Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I've been on Accutane for 2 months now and was wondering if it is absolutely necesarry to go for blood tests every month. It is getting incredibly expensive?

It's better to be safe than sorry so I would say yes it is necessary, perhaps unless you have a copy of your latest blood test results and can post them here for us to assess.

Edited by jimmy188

Don't bother posting your results here as none of us are doctors. Talk to your doctor about your lab results and the need for continuing labs.

Unfortunately I do not a copy of my latest tests, it gets sent directly to my Dermatologist. I do know that I get checked for Liver function, Cholesterol and 2 other things (really can't remember).

I do see the point of the tests, but every month as opposed to every 2 months is where I start to question.

notable concerns: My first tests indicated High cholesterol (family history), which was fine in the second test due to diet.

Second test indicated slightly bad liver results.

Unfortunately I do not a copy of my latest tests, it gets sent directly to my Dermatologist. I do know that I get checked for Liver function, Cholesterol and 2 other things (really can't remember).

I do see the point of the tests, but every month as opposed to every 2 months is where I start to question.

notable concerns: My first tests indicated High cholesterol (family history), which was fine in the second test due to diet.

Second test indicated slightly bad liver results.

Then definitely continue with the regular monthly blood tests. Depending on the country, Derms usually only ever consider abandoning regular tests if the initial one comes out well within normal limits for all parameters tested.

Also don't drink; this might rise the liver values above normal limits, forcing your derm to stop your treatment.

Good luck.

Edited by jimmy188