight, and my derm started me off with 30mg per day for the first month. 20mg seems a bit low for you, but I'm sure you will be increasing at your next visit. On your first cycle, I heard that it's better to start off low and increase from there. After about 3-4 days, my lips started getting a little dry...no biggie to me...but my skin wasn't getting dry. Then at about 1 week...my face seemed to get imflamed for some reason. I didn't know what happened, but it seemed like all of a sudden my face was extremely red and broke out twice as bad as it ever had, and I even was getting acne where I never did before on my face. Normally, my chin and cheeks were the worst, then I started getting some on my forhead. During that week, I noticed I was now getting more cystic acne! I called my derm to make sure this was normal, and he talked me through it. He told me it would start getting better, but I would have to leave my face alone! I had to stop touching it and stop picking at any pimples (which is hard for me!) I tried my best to listen but of course it's hard to not pick! (which I regret, because I have a couple small scars now, but the extra courses of Accutane are helping that!)

I remember...it was day 12....and that was the peak of the serious acne. I was feeling depressed about my face...I would just sit in my room because I didn't want to be around anyone. I didn't want to go in public, let alone school. It was difficult and I didn't know what to do! But after day 12...from there...it all got BETTER!! The worst part was over! The redness started going away, the oiliness seemed to just GO away, and I started getting a little on the dry side. By the time I went in to start my second month, I was smiling again for the first time because I was seeing SERIOUS results. Based on your pictures, I can tell you that you're already getting past the worst part!! Keep telling yourself that you made it this far....you're going to be fine!! To get myself through it, I kept picturing myself with clear skin, and I knew that it wasn't too far away now! For me personally, my acne was COMPLETELY gone at about 3 months or so! The first month...the WORST...the second month...SO MUCH BETTER...third month....GREAT!!!! And then from there it was a matter of finishing my six month cycle! Ever since my face has been completely changed!

I wanted to ask you...what products are you using on your face currently? Such as to wash your face, to moisturize, etc?? Becuase this part of it can really make a difference. And you're taking the pills at or around the same time every day...and with food?

I really want to follow with you through your course and give each other guidance! Keep me posted on what's going on, and if you have any questions about anything, maybe I can give some advice man! HUGE difference between pictures from the first to now...think of that!! =) I can't wait to see you post a photo of how much better your skin is...I can guarantee you will be smiling in the photo! You're almost there!!

(Sorry it's so long!!) lol.

Soccer, thanks for your reply it's encouraging to hear those kind of words from someone who has used this medication before...

Yea I think I'm just getting past the peak of the worst part, my skin is staring to clear I think today when I woke up I was like " damn I had 2 cysts developing a couple days ago and a red face and now it's clearing up!" My skin is deffinantly way less oily, like no oil at all on my face.

I just use clearisil face wash (if that's how you spell it lol) and no I don't moisturize it makes my face feel all nasty, like when I used to use Retin A I had to because my face was sooo dry but so far with Accutane it's just flaky skin, my face isn't bone dry at all but it just feels more "normal" you could say.

Edit: Yes, I take my pill with my dinner which is always around 530 - 630

I read the directions on the box (;

Edited by jjballer22

Sometimes it's nice to hear from other's who are dealing with the same situations as you! I can't tell you how tired I am of watching those commercials with people who miraculously got clear skin by using Proactiv (or whatever the product is). Sure it works for some, but there's people like you and I that it frankly doesn't do crap!

I'm so glad to hear that!! It's definitely only going to get better from here! Once the oiliness is gone, that's when I was told it is past the "getting worse" stage! =)

Same way with you on the moisturizer...can't stand the way my face feels afterwards! That's why I generally will only apply a little at night after a shower, I noticed it does help with the flakiness the next day, but that's just me. I can't put any on during the day without feeling gross!

Oh jeeze...Retina-A...!! UGH! Couldn't stand that stuff...didn't do anything except make my face RED and then DRY! But it never got better. I talked to a derm about Retina-A and he told me it can take up to a full year of using this stuff before it really works. OKAY...I want to deal with this for a YEAR? No Thanks!

I use the same wash. I'll switch between that and also Dove wash for Sensitive skin. Both are great and doesn't irritate my skin. I've tried Benzyl Peroxide washes...but those irritate my skin too much.

Congrats though, I'm stoked you're feeling better about this! When do you go in for your next visit?

yea, for me Retin A worked after like 3 months then I'd say i was about 85 % clear for about 3 months then it just stopped working. Yea I can't wait until I really start to see results, have to be patient can't expect it to clear over night though hhaaha even though that would be nice lol.

I go in on May 4th for my blood test, I assume my doctor will bump me up to 40 mg or something since I have no bad side effects except for the dry lips I'm pretty active and I haven't noticed any muscle pain, joint pain or anything like that.

Wouldn't that be nice if there was something to cure acne overnight!!!??? You would think with all the advancements we have today...but I guess someday! lol. Until then...we have Accutane!

Yea, it'll be interesting to see what your dr. says when you go in. Thankfully you aren't experiencing the negative side effects that some people get, makes the situation even worse!

Well keep us updated on this!

Day 16

Well, this is nothing new to me, still waking up with new zits every day..Whatever I'm not stressing it since I'll be clear in a month anyway. It's just really annoying.

As for side effects, still dry lips and I woke up with some back soreness it's probably from playing softball, first time in a while or the Accutane, either way it went away midday.

So far things are steady, not great but I can't really complain I guess.

Day 19

Idk if it's just me or what, but my skin looks and feels smoother, minus the zits lol. But my face is getting dry, not to the point where it's unbearable but it's there, along with no little to no production of oil on my face.

I'm still going through the IB, but I think it's starting to die down, at least I hope, it's almost been 3 weeks.

No serious side effects, just dry lips and face.

Edited by jjballer22

Day 21

No improvements at all, still dry skin and lips.

My acne is 100 x worse right now than it has ever been, I'm having second thoughts on why I even tried this medication if it's going to make me look like a monster.

To sum it all up, I look like shit and feel like shit. My face is a damn mountain range, it's the only way I can describe it. Oh well if this doesn't work I guess I'll just have acne the rest of my life, time to start investing in paper bags.

Day 21

No improvements at all, still dry skin and lips.

My acne is 100 x worse right now than it has ever been, I'm having second thoughts on why I even tried this medication if it's going to make me look like a monster.

To sum it all up, I look like shit and feel like shit. My face is a damn mountain range, it's the only way I can describe it. Oh well if this doesn't work I guess I'll just have acne the rest of my life, time to start investing in paper bags.

Stick it out, it will get better but it's going to take a few months

Be patient jj...... tane works ;) . You're just purging. I purged for almost four months and had the same thoughts. I remember a friend's daughter coming up to me and asking if I had chicken pox. I was definitely embarrased but I kept looking forward. Be as positive as you can and stay away from negative people. Don't look in the mirror for minutes at a time examining every nook and cranny of your face. Stay moist and if you have to do what I did: wear a mask of Eucerin around the house and look like the joker... why so serious (talk like him too if you want) :D

Edited by NoTanSuperman

Day 25

Well ummm not much to report, I'm still going through the IB I think but all in all I'm content with my skin.

No serious side effects, but the dry lips are starting to really suck they crack and shit I hate it. Oh well it's worth it for clear skin..

Hopefully I'm almost done with this breaking out shit, I've been breaking out for the past 3 weeks I think I'm due for some clear.

Day 27

Well, my face is still nasty...It's breaking out still but whatever that's the lesser of my worries in my life right now. I honestly don't care if this medicine even works anymore, if it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't

On a side note, life is pretty shitty...Some dumb bitch in my school parking lot parked to close to me and scratched up my dad's nice truck, now I'm getting the blame for it... I'm going to hear this for awhile.

So yea pretty much I'm in "Fuck it" mode, I really don't care anymore.