Notifications
Clear all

My journey with Saw Palmetto.

MemberMember
(@zebriel)

Posted : 04/05/2011 7:23 pm

Hi, I'm Alex. This is my journey with saw palmetto. I started posting this story over on another topic called "any1 on saw palmetto" but as last poster on quite a long thread, I don't think it was getting the kind of attention it deserved as I have been faithfully updating so far and I'm getting results on this herb so it needs to be documented. This post is purely my last two updates pasted over, I will be back this weekend or the next (as promised in my last post) with another update. I'm actually really excited about the results I'm getting.. but not to give anything away before the next episode of Alex goes bananas on Saw Palmetto.. :P

Just on a little side note, I'm aware I'm taking a very high dosage, I will be finishing this bottle and considering toning it down a little on the next one I buy. It's all about the money though and since this bottle was the cheapest I may just get it again. If there is anyone who experienced drastic and terrible side effects from using too much of this stuff, I would LOVE to hear about you, because I do care what happens to my body even though I do tend to sometimes think of myself as a guinea pig.

((((((((((Start of post one)))))))))))))))

Hi, I am a 21 year old female, I started yesterday on Saw Palmetto 3200 mg, standardized to contain fatty acids 288mg. Brand: Cenovis. I got it for just $10 AUD at The discount chemist warehouse. It wasn't on their recommendation, I just went in there and bought it.

_start of unrelated rant_

I used to skip my monthly cycle a LOT with the pill (combination, Diane 35 ED, brenda, Estelle), and it really worked for me. My doctor kept on telling me that I should take a break every 3 months, but wouldn't tell me why it was bad not to. I got sick of trying to get an answer and just went on the implant instead, as I was actually using it as a contraception anyway.

BUT of course my acne came back. I didn't experience any increase of acne beyond what is natural when I go off the pill, some women on the implant get terrible side effects like a lot of acne, weight gain, bleeding... just terrible. If you're looking to get the implant (just on a little side note), don't be looking up stuff on forums about it as it's all very scary. The only reason these women are online posting is because they had problems. The ones who didn't don't have a reason to ask questions online about their treatment. Those complaining online are among only about 10% of those who get implanon, says my doctor. Just give it a try, I even heard that some 60% of women who experience acne prior to getting the implant actually clear up a little after they get it. I don't know how accurate that is by the way. Anyway the thing is, when it plays up, you can just get the doc to take it out and that's it, the bad symptoms stop.

_end of unrelated rant_

Anyway so basically what I'm saying is that my acne must be hormonal as the pill worked very effectively. I have extremely greasy skin, I use blotting paper (which isn't available in my city in Queensland, Australia, so I get it on Ebay), I don't know that it helps my acne, but it does help my makeup hang on a little longer.

So I came to the conclusion that I must have high testosterone and went to my doc to get that tested. It came back actually a little lower than average, and I was flabbergasted.

So at the moment I'm testing the theory that maybe my testosterone is just a little bit high for me.

I first found out about Saw Palmetto when I was googling other symptoms I experience naturally, and found that I may have been displaying mild PCOS. As I know from my test results for doctor, this is not the case, but this thread is very interesting-

all I had heard about the herb is that is lowers Testosterone. But now I know that it inhibits the production of a certain kind of Testosterone, so maybe I'm just making too much of that, but not too much testosterone overall?

Very interesting! So I bought this stuff and I'm just taking one a day with breakfast and i'll see what happens. If anything weird (or anything at all, even positive) happens, I will be straight off to the Doc's office so please don't think I am going outside his wishes, it's just he's a doctor, so he can't help being close-minded about herbs. I've never met one who wasn't at least a bit overly orthodox and difficult to get real info out of. Maybe he's scared I'll sue him if I take his advice wrongly or maybe he doesn't think I'm smart enough to understand, or maybe he just couldn't be stuffed. I dunno.. it's ok I got used to that at least a year ago. eusa_boohoo.gif

I'll be back with my review after taking the full bottle, thats 30 capsules. This is day two.

Have a good one!

(((((((((((((((((((start of post two))))))))))))))))))))

Hey guys Zebriel here, just posting an update on day 9 of my Saw Palmetto program.

I should note firstly that for a couple of weeks prior to the date of starting this thing, i was quite hormonal. It was obvious to me because of my zits and the people around me because of my highly shitty mood. Yes, I have seen some results this week! But I may just be bouncing back from the hormonal low so I'm not reading anything into it yet.

Observations:

Shoulders: almost completely cleared up, aside from remaining tiny blackheads.

chest: (yes, chest, ugh, I hate it) I have had some new arrivals, however they are notably smaller than usual. Older infections that appeared before start date are taking just as agonizingly long to heal as they normally do, but nothing like them is replacing them.

Face: Blackhead population absolutely unaffected as yet. The oiliness seems to be just as bad as before, but strangely no new arrivals along the jawline or on the cheeks, and only small, short lived ones on the nose and forehead.

Back: New arrivals are slightly smaller, but just as numerous.

It's happy snap time!! Oh how I wish I had taken some pics before I started on this herb. Now the world will never quite see just how good the results are. Anyway, here I am at the end of week one. This is the first time I have deliberately posted unflattering images of myself online. It feels a bit dirty. lolz..

P4030207.jpg

P4030208.jpg

P4030209.jpg

P4030212.jpg

(((((((((((((((end, I'll be back!))))))))))))))

MemberMember
(@zebriel)

Posted : 04/05/2011 7:27 pm

ugh can somebody tell me if they are seeing the images? I have tried quite a few methods of embedding, but none of them are working. Helpies?

MemberMember
(@freaknpink)

Posted : 04/05/2011 8:11 pm

ugh can somebody tell me if they are seeing the images? I have tried quite a few methods of embedding, but none of them are working. Helpies?

Pics not showing up dude...

I think my acne is hormonal also and I have implanon...seems it was better on reg b/c..I've been thinking about having it removed to see if it makes a difference..I never had this many cysts before I had it put in...

I'm only taking 580mg of saw palmetto daily...your post makes me think I should maybe up it..

I'm also only 5 days in..so nothing to tell yet, but Ill keep you posted

Gonna follow this thread

I wish you luck! :D

p.s. I just copied your image url's and removed the tags to see them..think something went wrong w/ the tags

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 04/06/2011 11:17 am

As freakNpink says, If the links in your post are copied & pasted into the address bar without the tags, then they can be seen.

If you just type or copy & paste the URL into your post without using any tags at all, it will be clickable. If you use "insert link", it will make your links clickable, and you can give them a name.

You can also attach images to your post if you want, using the Attachments box under the text box.

MemberMember
(@zebriel)

Posted : 04/07/2011 6:18 am

I tried using the insert image button, with two different urls provided by photobucket (two for each photo that is.) I also tried just posting html straight from photobucket, and also tried img tags as provided by photobucket instead of insert image. That's four things I tried and none of them worked... seriously I don't normally stuff this kind of thing up but that's what happened. I can't be bothered trying them all again tonight but maybe later in the week. It's pretty frustrating tho.. :/

I should also note that my acne has flared up like a motherfucker today. I am also majorly pissed off at everyone and everything this evening so maybe it's hormones agaaaaiiiinnnnuhhhh

I seriously was getting results, I haven't seen my skin that clear in yonks. I dunno what's up. If it keeps up that's the end of this thread, or at least when I reach the end of the bottle yea I've lost track of where this sentence is going.

Good night.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 04/07/2011 8:19 am

QUOTE (zebriel @ Apr 7 2011, 12:18 PM)

I tried using the insert image button, with two different urls provided by photobucket (two for each photo that is.) I also tried just posting html straight from photobucket, and also tried img tags as provided by photobucket instead of insert image. That's four things I tried and none of them worked... seriously I don't normally stuff this kind of thing up but that's what happened. I can't be bothered trying them all again tonight but maybe later in the week. It's pretty frustrating tho.. :/

I should also note that my acne has flared up like a motherfucker today. I am also majorly pissed off at everyone and everything this evening so maybe it's hormones agaaaaiiiinnnnuhhhh

I seriously was getting results, I haven't seen my skin that clear in yonks. I dunno what's up. If it keeps up that's the end of this thread, or at least when I reach the end of the bottle yea I've lost track of where this sentence is going.

Good night.

If you edit your post to remove the & from around your links, then they will become clickable (much easier than copying & pasting the URL in your posts & then pasting them into a new window).

Or, if you use the insert link tag you can name them Picture 1

Sorry to hear about your setback. Whatever regimen you follow, there always seems to be ups & downs before finally getting clear. Give it a good 12 weeks before deciding whether it's right for you.

If you decide to try something different, I had good results with my chest acne using Dan's BP. I know it's not diet/holistic, but it worked for me.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 04/07/2011 8:24 am

btw...I will delete the links in my post once you have seen them.

Also, do you realise that linking to photobucket allows anyone to look at all your gallery photos?

MemberMember
(@fantaziasskin)

Posted : 07/20/2014 1:51 pm

I hope someone gets this post and gives an honest reply. I should have went to the dr, and am somewhat nervous about saw palmetto, have been taking for 3 days. I am 23 year old female suffered with cystic acne for 4 years. I have been to the dermatologist had shots of cortisone, done epiduo for months, tried natural oil cleansing, tried being gentle, drinking water

CURRENTLY

taking vitamin A, E and borage oil and night, and then 160MG SAW PALMETTO twice, (am and pm)

I am seeing a lot on the internet about sp, not safe for women-leads to water retention and such.

so far I am already seeing my skin clearing but will this do further damage? My cysts are drying out....i am hoping I can continue this regemin...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!