Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BenzoylRetinSpiro

Exfoliating while on benzoyl peroxide/retin-A/clindamycin

****I also posted this in the general acne products section but I wanted to repost it here in case anyone on prescription topical medications has suggestions***

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster but have been lurking on here for a while :redface: About a month ago I started seeing a new dermatologist and started a new regimen to tackle my what appears to be adult, hormonal acne. I take 100 mg of spirolactone a day, ortho-tricylen, use retin-A a few times a week and use benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin each night (unless my skin is a complete dry mess). My skin has become very flaky and dry in some spots. If I use retin-a and the benzoyl/clindamycin each night I get what almost appears to be scales on my chin, etc so I don't use the retin-A each night. I do moisturize regularly and use Cetaphil cleanser. I also use a Clarisonic brush a few times a week.

I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the flaky skin because it makes applying makeup very difficult and just looks gross! I do not want to use any very grainy exfoliators because my skin is very sensitive. I did try the Philosophy Exfoliating Wash for a few days but it did not seem to get rid of all of the flakiness. I also tried the Dermologica daily microfoliant but it also did not get rid of all of the flakiness.

Has anyone found anything particularly helpful? Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

When I was using Differin (retinoid) at night and Duac (BP/antibiotic) in the mornings I had alot of problems with flaking. I started using a muslin wash cloth very gently, once a day. It was very effective in getting rid of the scales and made my skin feel lovely and smooth. I know that alot of people disagree with wash cloths because they can irritate - however, in my case I found that it really helped and was alot gentler than alot of the scrubs/ exfoliants out there. I used it very gently and also changed it every day. I bought a pack of 6 Liz Earle muslins - but I am sure there are other equivalents out there.

I also used a Clarisonic brush for a few weeks but I have had to stop for the time being - I found it much more irritating than the washcloth. How long have you been using yours for?

Thank you for the response!

I only use the Clarisonic every other night or less because when I was using it every night I actually felt like it might have been making my acne worse. Since then I have started using the Retin-A/BP/Clindamycin and while my acne has really cleared up, my flakiness is a lot worse! I might actually give the wash cloth idea a shot! Scrubs really irritate my skin and don't seem to exfoliate that well for me. Thank you for the idea!!

I hope I can start using my Clarisonic again if my skin ever calms down but I, like you felt that maybe it was making things worse. I found that alot of bumps appeared on my forhead when I started using it and I still haven't managed to get rid of them.

A couple of months ago I decided to go natural and gave up make-up, Differin and Duac all at the same time. That was a big mistake - I did not realise that my skin would not take kindly to coming off BP and the retinoid so suddenly. Imagine my horror when my skin suddenly became more congested and unhappy than it had ever been. Be warned - if you do ever decide to come of these things, do it very gradually! I also wish I had given the retinoid more of a chance - I gave up after 3 months because my skin was feeling so sore. I realise now that I should probably just have eased up a bit on my use of these products. My skin was actually becoming quite good. Now I am back to square one and considering Roaccutane!

Regarding the wash cloths - if you run them under hot/warm water and hold them over your face a few times before you wipe, they do a very good job at opening up your pores - it is also very soothing!

I also have a problem with flaking skin. I've found exfoliating with a wash cloth with some jojoba oil on the cloth to be helpful getting rid of flakiness as well as moisturizing the area to prevent dryness. I also use a light moisturizer after doing this.