Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alyssa14

Mouth Pains Before Breakout

Usually my really bad breakouts, which consist of nodules mostly, come a day after I get really bad mouth pains. I don't know how to describe it, but my inner cheeks, parts of my tongue, and sometimes even going down into my throat, begins to swell and hurt really badly, and a bad breakout ALWAYS follows, on whatever side inside the mouth was hurting. It can also hurt my ears sometimes. I started taking acidophilus and my skin drastically cleared in the matter of a month. My skin has been almost completely clear for the first time in 5 years, until this past month, I've been having problems again, with the mouth swelling and the breakouts. I asked two doctors, and they both just kind of shrugged and said "that's weird." But didn't look into it and couldn't tell me what it was or what to do about it. Does anyone else get this? And can anyone tell me what to do? Or why this is happening?

Back story; I used to have acne all over my face and I would get that mouth swelling about once or twice a week and the breakouts always followed, so no breakout ever had time to heal, my face was always covered, ever inch, in nodules and cysts. I started taking acidophilus and within a few weeks there was a drastic difference in my acne, and the mouth pains stopped. I am still taking the acidophilus, but lately I've been getting those mouth pains on occassion, and I keep getting really bad breakouts the next day. My acne is still no where as bad as it was, but I finally had my skin clear, for about 4 months. I want to keep it that way.

Edited by Alyssa14

Or why this is happening?

Speculation: like periodontal disease, acne is not caused by bacteria but by the host response to the bacteria. Basically, the immune system overreacts and kills a great many human cells in addition to the bacteria. The specifics of the overreaction are that the anti-oxidant mechanisms designed to mop up the free radical attacks of the immune system are impaired. Certainly there's evidence that anti-oxidant levels are lower in people who suffer from acne. IMHO, that's due to impaired digestion of the nutrients required to drive those anti-oxidant mechanisms (Vitamin B, zinc, tryptophan, etc.)

If all that were true, possibly you are also seeing an immune reaction inside the mouth to bacteria (plenty of bacteria there to choose from) when impaired digestion leads to a dip in the relevant nutrients.

Does anyone else get this?

Not in the highly specific connected way you describe. But I find all inflammatory events are more subdued when acne is in check. For example, I used to suffer greatly from colds and influenza (symptoms more severe and extended than normal people), both diseases where most of the symptoms are caused by the immune system. Since treating my acne as a host-response problem, I rarely get colds (probably still get them, just don't notice any symptoms), and the last time I got influenza it was gone with little pain in about a day instead of lasting for multiple days and bringing great fever and joint pain.

Or why this is happening?

Speculation: like periodontal disease, acne is not caused by bacteria but by the host response to the bacteria. Basically, the immune system overreacts and kills a great many human cells in addition to the bacteria. The specifics of the overreaction are that the anti-oxidant mechanisms designed to mop up the free radical attacks of the immune system are impaired. Certainly there's evidence that anti-oxidant levels are lower in people who suffer from acne. IMHO, that's due to impaired digestion of the nutrients required to drive those anti-oxidant mechanisms (Vitamin B, zinc, tryptophan, etc.)

If all that were true, possibly you are also seeing an immune reaction inside the mouth to bacteria (plenty of bacteria there to choose from) when impaired digestion leads to a dip in the relevant nutrients.

Does anyone else get this?

Not in the highly specific connected way you describe. But I find all inflammatory events are more subdued when acne is in check. For example, I used to suffer greatly from colds and influenza (symptoms more severe and extended than normal people), both diseases where most of the symptoms are caused by the immune system. Since treating my acne as a host-response problem, I rarely get colds (probably still get them, just don't notice any symptoms), and the last time I got influenza it was gone with little pain in about a day instead of lasting for multiple days and bringing great fever and joint pain.

Thank you, this was really helpful. I have a lot of trouble with digestion and always have to run to the bathroom in pain after eating, which has long lead me to believe I'm not digesting my food properly and therefore not absorbing things I might need. I also get sick very easily, if it's raining or humid or the weather changes I get cold symptoms. I talked to my doctor about both of these problems, and once again, he just sort of shrugged it off. That's medicaid for you I guess. Out of curiousity, do you have any suggestions for medications or supplements or anything that might aid in my body's ability to absorb the nutrients in my food better? What kind of medication has helped you with your immune system?