Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So i went to the derm today about laser treatments. They said microdermabrasion will do wonders on my type of scarring. They said i will need 3 to 5 treatments to get the best results.. I just want to know if microdermabrasion help anyone else with there scarring? Please let me know and help ):

What type of scarring do you have?

Do you have actual atrophic scars, or just discolored acne spots? Discolored acne spots are not scars, and will go away on their own eventually, microdermabrasion can help this process.

For actual atrophic scars, microdermabrasion is a waste of money, it won't do anything for those.

I'm guessing if your doctor suggest microdermabrasion, then you probably don't have actual atrophic acne scars.

ihjhhhh

So i went to the derm today about laser treatments. They said microdermabrasion will do wonders on my type of scarring. They said i will need 3 to 5 treatments to get the best results.. I just want to know if microdermabrasion help anyone else with there scarring? Please let me know and help ):

Do you have actual atrophic scars, or just discolored acne spots? Discolored acne spots are not scars, and will go away on their own eventually, microdermabrasion can help this process.

For actual atrophic scars, microdermabrasion is a waste of money, it won't do anything for those.

I'm guessing if your doctor suggest microdermabrasion, then you probably don't have actual atrophic acne scars.

ihjhhhh

I have some boxing scarring on my cheeks and red spots from acne.. i have more red spots then indented scarring. Buti just really am focusing on getting rid of the indented scarring. they said microdermabrasion would really help to lift the scarring and make it smooth.. its going to cost like $1225 and there planing on doing 4-6 trearment. Thats ALOT of money so i just want to make sure its going to work..they gave me a paper explaing it and it says the type of laser there going to use is called "1540 fractional" i just really want to get something that will help):

I think you are a little bit confused, either that or I'm not understanding you correctly.

You are asking about microdermabrasion, but then you said the laser they are going to use is called the 1540 fractional.

Microdermabrasion isn't a laser.

You have the two mixed up.

Anyway, microderm won't do anything for your scars. Laser on the other hand may help.

Edited by sanjoseskin

yea, you need to clarify. is it microderms you're asking about or lasers?? they are 2 totally different things. if its microderms you're considering, i can tell you from my own personal experience that they dont help with scarring. i had a series of them done and was very disappointed with the outcome.

Do microderms remove skin you can't remove your self with say your finger nails? I keep getting layers of skin removed after applying cleanser but I don't know if its dead skin or layers that can be removed by microderms, it certainly feels like its the latter.

Don't do microdermabrasion. It won't do anything for your scars. If that is really your doctors advice, you should change your doctor.

Is Microdermabrasion good for indented/uneven skin texture? I have a mix of both scars (red marks) and uneven/indented skin in some places. My aesthetician recommended microdermabrasion to help make the skin texture more even and get rid off the unevenness. Those that have done microdermabrasion is that what your experience has been? To fix that issue? I'm so confused!!

What other ways are there to help with your uneven/indented skin tone????

Okay so i got confused.. They were saying that they wanted to do the 1540 fractional laser for the indented scares it is going to cost $1225 for 4 treatment. And they were sayingif i'm on a bugit and dont have that kind of money i should do Microdermabrasion. my bed sorry for getting you guy confused (: so pretty much i want to know if the 1540 fractional laser really do help boxing scarring, and maybe even the red marks. and now i dont even want to try the Microdermabrasion if its not going to help any. the way i see it is, if i'm going to spend that much money i want to get something that i'm going to see at least 60-70% inprovment

Okay so i got confused.. They were saying that they wanted to do the 1540 fractional laser for the indented scares it is going to cost $1225 for 4 treatment. And they were sayingif i'm on a bugit and dont have that kind of money i should do Microdermabrasion. my bed sorry for getting you guy confused (: so pretty much i want to know if the 1540 fractional laser really do help boxing scarring, and maybe even the red marks. and now i dont even want to try the Microdermabrasion if its not going to help any. the way i see it is, if i'm going to spend that much money i want to get something that i'm going to see at least 60-70% inprovment

Well this may sound bad but I just don't want you to be upset later. Your expectations are set too high. I don't know how severe your scars are, but if they are deep, then expecting 60-70 percent improvement from just one laser treat at that wavelength is not realistic. Even fractional C02 won't give you 70 percent improvement after just one treatment.

I think you should take more time to research all your options and set more realistic goals for now, that way you won't be sad later.

You posted a pic of yourself, but it might help if you post some upclose shots of your scarring, then we can get an idea of what type of scars you have and how deep, and we can give you better treatment advice.

Edited by sanjoseskin

Please, really do your research.

http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/topic208.html

Check that out before doing laser surgery. I highly recommend talking with your dermatologist, only working with someone you trust, is willing to care, and spend time with you.

In all honesty, I don't think we are fortunate or there is a special anything that will 100% fix our scarring and damage. No such technology at the moment. @ 50-70% improvement, I will do anything, pay any price but, its not without risks.

As you see in that link, that lady spent loads of money, and got more damage then she bargained for. That entire site is a support group for a community of people who were damaged by laser treatment.

WHat frustrates me so much about the site here is the negativity, the fact that some swear by success, and yet, no pics are posted in regard to laser. This makes me wonder if there was actual success, if it was just temporary or if it was some cosmetic group that made a random account to generate business and a buzz? Who knows?

Anyone know anything about VBeam laser? I've been told to get that done for my types of scars (Not microderma). I've given myself until this weekend is over to think about it but would really appreciate any feedback/comments from people who have done it (Good or Bad).

Microdermabrasion is a COMPLETE WASTE of money for scarring. I did it numerous times, with promises of miracles - and the woman who did it said, everytime I went back, "Oh, my gosh, this is doing wonders for you." She was a lovely person, and I think she wanted to believe it was making a difference. It did NOTHING. It might help SLIGHT imperfections - it will NEVER help scars.

Anyone know anything about VBeam laser? I've been told to get that done for my types of scars (Not microderma). I've given myself until this weekend is over to think about it but would really appreciate any feedback/comments from people who have done it (Good or Bad).

Vbeam is wonderful, but it doesn't do really do anything for atrophic scars.

I'm noticing a trend of people on this site referring to simple acne discolartion as scars. Acne red marks which fade over time and leave no atrophic or hypertrophic scars are not scars.

I'm assuming if your doctor suggested Vbeam, then you don't really have scars, instead you have acne discoloration such as red marks or hyperpigmentation. If this is the case, then vbeam will work wonders! However, if you do have true atrophic acne scars, then save your money, vbeam will not do anything magical to atrophic acne scars.

Vbeam treatments can be done at many different levels. The highest intense levels are the most successful but leave behind purpura. Purpura is a purple like bruising that can even last up to 2 months. Vbeam treatments that achieve purpura get the best results, but then again it leaves you brused for a while. Some people have reported scarring from the laser, I've never personally experienced that. I love vbeam, and If I could afford it, I'd get more treatments! Magicall all your red marks go away instantly!! YOu may need several treatments though, depending on how intense the settings are.

Vbeam is wonderful, but it doesn't do really do anything for atrophic scars.

I'm noticing a trend of people on this site referring to simple acne discolartion as scars. Acne red marks which fade over time and leave no atrophic or hypertrophic scars are not scars.

I'm assuming if your doctor suggested Vbeam, then you don't really have scars, instead you have acne discoloration such as red marks or hyperpigmentation. If this is the case, then vbeam will work wonders! However, if you do have true atrophic acne scars, then save your money, vbeam will not do anything magical to atrophic acne scars.

Vbeam treatments can be done at many different levels. The highest intense levels are the most successful but leave behind purpura. Purpura is a purple like bruising that can even last up to 2 months. Vbeam treatments that achieve purpura get the best results, but then again it leaves you brused for a while. Some people have reported scarring from the laser, I've never personally experienced that. I love vbeam, and If I could afford it, I'd get more treatments! Magicall all your red marks go away instantly!! YOu may need several treatments though, depending on how intense the settings are.

The reason is cause, dermatologists refer to it as scarring, and so, people freak out. I will say, even the slightest redness from pigment never seems to heal perfectly. The skin is never the same after cystic acne. FML. I honestly hate the idea of acutane but, had I been 13 again, I would have gone that route no problem.

I have the red marks left from the acne and have a few "atrophic scars" as a result of the cystic acne as well. I was researching vbeam and asking people about their experiences and it seems like when the redness fades it helps slightly with the indented/atrophic scarring.

Thanks for telling me about the purpuric vs regular vbeam. I will go conservative and do the regular vbeam since I can't afford to take time off work and risk bruising - wedding is in 3 months!!! EEK

Hi! I have had similar problems in the past dealing with acne scars particularly on my chin. I searched and searched for ways to make it go away and even the prescription I got from my dermatologist didn't quite to the trick. Finally, I discovered 2 products that are absolutely AMAZING!! The skin care line is called Artistry. They are one of the top 5 prestige brands in the world along with Estee Lauder, Clinque, Chanel, and Lancome. They sponsor the Miss America pageant and Sandra Bullock is a spokeswoman for them. Anyways, the two products are the Microdermabrasion kit (http://tinyurl.com/3v68rqd) paired with the Creme Luxury (http://tinyurl.com/3ll93ts). Everything is 180 day back guarantee so if it doesn't work, just send it back! Plus it's way cheaper than going in for an in-office microderm. I figured I'd give it a go and if it didn't work, I'd get my money back. This a a great testimonial. My friend's aunt installs custom kitchens and one day the vent fell and sliced open her face. She had to be rushed to emergency surgery and she was left with keloid type scarring. She thought she'd be scarred for the rest of her life, but she used luxury creme once the scar healed and 6 months later it was basically disappeared. I posted the pictures on my photobucket (http://tinyurl.com/3b8mg3j).

Sorry that was long but I do believe strongly in those products! Acne scars sucks!