Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster but have been lurking on here for a while :redface: About a month ago I started seeing a new dermatologist and started a new regimen to tackle my what appears to be adult, hormonal acne. I take 100 mg of spirolactone a day, ortho-tricylen, use retin-A a few times a week and use benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin each night (unless my skin is a complete dry mess). My skin has become very flaky and dry in some spots. If I use retin-a and the benzoyl/clindamycin each night I get what almost appears to be scales on my chin, etc so I don't use the retin-A each night. I do moisturize regularly and use Cetaphil cleanser. I also use a Clarisonic brush a few times a week.

I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the flaky skin because it makes applying makeup very difficult and just looks gross! I do not want to use any very grainy exfoliators because my skin is very sensitive. I did try the Philosophy Exfoliating Wash for a few days but it did not seem to get rid of all of the flakiness. I also tried the Dermologica daily microfoliant but it also did not get rid of all of the flakiness.

Has anyone found anything particularly helpful? Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Best thing is to avoid harsh products, anything with chemicals or alcohol will just irritate/dry the skin more.

My skin was very dry a while ago and i tried OCM and sugar to exfoliate it, i only did this a couple of time, not sure if it helped much as my skin was still abit flaky but less dry. I'm now trying out the Pai natural organic cleanser and moisturiser using a organic muslin face cloth (suppose to help exfoliate the skin) it doesn't dry up my skin and i can feel my skin alot softer and smother. Maybe you could try the natural approach on olive oil + sugar (some people use honey+sugar) to exfoliate, and use a natural organic moisturiser (no chemicals). Make sure not to scrub so hard on the face as it could make it worse.

Edited by svlady

I've heard really good reviews for Cure Natural Aqua Gel. I'm not a fan of the exfoliators that have little particles in them either, the rougher ones don't feel good to my skin and the bead-like ones I can't convince myself are doing anything. :P

Cure Natural Aqua Gel was too expensive for me to just try (freaking like....$40 on ebay) but I tried a product from a different company that's supposed to be comparable, it's called Missha Super Aqua Detoxifying Peeling Gel. I love it. I'm on Retin-a Micro also so I get the little flakies too. I use this once or twice a week and make sure to moisturize well afterwards, and it works wonderfully for me and leaves my skin really smooth.

Consistency is smooth, doesn't look to have any particles in it. You apply it on dry skin and massage reeeally gently and it forms these little balls or beads which are apparently your dead skin :wacko: Truth be told I was a little skeptical and I still suspect that some of it might just be the gel itself, but I see a HUGE difference in stuff that comes off between one side of my face and the other (because for some reason, one side of my face is flakier than the other).

Anyways, I'm definitely a fan of this type of peeling gel, there's a few good ones out there if you're interested, it isn't hard to find them through googling them. I don't think it breaks me out but I've seen some people say it does, so it might be worth seeing if you can find samples to try before buying.

i know this might seem rather odd but i apply natural vitamin e oil to my face (d alpha tocopheryl acetate NOT dl alpha tocopheryl acetate..make sure ther's NO "l" after the "d") with a cottonball and i gently rub it in. i go to sleep with it on and in the morning my face is nice and hydrated :)

I am on the regimen right now and love it. Although my skin too is like a scaly type dry, that is very strange. I was using Dan's moisturizer and jojoba oil which seemed almost to sit on top of my skin. After reading some posts on here, the last few days what I have done is- Wash my face, rinse, dry. Put on jojoba oil and rub it in a bit and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Rinse it off (it doesn't fully rinse off, but if I leave it on my skin without rinsing the majority of it off it sits on top of it and feels disgusting all day long). Then use the benzoyl peroxide, and then use the moisturizer (morning, at night I use his AHA which works great for the scalies and dryness). I am finding this is working better than anything else, Hope this helps!

Carolee D

During my Accutane course when I was severely dry, I drenched my face in olive oil on some days, piled on Vaseline the other days. Kept my skin smooth and soft!

I'm sure I put two posts on this thread - did they get removed? I don't think I said anything that strange. Can anyone tell me why this might have happened??

Retin-a and BP are very drying, I suggest you use a mild face wash with retina-a and as some people already pointed out, you must moisturize when using retin-a. The flakiness is just a phase i think and your skin will retain it's natural moisture with time.

Thanks Bonbonique, I am going to stick with it and hopefully between getting adjusted to the topicals and nicer weather outside, the flakiness will go away :cool:

Roisin75, it's because I posted my initial comment in two locations on the forum. I wasn't sure where it fit best. Sorry for making things confusing!

hey i hope you dont mind me asking but hows the retin a working for you? do you think its better using it a few times a weeks. also did you get a purge?

Kamran,

Really sorry for my delayed response! You are probably way past the point of wondering this but I definitely got a "purge" when I first started using Retin a. At first I was so bummed because it seemed to be making not only my breakouts worse but also my skin texture. Now four months after that I can say confidently that my skin texture is quite possibly better than it has been since I was a child! I gradually increased the Retin a until I was using it every night. Now it doesn't irritate my skin at all (which seems crazy since my skin is very sensitive).