Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lovellism

New Birth Control Log

Hello all. I plan to keep this log for the next couple of months to track my progress. I currently have mild to moderate acne. I get the occasional cyst, put mostly suffer from papules and pustules. I am taking Levora birth control right now, but it isn't working out for me. About a year and a half ago I switched from Yaz to Levora due to heart problems and leg pains. I was very upset about the change since my face was absolutely clear on Yaz. Since being on Levora may face has gotten a lot worse and I have developed acne on my back, something that hasn't been a problem for me since middle school (I am now 22).

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss changing my birth control. After doing some research I have discovered that Levora is highly androgenic and is probably the cause of my acne as well as other unwanted side effects. I think I'm going to ask my doctor about Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen, and Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo since I cannot take Yaz or Yasmin. I will update tomorrow once I receive my new prescription. I am very apprehensive about changing my pills since objectively my face isn't that bad and I would hate to make it even worse.

My current skin care regimen includes:

AM

• Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser
  • Mario Badescu Aloe Vera Toner
  • Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Corrector
  • Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer or DDF Ultra Lite Moisturizing Dew

PM

• Aveeno Positively Radiant Face Pads
  • Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Scrub
  • Mario Badescu Aloe Vera Toner
  • Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Corrector
  • Clindamycin
  • 2.5% or 5% BP when needed
  • Differin Gel
Edited by Lovellism

So I chickened out and canceled my appointment this morning. I'm going to try wearing less makeup, eating healthier, and getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night for the next month or so to see if my face improves. I noticed that my face started breaking out last quarter which was the most stressful quarter of my life (internship applications/interviews, sleep deprivation, dehydration, etc.). I also started wearing foundation daily around that time.

So my new plan: drink at least 2 liters of water a day, get no less than 7 hours of sleep, no foundation, eat fruits and vegetables daily, and exercise. I'm going to see if this helps since I only have 3 active spots on my face right now and no cysts. I would hate to switch birth control pills and have a horrible breakout. Hopefully these healthy changes will help. I'm sticking with Levora for the month April/beginning of May. I still plan to track my progress here and may update with photos later today.

I went today without foundation and was appalled by how bad my skin looked. I have rescheduled my doctors appointment for Monday to discus changing my pill.

Edited by Lovellism

So I went to the doctor on Friday due to an ear infection and ended up asking for a new birth control. She prescribed tri-sprintec to me. I have been reading a lot about it on the internet and I am absolutely terrified to start it. There are so many bad reviews! I know people who experienced bad effects are a whole lot more likely to write a review than those with good though. I was considering calling my doctor and asking for brand name, but I would pay over $100 for 3 months whereas with tri-sprintec it is only $10 for 3 months. I have taken many other generic medications without a problem, so hopefully I'll be ok.

I am currently taking the sugar pills in my last pack of Levora. I'll start my tri-sprintec on Saturday. I will also be picking up a refill of doxycylcine soon, so hopefully that will help prevent an initial breakout. I only have 2 active pimples on my forehead right now. Hopefully my face will stay clear.

Edited by Lovellism

I'm on day 5 of tri-sprintec. So far my skin is looking pretty good. I only have one active nodule on my chin, but it has been there for over a week. My skin tone is looking a lot less splotchy and my face is a little less oily. I haven't had any horrific side effects that I read about online. No nausea, vomiting, or 5 pound weight gain in 3 days. I'm a little scared to start the higher dose pills next week, but so far everything is going well!

Day 6, skin is still the same. This stupid cyst/nodule on my chin isn't budging. It feels so deep, like a tumor. It has been over a week and it still hasn't come to a head. Other than that, my skin is pretty good.

I have also stopped using liquid foundation and I think that has really been helping my skin. I'm now using bare minerals matte and concealer on any spots.

Day 9. Everything is still going well. I took my second middle dose pill today. Still no side effects or new break outs. I was finally able to pop the cyst on my chin (it had 2 heads!). It is still a little swollen/inflamed, but at least it looks like a regular zit now and not a tumor. I'm happy so far with my results, but I know its still to early to tell. The real test will be in a few weeks when my period comes around.

Day 15. I have no active pimples on my face! I started my third week of pills today and I'm hoping my skin will stay like this. My skin has also been really drying out a lot. I'm not sure if I should attribute it to the bc or the fact that I stopped using the Clinique even better skin tone corrector. My skin actually looks more even and brighter since I've stopped using it and I have less clogged pores around my cheeks and chin which were the areas where I applied it most.

I'm hoping Tri-Sprintec will work out for me. Last week I only averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night and was under a lot of stress because I had midterm exams and I didn't get a single pimple which is unheard of for me.

Day 19. I only have 2 more active pills left in my package for this month. My skin is looking really good still. I got small spot on my chin yesterday. It looked like a clogged pore with a whitehead on it. If I wasn't on the tri-sprintec I'm pretty sure it would've developed into a cyst since I always break out on my chin the week before my period. Hopefully I can make it through next week without a major break out.