Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artacry

Carrots and other "root" veggies? ? about pasta

I remember reading a post about sweet potatoes and carrots being beneficial for the skin on here a while ago. Are there any others that I should try eating...? Do potatoes do anything (I've always thought that they were pretty empty as far as nutrients went)?

I'm trying to change my diet to have less sugar, and I was just wonder what kind of veggies I can add in (I already eat leafy green ones).

On another note, what about pasta? Is it good or bad? I don't eat it often, but I was just wondering.

Sweet potatoes are my favorite. I eat 2 a day. They are good steamed, mashed, and with some cinnamon. Butternut squash is good too, but it takes more time to cook.

Just getting rid of sugar in my opinion, is not enough. Pasta has a high glycemic index which means it can spike your insulin levels quickly. this is not good for anyone and many have evidence that is causes acne. plus many also argue that grains cause internal problems that can lead to acne. look up posts on insulin resistance and glycemic index/load

Sweet potatoes are my favorite. I eat 2 a day. They are good steamed, mashed, and with some cinnamon. Butternut squash is good too, but it takes more time to cook.

Just getting rid of sugar in my opinion, is not enough. Pasta has a high glycemic index which means it can spike your insulin levels quickly. this is not good for anyone and many have evidence that is causes acne. plus many also argue that grains cause internal problems that can lead to acne. look up posts on insulin resistance and glycemic index/load

The Pasta that I get from Tesco actually says 'Low GI' on the packet. I only noticed it a couple of days ago. :-

Edited by matt f

Yeah, what they think is low GI is different than others. Plus if its that dreamfields stuff, it doesnt really work. plus the grains are still bad for you. Try no GI and eat lots of meat!!! Sweet potato fries are not so good usually because they are fried in unhealthy oils with lots of omega-6's that cause inflammation!!

You don't need to stick to only low Glycemic foods. You need to keep all meals, drinks, and snacks low to moderate glycemic load. don't binge eat.

I would not make pasta a big part of my diet, but that's about the refined grains, not the GI. You usually don't have the pasta by itself and it's the combination of the foods that matter. Also, overcooking it affects the GI. Al dente is not bad.

Do you have access to a microwave or stove where you can bake or steam sweet potatoes yourself? They are great for breakfast. Or lunch.

Thanks for all of the responses!

I've noticed that at our dining halls we have vegan/gluten free stations. These usually have whole grain pasta, so I've switched over to that when I get bored of fish/veggies/fruit/chicken and some other exceptions.

Also, I used to drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water each afternoon last year. What exactly does that do? I'm curious because I was told to do it, and my face was very clear all summer, but I'm not sure why haha.

As to the steaming sweet potatoes question, I do have access to both a microwave and an oven, but I have free dining at the halls, so I'd rather find solutions there.

Thanks for all of the responses!

I've noticed that at our dining halls we have vegan/gluten free stations. These usually have whole grain pasta, so I've switched over to that when I get bored of fish/veggies/fruit/chicken and some other exceptions.

Also, I used to drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water each afternoon last year. What exactly does that do? I'm curious because I was told to do it, and my face was very clear all summer, but I'm not sure why haha.

As to the steaming sweet potatoes question, I do have access to both a microwave and an oven, but I have free dining at the halls, so I'd rather find solutions there.

1) don't switch from fish, chicken and veggies to pasta very often. the pasta has no value. Be careful with gluten free options if it means refined processed faux foods.

2) ACV is good for digestion. You should do it before meals.

3) sweet potato issue - fine as long as you have good options in the food hall. Sweet potato fries are not a good option. I'm not saying you can't ever have them, but don't think you are doing something good. And some people need to be more strict than others.

Sweet potatoes and carrots are high in Vitamin A. From what I've read, I understand Accutane is some form of artificial Vitamin A.

Starting yesterday, I'm going to be eating a ton of carrots (I have more tolerance for them than for sweet potatoes, but sweet potatoes are higher in Vit. A) and see what happens. I don't really expect much though, nothing ever works.

Sweet potatoes and carrots are high in Vitamin A. From what I've read, I understand Accutane is some form of artificial Vitamin A.

Starting yesterday, I'm going to be eating a ton of carrots (I have more tolerance for them than for sweet potatoes, but sweet potatoes are higher in Vit. A) and see what happens. I don't really expect much though, nothing ever works.

I wouldn't really expect much either, except your palms to turn yellow-orange, considering Vitamin-A is fat-soluble and veggies aren't really known for their fat-content. Try eating it with some meat or fish and see how that works out.

I wouldn't really expect much either, except your palms to turn yellow-orange, considering Vitamin-A is fat-soluble and veggies aren't really known for their fat-content. Try eating it with some meat or fish and see how that works out.

Or olive oil. I eat my nearly daily sweet potatoes with cayenne pepper or spicy seasoned salt blend and olive oil.

There isn't actually any vitamin A in the carrots or sweet potatoes. There's beta carotene from which your body will convert to as much vitamin A as it needs and use the rest for antioxidant purposes.

for the record, i've been eating 2 a day for 3 months and my palms aren't orange. I have way better night vision though! sweet potatoes actually have something in them that helps insulin resistance. very beneficial. Just try it, they're good and they cant hurt. better than anything processed