Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,

I'm a 20 year old female from Canada. I've had acne since I was about 12 or 13,

I tried all the drugstore cleansers, all of which were unsuccessful.

When I was 15 I got prescribed Diane 35, topical Clindamycin, and Minocycline. My skin was AMAZING after a few months of treatment.

after about a year and a half my doctor wanted me off Diane 35 (due to the harsh potential side effects), so I was switched to Yasmin (didn't work), then Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (didn't work), and then to Yaz (which seemed to work)..

At this point I think my body was basically completely immune to the Minocycline (at least that's what I think), and it probably didn't help switching the hormone therapy around. So once again my skin seemed to be healing (possibly from the Yaz?) and that kept up for about 1 year. After that, my skin got completely inflamed again, horrible blackheads, lots of inflamed zits, lots of under the skin zits, clogged pores, and also milia.. I had tried topically (at different times, of course, and for at least 3 months each): Salycilic Acid, Benzol Peroxide, Benzaclin, Differin, and of course, the Clindamycin. NONE worked.

I had then got prescribed Erythromycin. I took it for approx 3 months, and my skin just seemed to get worse and worse. I was expecting an initial breakout period, but I think after 3 months I should have seen some improvment. My doctor agreed and switchd me to Tetracycline.

I had a bad feeling about Tetracycline because of the fact that my body had grown an imunity to Minocycline, but I'm at the point where I'm basically desparate for something to work so I'm giving it a try. I am also currently back to Diana 35. I have been taking these both for about 1 month exactly and my skin seems to be pretty much exactly the same.. I was also prescribed Retin A topical treatment, but I'm too scared to try it because in the past it gave me a severe burn...

Should I be seeing a change by now?

What else can I try?

I do NOT want to take accutane. I'm strongly against it.

Help :( it's been almost ten years I can't stand this anymore :(.

ps. the Tetracycline makes me nauseous ALL THE TIME, I've tried to stop eating sugar and wheat etc and it seems to be helping a little bit...

Edited by Freaky-Tiki

Hey,

Did you try Burt Bee's acne face wash with salicylic acid. My skin was almost like your and very sensitive, nothing at all seemed to work.

But 4 months back i started using burt bee's anti acne products and my acne condition is very better. It took a month and a half for me to see results and now my acne is 90% under control. The salicylic acid dries them up without over drying my skin and I also use the anti acne moisturizing cream.

Try and even if you dont see results for first 2 months dont stop using it, since SA is a slow acid and will take time to renew ur skin :)

I used to wash my face twice once in the morning and once just before sleeping and also used their toner in the evening to clean the little makeup that i use sometimes and the dirt.

Its really effective. try it out !

Hope it works for you

Take care :angel:

Hey,

I'm a 20 year old female from Canada. I've had acne since I was about 12 or 13,

I tried all the drugstore cleansers, all of which were unsuccessful.

When I was 15 I got prescribed Diane 35, topical Clindamycin, and Minocycline. My skin was AMAZING after a few months of treatment.

after about a year and a half my doctor wanted me off Diane 35 (due to the harsh potential side effects), so I was switched to Yasmin (didn't work), then Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (didn't work), and then to Yaz (which seemed to work)..

At this point I think my body was basically completely immune to the Minocycline (at least that's what I think), and it probably didn't help switching the hormone therapy around. So once again my skin seemed to be healing (possibly from the Yaz?) and that kept up for about 1 year. After that, my skin got completely inflamed again, horrible blackheads, lots of inflamed zits, lots of under the skin zits, clogged pores, and also milia.. I had tried topically (at different times, of course, and for at least 3 months each): Salycilic Acid, Benzol Peroxide, Benzaclin, Differin, and of course, the Clindamycin. NONE worked.

I had then got prescribed Erythromycin. I took it for approx 3 months, and my skin just seemed to get worse and worse. I was expecting an initial breakout period, but I think after 3 months I should have seen some improvment. My doctor agreed and switchd me to Tetracycline.

I had a bad feeling about Tetracycline because of the fact that my body had grown an imunity to Minocycline, but I'm at the point where I'm basically desparate for something to work so I'm giving it a try. I am also currently back to Diana 35. I have been taking these both for about 1 month exactly and my skin seems to be pretty much exactly the same.. I was also prescribed Retin A topical treatment, but I'm too scared to try it because in the past it gave me a severe burn...

Should I be seeing a change by now?

What else can I try?

I do NOT want to take accutane. I'm strongly against it.

Help :( it's been almost ten years I can't stand this anymore :(.

ps. the Tetracycline makes me nauseous ALL THE TIME, I've tried to stop eating sugar and wheat etc and it seems to be helping a little bit...

So the topicals that you've tried don't work. Doesn't it make sense to try something stronger?

See a dermatologist, not a general doctor.

I stoungly suggest accutane. I was against it at first but did some more research on the medication. There's a lot of bogs on this site about people day by day, week by week, on accutane. In the end 99% of people will end up clear. ANy of the side affexts which is mainly dry skin/lips and a mildly sore back in my opinion is worth clear skin and this will happen in only 3 month but I'm staying on it for 6 months to make sure the acne will never come back!!

I'm on accutame now but only on the 7th day

Lots O Luck!

i just finished accutane and its the best thing ever! not ONE pimple, blackhead etc. i only have to battle scarring now.

BTW Have you tried Obagi? i used it and it worked for me really good.

But it semms as any other topical. if you arent rid of the cause of acne it will return sooner or later

So the topicals that you've tried don't work. Doesn't it make sense to try something stronger?

well of course... I HAVE tried many many strong things. such as retin a etc, and i've also seen a dermatologist several times

well of course... I HAVE tried many many strong things. such as retin a etc, and i've also seen a dermatologist several times

Your dermatologist should have a list of all topicals/medications available. It would look something like this:

(increasing potency going down)

BP

Duac

Differin

Vetrin

Retin-A

Tazorac

Accutane

If BP does not work, you move down to the next topical/medication. If the next does not work, then you move down below it. You keep moving down until something has worked. You reach the bottom (Accutane) when none of the topicals/medications above it has worked.

If your dermatologist is not moving you down the list, then I suggest seeking a new dermatologist.