Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oldguy

Accutane and Smoothbeam - good, bad, or ugly?

Question: If Accutane works by damaging the sebaceous (oil) glands in order to reduce oil production and thereby, helping acne, and Smoothbeam works by doing the exact same thing, wouldn't Smoothbeam cause scarring like Roaccutane has for so many people?

Discuss.

Many people on this very board claim it. I remember reading an Al Frankin book though that referred to some info that was found on the "prestigious internet". bb_smile.gif Do you think their scarring was not caused by Accutane, or have you just never heard about it?

Well, for 8 years I blamed Accutane for my scarring. But I've found that many others have had minimal or no scarring after taking the medication. I know for certain that Accutane made my face alot worse in terms of acne after I started taking it, before it cleared up. After the scarring appeared, I could only blame it for my problems, and did so for years. But, almost 3 months ago, I started a second round of Accutane for occasional stress-induced cysts, which cleared up. At the onset, I had only a few cysts which were gone within 1 or 2 weeks. So maybe my experience this time around is due to my minimal acne, and the fact that my oil glands were already reduced by the first round. But that was 9 years ago and not sure whether the effect would still persist all these years. I'm sure had I taken Accutane 1 year earlier, when I only had a few pimples, I'd have avoided the "potential" to scar since even if Accutane contributed to scarring, acne would be part of the recipe. To have wiped out the acne before its existence (by shrinking the oil glands) I don't see how one could scar. That's why I put the blame on my incompetent SOB dermatologist, as I kept asking him to prescribe me Accutane after reading about it in a fitness magazine when I was 16. He said I didn't "need" it, but several months later after the damage had been done, he says "now you need it." The whole theory behind this drug is to avoid scarring right? When a freakin dermatologist realizes that you have even 1 cyst, or one scar, he or she should know that you have the potential to scar even more, and thus should prescribe you the damn med. So it has side effects, ie. dry lips, depression.. WTF cares? A few months of that is certainly better than skin disfiguring, confidence destroying, livelihood penetrating acne/scars. I'd take cancer any day to have my original skin back. Are they retarded? They know that scarring is devastating and permanent, especially for someone that age with the best of their years ahead. I don't see how these freaks can keep their MD's or faculty positions at universities with such obscene stupidity.

I'm sorry that your doctors seem to have made you angry, and I have to say that I share the sentiment. When I went to a derm and asked for Accutane he said my acne wasn't bad enough. It does make sense that drying up the oil glands could damage and even scar the skin, since it would become very dry and brittle. I can't find any hard data on Accutane causing scarring, unfortunately. We KNOW that cystic acne causes it though!

Someday doctors will compare current acne treatments to bloodletting with leeches. Although companies make billions selling desperate Americans any crap that says 10% benzoyl peroxide on it, and any number of bullshit potions with catch words like collagen enhancing, copper peptides, ALA, vitamins, etc. ad nauseum, so I doubt the cure would come from them. Probably a vaccine will come from Europe, or Australia, or...something. (The company that was working on one recently cancelled the project)

The damage has already been done to my face, but I do have extreme empathy for younger people who still are going through the worst part of it. Anyway, maybe some people will chime in and tell us if they think Accutane caused more scarring and why they think so.

I feel like accutane has "weathered" me well beyond my years .... thats the only way I can put it. It's changed the texture and color of my skin. Perhaps is just aging, but I dunno. (I'm 25)

To be honest it's hard to say, I know that for myself and for others, it seems it may be a case of once the the cysts and acne clears up then the damage is revealed>rather than the med causing additional scarring. if you've got a face full of inflammation, that in and of itself can hide small dents, marks, etc....

Personally i was put on accutane because my acne was beginning to leave scars and the worst ones and majority happened BEFORE accutane. I have to admit I squeezed the dickens out of a few areas on my face while on accutane and I got either no scars or very very superficial scarring from doing that. I did peel a lot on the accutane it seemed, like hyper healing or peeling around scars that actually helped diminish some scarring. Keep in mind I was also temporarily unknowingly hypothyroid while on accutane so talk about a horribe double whammy against healing. Accutane was powerful enough to clear up my skin regardless of the hormones in just two months.I got tiny breakouts after and some more white heads until i found the source of what screwed with my hormones and now for Ibarely even get minor breakouts.

And don't overly irritate your skin that makes skin SURROUNDING a scar swell up giving the illusion of a deeper scar this confusing sh*t has happened to me a bunch of times and could explain why one day scars seem minor and the next ahhhhhhhh!

IMO, I don't think Accutane causes scarring.. It causes a big breakout when you first take it and I think the breakout is some of what can scar you, not the Accutane.. Also, like Chloe, most my scars occurred before I took Accutane.. I know Accutane slows down the healing process but I don't think it in any way CAUSES the scarring... Sorry if I'm being repetitive..

I think Accutane caused some of my scarring, for sure. I had a small hypertrophic scar before I started, which grew when I took Acctuane and never healed. It expanded to about twice the size whilst I took Accutane. I have a few other scars, but I have no idea if accutane caused this. It's ugly as fuck, buy I don't get servere cystic acne anymore biggrin.gif:D

I guess that Accutane doesn't cause scarring after all then. If it dries up the sebaceous glands and one doesn't moisturize enough though, common sense would dictate that the resulting very dry skin would cause scars. It's a shame so many people have said that Accutane does cause scarring, warning off those who really could use it. The irony is that by avoiding it for fear of scarring, they get more scarring. I hope this info helps someone; I never used the drug myself. I suppose that’s mainly why I’m scarred.

Alrighty then: Accutane does NOT cause scarring, it prevents it. That’s my theory and I’m stickin’ to it.

I'm stickin' to your theory, too, oldguy. bb_wink.gif

I honestly think my scars are the result of my derm pussyfooting around with me and wasting my time and my money with antibiotics and horrid chemical peels when I should've been on Accutane. The SOB *knew* my fair Irish skin had the potential to scar, he so much as stated it to me himself, yet he kept me on ineffective crap medicine for well over a year. Not to mention some other unmentionable problems that are the residual effect of being on antibiotics for over a year that I never had before allowing him to screw me up. Sorry, I know I've said it before, but now that I know better, I'd love to put my foot up that jerk's @ss. What a shyster.

And then, when I needed Accutane again, although my acne wasn't that severe but getting there, you wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through to try to get put back on Accutane. I had new insurance and couldn't go back to my old derm, and most derms I called had a 3-month waiting list. mad.gif So there I am, making appointments with 3 different doctors and begging them to call me if someone cancelled, all the while panicking knowing things were going to get a whole lot worse before I could even get through the door of a doctor's office. The zits kept coming, and damage on top of old damage (that was just starting to look better) was being done. (I won't go into the fact that I was so desperate I took matters into my own hands, in a sense...)

The first derm I saw after waiting months for an appointment was infuriating. She knew the long laundry list of meds I had been on and wanted to put me on some antibiotic and see if that worked before even considering Accutane. Uh, yeah right, honey. Do I look like a moron? I tried not to start sobbing as I told her that I had already been on Accutane for 8 months and I knew what was involved. She's going on with the schpiel about the birth control and what if I got pregnant, blah blah. I was cursing under my breath. I said "I've already been through this and didn't get myself knocked up." She wouldn't budge. She handed me some prescription for antibiotic pills and I had to resist tearing it up in her face. I finally found a no-B.S. derm one month after that who listened to me and put me on Accutane right away. I almost kissed the man's feet.

So that's why I'm scarred. Dealing with that 3-ring circus. I thank the sweet goddess above for Accutane. If it weren't for that, I'd be worse off. I've noticed any bad cuts I get don't heal up as well as they did before taking it, but I would've dealt with any side effect just to have something finally work on my face and help me.

~Kat

I ve never had any scars or lasting red marks in 4 years of cystic acne (popping zits, bleeding and everything). My mother had cystic acne till her mid 30s, never been on accutane, she now has really a nice skin, no mark, no scar. I think the tendency to scar is also inherited.

I got scars 2 months after i started accutane (when i started to clear), actually i could see that while the zit was leaving, the entire area was depressed (no popping of course). once the zit had left, i got a hole. Even now, 8months post accutane i still freak out when i have a pimple, but i dont scar anymore, just get red marks

Lots of people report that they take a while to heal, that they scar, or have joints problems (joints have the same sugars (GAGS) that are present in the skin) while on accutane, i dont think it s a coincidence. hopefully it s not the case for everyone. It must be a side effect like any other.

To sum up, i only got scars while on accutane

For me, Accutane itself only caused a few scars. Most of my scars were already there before I went on Accutane. As for the hyperpigmentation/redmarks, I honestly can't recall if my face was like that before I went on Accutane. I think some of it might be attributed to Accutane and the other could be because of my olive skin type...I have more melanin in my skin so I'm more likely to have those red marks from old acne stay there...for a very very long time. Yes, I too don't understand why my derm didn't pressure me to do Accutane earlier....I probably would have avoided a couple of scars.

i didn`t scar once in 6 years from acne then i took accutane and within 1 year have a face full of scars, i had no massive outbreak of acne during the course, it just didn`t work ..... anyway ... i think it most definitely causes scarring