Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chinadoll15

welcome to my life, accutane

today is my first day of accutane. i'm taking 20mg a day with 10mg day and night.

my skin at the moment is pretty clear with a few fading blemishes. i've been on spironolactone and minocylcine for the past two years and i'm tired of my acne coming back every time i stop it. i'm ready for a permanent solution! i don't get a lot of small pimples everywhere, but when i do breakout i get huge cysts that are impossible to hide. i'm really hoping this will work!

the only thing is that i'm living in shanghai now and i'm using a chinese generic brand of isotretinoin. the medical standards in china are not up to par with the states and i'm worried my medicine isn't FDA approved. wish me luck! :cool:

Hi there,

There is no iPledge in China, but I'm going to be really careful about pregnancy. Also my medicine has no brand name it just says Isotretinoin Soft Capsules with some Chinese on it.

My dermatologist basically handed me the medicine and I had to request a blood test for my liver. They didn't even ask me to do it. I don't think there are strict standards in China for accutane (it's hard to file lawsuits here), but I'm going to ask for regular blood tests myself.

thanks

Day 5 of accutane

My skin was clear on day 1 and now it's getting red with some whiteheads on my t-zone. i can feel the initial breakout coming! I'm just hoping it won't be too bad.

I'm also taking 0.5g of Tindazole capsules, which my dermatologist told me to take in the beginning. I haven't heard of anyone else taking this, but I'm also in China. It's used to fight bacterial infections.

Does anyone have suggestions on taking medicine at the beginning of accutane to avoid the IB?

Avoiding alcohol is going to be a challenge because I live in a building for young international expats. We go out every weekend (the nightlife in shanghai is amazing), but i'm trying to go through a lifestyle change for accutane.

Day 5 of accutane

My skin was clear on day 1 and now it's getting red with some whiteheads on my t-zone. i can feel the initial breakout coming! I'm just hoping it won't be too bad.

I'm also taking 0.5g of Tindazole capsules, which my dermatologist told me to take in the beginning. I haven't heard of anyone else taking this, but I'm also in China. It's used to fight bacterial infections.

Does anyone have suggestions on taking medicine at the beginning of accutane to avoid the IB?

Avoiding alcohol is going to be a challenge because I live in a building for young international expats. We go out every weekend (the nightlife in shanghai is amazing), but i'm trying to go through a lifestyle change for accutane.

Yeah I would get regular blood tests and ask for a copy of the results too. The blood values you need assessed are here.

The IB can only really be reduced by prescription meds, and usually prednisolone or the antibiotic erythromycin is used. But your derm must've prescribed Tinidazole for a reason.

Good luck.

Day 20

It's been 20 days (total 540mg so far) and I haven't gotten an IB to speak of. I've been getting whiteheads regularly but they usually disappear after one or two days. I only had one large pimple that popped and scarred but nothing out of the regular.

i'm also on prescription antibiotics to help with the IB so maybe that's why. i went to get a refill again but in china you don't see the same doctor every time. you just line up and see whatever doctor they gave you which worries me cause i should be monitored.

after my 30th day of accutane, i'm going to get a liver test.

i'm on 50 mg now and my lips are peeling and i also have some eczema on my hands. i had it as a child and with some lotion its better now. my skin is also ridiculously itchy but its a bummer they don't sell aveeno or aquaphor here.

BTW i'm 5"4 and 125 pounds. Thanks for all your advice!

Edited by chinadoll15

Day 27,

I went to the doctor and I'm going to be bumped up to 60mg a day now. My skin is flaky dry and my hair is flaking too. I've never had dandruff before so thank you accutane.

It's been almost a month and I haven't had a bad IB yet, keeping my fingers cross. I've had two big noticeable pimples since I've started and they went away faster than usually. I felt a cyst coming on my nose and I used a warm tea bag to compress it every night. It went away very fast.

I'm having trouble buying vitamins in China because there are no health regulations on anything. I think i'm going to get some sent from the states.

Day 27,

I went to the doctor and I'm going to be bumped up to 60mg a day now. My skin is flaky dry and my hair is flaking too. I've never had dandruff before so thank you accutane.

It's been almost a month and I haven't had a bad IB yet, keeping my fingers cross. I've had two big noticeable pimples since I've started and they went away faster than usually. I felt a cyst coming on my nose and I used a warm tea bag to compress it every night. It went away very fast.

I'm having trouble buying vitamins in China because there are no health regulations on anything. I think i'm going to get some sent from the states.

1 month and 7 days.

I don't have an initial breakout to speak of (horray for now!), but my nose is covered in blackheads. so many blackheads that it feels like sandpaper when i touch my nose. gross right? although i read that they're going to purge themselves soon.

i took a 3 day break, one cause it was a birthday party of a friend and i had some drinks and two more because i couldn't get the prescription filled on time. hope it has no effect!

good luck to all,

mags

I month and 14 days

My skin has been pretty clear lately. I haven't had a pimple for two weeks (knock on wood), but I do see blackheads resurfacing all over my skin. I've read from other posts that it will go away on its own. Has anyone noticed how you can stay clean for so much longer? I don't want to gross anyone out, but I don't need to wash my hair or take showers as often. I also started taking really fast showers because my skin and scalp was becoming overly dry.

I added some vitamins to my regime. I'm taking Milk Thistle (i'm normally quite a heavy drinker so my liver needs all the help it can get) and Flaxseed Oil. I also have some zinc, but I'm taking other medications so I don't want to take that many pills in one day.

so far I've been happy with accutane and i hope to dear god that nothing will change.

Edited by chinadoll15

i would say most important is to keep sun exposure at minimum, i have been to shanghai in the summer and the heat and sun exposure can be brutal. but umbrellas are fashionable there so that is a plus. glad to hear that it is working out for you, and keep up those blood tests.

i would say most important is to keep sun exposure at minimum, i have been to shanghai in the summer and the heat and sun exposure can be brutal. but umbrellas are fashionable there so that is a plus. glad to hear that it is working out for you, and keep up those blood tests.

Hi Malich,

Shanghai summers are pretty intense, but I've noticed that it's much harder to get a tan or sunburn probably because of all the pollution in the air. I am happy that I won't look like a total goof carrying around an umbrella since all the ladies are doing it. i think one of the reasons Chinese women look so young when they get older is their fear of the sun. While all the western ladies spend every summer tanning, our chinese counterparts are slathering sunblock and hiding under umbrellas.

thanks for your comment and good luck

1 month and 18 days

I skipped a dose of accutane this weekend, but I dont' think it should be a problem? I've been getting rashes since I've started accutane and this time is worse than the others. There are red spots and rashes all over my legs and hands. I've been putting hydrocortisone on them, but they're still really red and itchy.

does anyone else have this problem? maybe i should ask my doctor for a lower dose. it's been really annoying because it's about 90 degrees or higher everyday and long pants are not really an option.

chinadoll15: hah! Im asian and i live in a country that is summer all year round. I carry my umbrella with me EVERYWHERE and i have no shame in that! haha.. it doesnt matter if i look goofy or what.. heck! i dont care. I need to protect my skin as accutane make my skin vulnerable to sun..

make sure u put on your sunblock and good luck with tane =)

A week from 3 months,

my skin has been almost perfect lately. i really love it since its getting so hot in the summer and i go out without makeup. all the bumpy blackheads on my nose disappeared but the thing that bothers me most is that my legs still have rashes on them. super itchy ones. there's also a lot of mosquitoes around here so that doesn't help.

does anyone have any suggestions?

my face has been clear since the first month i think i'm just going to finish my fourth month and be over with it.