Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matt f

Eating small meals

Right now, the only acne I have is on my forehead and forehead acne is supposedly linked to digestion. I realised tonight that the problem could be that I don't eat often enough and eat too much when I do eat. My daily meals are:

Breakfast-nothing (Antibiotics)

Lunch(12pm-1pm)-2 Omelettes

Dinner(5pm'ish)-Chicken/Pasta/spaghetti etc.

Snack (8pm'ish)-Bowl of bran flakes.

I have a fast (?) metabolism so I can eat tons without putting on weight ( I am 6'0 and weigh about 11.5 stone). Just now for dinner I had a BIG plate of pasta with some spinach leaves and Brocolli.

For the next week or 2, I am going to try eating more frequently, but smaller amounts each time.

What do you guys think?

Ps. What is a healthy breakfast food?

Edited by matt f

Eating often and little is generally the way to go. As much as is possible dependent on your lifestyle.

"They" say to not eat more than the equivalent of a clenched fist in one sitting.

If it's good enough for David Haye.......

Eating often and little is generally the way to go. As much as is possible dependent on your lifestyle.

"They" say to not eat more than the equivalent of a clenched fist in one sitting.

If it's good enough for David Haye.......

Thanks for your post. I just googled 'david haye diet' and found an article about what he eats. Here is a good quote I found:

'Eating too much uses up a lot of energy. You must reduce the quantity while maximising the nutritional retention.'

When you eat a meal your body uses 70% of its energy into digestion. That's why when you eat too much you feel fatigued. The whole eat little frequent meal thing is a myth, from what I have read and I believe it. I have tried just about every way to diet, to me the best way is to eat 3 medium sized meals a day, and two green smoothies. My diet is also a semi-fast. Everything I eat is within 12-13 hours, and I'll then "fast" for 11-12 hours.

I like that fist serving size, it's something good to go off, for me I say a cup of food. I used to eat like you, only eat 2-3 times a day but as much as I possibly could. In my experience binge eating is the worst type of diet for anything, and definitely acne. Too much food of anything is a dead end road with a large cliff at the end.

I said it in my tips and tricks topic, it's all about moderation. You can train your body to any diet. Once you train your body to the 3 medium sized meals, your body will be completely full with that cup of food. I always suggest more raw food then cooked, but it's all up to the person. Raw food always makes me feel a lot better. More "complete", and the food feels like it is being used accordingly, not just a big pile of gunk sitting in my stomach like how i feel after a cooked meal.

Edit: Oh another thing I want to say is that your body can only use so much nutrients. That's why I laugh at every body builder who tells me the more you eat the bigger you get. That's absurd unless your looking to gain fat. If you makes every meal count, your getting way more nutrients then you need. I would love for a scientist or dietition to exam my diet in a lab and test me. I bet I would be shocking a lot of people. Every meal that gets put into my body is extremely nutrient dense. If something isn't of need to me it doesn't go into me. I exam all micro and macro nutrients, from how much fat/carbs/protein/fiber to vitamins and minerals, I take in the top stuff for every category.

Edited by Thehoper

Thanks for your informative post, Thehoper. :)

I am going to start eating breakfast (albeit a late one). What is a good breakfast food that's low GI? I am thinking Porridge but even that has quite a high GI (like 50 I think).

Edited by matt f

When you eat a meal your body uses 70% of its energy into digestion. That's why when you eat too much you feel fatigued. The whole eat little frequent meal thing is a myth, from what I have read and I believe it. I have tried just about every way to diet, to me the best way is to eat 3 medium sized meals a day, and two green smoothies. My diet is also a semi-fast. Everything I eat is within 12-13 hours, and I'll then "fast" for 11-12 hours.

I like that fist serving size, it's something good to go off, for me I say a cup of food. I used to eat like you, only eat 2-3 times a day but as much as I possibly could. In my experience binge eating is the worst type of diet for anything, and definitely acne. Too much food of anything is a dead end road with a large cliff at the end.

I said it in my tips and tricks topic, it's all about moderation. You can train your body to any diet. Once you train your body to the 3 medium sized meals, your body will be completely full with that cup of food. I always suggest more raw food then cooked, but it's all up to the person. Raw food always makes me feel a lot better. More "complete", and the food feels like it is being used accordingly, not just a big pile of gunk sitting in my stomach like how i feel after a cooked meal.

Edit: Oh another thing I want to say is that your body can only use so much nutrients. That's why I laugh at every body builder who tells me the more you eat the bigger you get. That's absurd unless your looking to gain fat. If you makes every meal count, your getting way more nutrients then you need. I would love for a scientist or dietition to exam my diet in a lab and test me. I bet I would be shocking a lot of people. Every meal that gets put into my body is extremely nutrient dense. If something isn't of need to me it doesn't go into me. I exam all micro and macro nutrients, from how much fat/carbs/protein/fiber to vitamins and minerals, I take in the top stuff for every category.

1) People get tired after eating a big meal has nothing to do with energy usage, it has to do with sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Digestion is controlled by the parasympathetic while alertness and wakefulness are controlled by the sympathetic.

2) The bodybuilders are right. It is almost impossible to gain weight, muscle or fat, on a caloric deficit because most of the food has to go towards energy for all the bodily processes. Building muscle is extra, and the body will not do it until the basic needs are met. Also, as muscle increases, generally the diet must also increase in calories because increasing muscle increases metabolic demand (i.e. more muscle = more calories burned, even when doing nothing like watching TV)

3) And I would disagree with your last statement. Many of the top nutrients are contained solely in animal products. EPA/DHA, K2, retinol (vitamin A), B12 are extremely beneficial to human health and performance are generally confined to animal products (Dha can be had from algae)

I am going to start eating breakfast (albeit a late one). What is a good breakfast food that's low GI? I am thinking Porridge but even that has quite a high GI (like 50 I think).

Sweet potatoes. Coconut pancakes, Eggs. See the pinned Food and Recipe thread. By porridge I assume you mean oats, which is fine with no sugar and maybe some nuts to lower the glycemic impact. You don't need to eat only low GI foods. You need to keep meals low to moderate glycemic load. It's the meal that matters. And the amount. And by meals, i also mean snacks and drinks throughout the day. Don't drink sugar, unless it's along with a low GL meal.

And I wouldn't eat any more often than every 4 hours during the day and try to leave a 12-16 hour fast from the evening meal to breakfast.

And have you tried avoiding wheat/gluten yet?

Edited by alternativista

Ariventa:

1. Ok sounds right but eating meals has to effect the "sympathetic" wouldn't you say because how do we get tired off a big meal? Sounds like they are tied together.

2. Until the basic needs are met? I just said not only do I get every basic need, but I get way more then enough. As to having to have a huge calorie intake to gain muscle, it's not true. I gain muscle as the weeks go eating how I do, but if you want real proof go look vegan body builders on youtube and google.

3. Solely in animal products? EPA/DHA I get way more then enough through my flax, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, then my hemp, sesame, coconut oil and the nuts I eat, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts. K2 is very high in almost all green veggies. Highest being kale, chollards, brussel sprouts, mustard greens, broccoli, asparagus, the list goes on and on and I eat them all. Lastly vitamin A? One cup of Kale has 338% Vitamin A daily value. I eat about 10x that, yeah I rest my case.

And I wouldn't eat any more often than every 4 hours during the day and try to leave a 12-16 hour fast from the evening meal to breakfast.

And have you tried avoiding wheat/gluten yet?

Today I ate porridge at 10:30am'ish, ate lunch at 1:30pm and dinner at 5:30pm. The porridge helped enormously; I did not feel as hungry as I normally do during the day. I am a student so I'm fortunate enough to be able to eat pretty much when I want.

I haven't tried cutting out specific types of food simply because I don't think I have that type of acne (it would be more severe, right?). Right now I am not eating much wheat/gluten anyway...apart from Bran flakes at night that's about it.

Edited by matt f

Guest Timehealsall

matt, what is the severity of your acne?

Ariventa:

1. Ok sounds right but eating meals has to effect the "sympathetic" wouldn't you say because how do we get tired off a big meal? Sounds like they are tied together.

2. Until the basic needs are met? I just said not only do I get every basic need, but I get way more then enough. As to having to have a huge calorie intake to gain muscle, it's not true. I gain muscle as the weeks go eating how I do, but if you want real proof go look vegan body builders on youtube and google.

3. Solely in animal products? EPA/DHA I get way more then enough through my flax, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, then my hemp, sesame, coconut oil and the nuts I eat, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts. K2 is very high in almost all green veggies. Highest being kale, chollards, brussel sprouts, mustard greens, broccoli, asparagus, the list goes on and on and I eat them all. Lastly vitamin A? One cup of Kale has 338% Vitamin A daily value. I eat about 10x that, yeah I rest my case.

Omega 3 fatty acids in flax seed are found in the form of Alpha-Linoleic Acid (ALA). ALA has to be converted by the body into a usable form, and the process of conversion is poor, somewhere in the range of 5-15%[1][2]

Eating fatty fish or supplementing with Fish Oil is the better way in getting omega 3s, as the omega 3s are in the form of EPA and DHA which are what the body tends to use for many of the benefits associated with fish oil.

As per vegan bodybuilders, yeah sure they can still build up the muscle. They'll still ultimately suffer in the end without animal products like eggs, meat, kefir/yogurt. Your comment about bodybuilder's being incorrect on eating more is a joke. You clearly know little about the human body. Sometimes I eat a single meal a day with ~3500 calories. Doesn't give me acne, it gets digested properly, I don't feel bloated or like shit.

It also sounds like you're getting way too much Vitamin A. Potential toxic levels. So when you talk about how your body can only absorb so many nutrients, you're really contradicting yourself pretty badly here.

Edited by Phresh