Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TallyCat86

Does birth control work the 2nd time around?

I was on Yaz for almost 3 years and decided to stop taking it in September due to fears of all the deadly side effects, and dangers that I had been hearing about it. I ended up having a mild acne outbreak which has become more moderate over the past month. I've tried some treatments now and in the past and my skin is usually too sensitive to handle anything harsh. My acne has decreased my self esteem tremendously, I cry all the time and can't even look at myself in a mirror. I'm considering going back on Yaz (generic), at this point I feel like the possible dangerous side effects would be worth feeling good about myself again. But does it work the 2nd time around,does it work as well, does it take longer to start working?

Thanks.

I don't know about Yaz, since I haven't personally been on it, but I took the same birth control twice when I was fifteen, then seventeen, and both times I had the same side effects. I wasn't on it for acne, but I'm assuming the same principal can be applied.

Also, with all those deadly side effects, like blood clots/stroke/liver damage and that sort of nasty stuff, usually only happens if there is a family history of those diseases. My doctor specifically told me that when I decided to go on birth control, because I was terrified about all those side effects as well.

I really think that it will work the 2nd time around for you. I went off orthotricyclen, then broke out, ended up going on yasmin then got free samples of yaz for a few months. Then I went off birth control again. After 7 months, I went back on yaz for a month. It really seemed like it was starting to help. But then those darn commercials scared me and I went back off yaz and decided to try some natural treatments. I'm considering whether or not to go back on yaz or spiro. Yes, the yaz did seem to be effective the second time. I can't say that it will work within a few weeks for you or take a few months again, but I do believe it is likely to work.

The thing to keep in mind with yaz is that sue happy lawyers are trying to make some money on anything they can. Those side effects happen rarely. Also, there may be things you can do to minimize potential side effects, like not smoking, healthy lifestyle, etc. For me, the only side effect I've ever noticed on birth control is breakthrough bleeding which I can totally deal with.

I have an appointment to see my family doctor on Monday and I'm due for my period the end of next week. I think I'm going to ask her about going back on Yaz, name brand. I have a lot of fears about the side effects but I feel like the risks are worth improving my quality of life. Right now I don't want to go anywhere or see anyone. I feel like its the only answer I just hope that it does work this time as good as the first and that there's no initial outbreak. Thanks for the advise.