Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thulsa Doom

Some advice on my scarring please

post-100595-1302025505_thumb.jpg

A little background: I had cystic acne of varying severity for several years, from about age 20-28. I am now 30 and acne-free (although you'll notice a zit on the right side of my face in the pics; it is, however, the first & only one I've had in a long time). Most of it was on my back, but I had enough on my face that it did leave scarring (most of which is from when I was about 20, so it's roughly 10 years old).

The lower left picture is the absolute worst I could get it to look, in terms of angle and lighting. Pretty nasty, I know. The lower right one is the same angle and lighting, just with the skin pulled back. Isn't it frustrating how simply pulling your skin tight can be the difference between ugly & handsome? I tried to "showcase" the left side, since it's definitely worse than the right.

I could tell you how much this has affected me psychologically, affected my self-esteem and ability to have normal relationships with girls, blah blah, but you can probably guess for yourself, so I'll spare you all that.

I've been over and over these boards reading about various treatments for a long time. Ultimately, though, it is nice to get feedback on the particular scars on your particular face, though. Quite a while back, I posted some pictures of my scarring & had asked for some advice. Since then I've done nothing about it. I have had no scar treatements done at all. Right now, though, I'm at the point where I'm really ready to do something about them. I'm just really sick of these damn things. I've got money to do it, and I'm planning on doing something probably this summer.

I've seen a couple of different doctors & they've told me different things. I've been looking into fractionated laser treatment lately, which is what the most recent one recommended. (I've also researched subcision, peels, etc. but this is just the one I'm really looking into right now.) I know there are different kinds. Would this be of any real help, and if so, what specific subtype of laser? Or would another technique be the way to go? My expectations are not to fully remove the scarring. But I'd be damn happy with say 50% improvement. At this point, any real improvement would make me feel a lot better (real improvement, though; none of this bullshit where it seems like it looks better - if you use your imagination).

Man, they really need to get their asses in gear and develop a really effective treatment for this. I mean, come on, people, this is the year 2011!

Anyway, thanks so much in advance for any feedback.

A little background: I had cystic acne of varying severity for several years, from about age 20-28. I am now 30 and acne-free (although you'll notice a zit on the right side of my face in the pics; it is, however, the first & only one I've had in a long time). Most of it was on my back, but I had enough on my face that it did leave scarring (most of which is from when I was about 20, so it's roughly 10 years old).

The lower left picture is the absolute worst I could get it to look, in terms of angle and lighting. Pretty nasty, I know. The lower right one is the same angle and lighting, just with the skin pulled back. Isn't it frustrating how simply pulling your skin tight can be the difference between ugly & handsome? I tried to "showcase" the left side, since it's definitely worse than the right.

I could tell you how much this has affected me psychologically, affected my self-esteem and ability to have normal relationships with girls, blah blah, but you can probably guess for yourself, so I'll spare you all that.

I've been over and over these boards reading about various treatments for a long time. Ultimately, though, it is nice to get feedback on the particular scars on your particular face, though. Quite a while back, I posted some pictures of my scarring & had asked for some advice. Since then I've done nothing about it. I have had no scar treatements done at all. Right now, though, I'm at the point where I'm really ready to do something about them. I'm just really sick of these damn things. I've got money to do it, and I'm planning on doing something probably this summer.

I've seen a couple of different doctors & they've told me different things. I've been looking into fractionated laser treatment lately, which is what the most recent one recommended. (I've also researched subcision, peels, etc. but this is just the one I'm really looking into right now.) I know there are different kinds. Would this be of any real help, and if so, what specific subtype of laser? Or would another technique be the way to go? My expectations are not to fully remove the scarring. But I'd be damn happy with say 50% improvement. At this point, any real improvement would make me feel a lot better (real improvement, though; none of this bullshit where it seems like it looks better - if you use your imagination).

Man, they really need to get their asses in gear and develop a really effective treatment for this. I mean, come on, people, this is the year 2011!

Anyway, thanks so much in advance for any feedback.

The first and only thing I would suggest for you right now is subcision followed by a filler. Probably for you, subcision with simultaneous fat transfer.

Don't waste your time with rollers or lasers or other stuff, trust me, just go to a doctor that is experienced in subcision. Your scars are ideal for that.

keep your head up, things will improve, but it will take many treatments and possibly a couple years.

One other thing, you seem thin. Try gaining some weight because this will fill out your face and give you a youthful appearance. As we age we lose fat in our face, and loss of facial fat actually ages us and makes scars look worse than they are.

Try adding good fats to your diet and take either Carlson's Very Finest fish oil liqued, or Carlson's elite omeg-3 capsules, or Nordic Naturals omega-3 products.

Edited by sanjoseskin

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, sanjose. It means a lot.

I had inquired about subcision with a couple of the doctors I've seen, but they essentially said either that it's something that sounds good in theory but rarely works in practice, or that my scarring was over too large of an area for it to be a good technique. Anyway, my experience with doctors while I still had acne was very poor, and I've come to the conclusion that most of them don't really know jackshit when it comes to acne / scarring. So the fact that they said it wouldn't work doesn't necessarily rule it out for me.

You're right, I'm naturally very lean. I'm about 5'10", 165-170 lbs. I have very little fat naturally, on my face especially. Of course, the fact that I had the camera so close to my head probably made my head look bigger in relation to my neck, thus making me look skinnier, though.

Do you have any recommendations for doctors that are really good with subcision (& fillers)? I don't mind paying a couple grand or whatever once or twice a year (I know fillers don't last indefinitely) if it means it'll look better. And at this point, I'll go anywhere in the US. I don't give a shit anymore. I just want improvement. The fact that it's temporary doesn't bother me.

Again, thank you for your feedback and kind words.

Edited by Thulsa Doom

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, sanjose. It means a lot.

I had inquired about subcision with a couple of the doctors I've seen, but they essentially said either that it's something that sounds good in theory but rarely works in practice, or that my scarring was over too large of an area for it to be a good technique. Anyway, my experience with doctors while I still had acne was very poor, and I've come to the conclusion that most of them don't really know jackshit when it comes to acne / scarring. So the fact that they said it wouldn't work doesn't necessarily rule it out for me.

You're right, I'm naturally very lean. I'm about 5'10", 165-170 lbs. I have very little fat naturally, on my face especially. Of course, the fact that I had the camera so close to my head probably made my head look bigger in relation to my neck, thus making me look skinnier, though.

Do you have any recommendations for doctors that are really good with subcision (& fillers)? I don't mind paying a couple grand or whatever once or twice a year (I know fillers don't last indefinitely) if it means it'll look better. And at this point, I'll go anywhere in the US. I don't give a shit anymore. I just want improvement. The fact that it's temporary doesn't bother me.

Again, thank you for your feedback and kind words.

First of all, which ever doctor told you subcision sounded good in theory but rarely works in practice has no clue what so ever what they are talking about. I would say out of all the procedures known on the face of this planet for acne scar revision, subcision is probably widely accepted by dermatologists to be the most effective scar treatment. You need to find a new doctor ASAP.

Subcision works, and works well, but isn't without side effects. Every procedure has possible side effects. Additionaly, don't expect a miracle with 1 or 2 treatments. You need to be in it for the long haul. Expect to give yourself several years to get good results. If I were your doctor, I would treat your smaller scars with subcision alone. Then that one larger area under your eye, I would undermine that entire area then inject centrifuged fat.

You will get good results, you just need a good doctor. No need to spend money traveling the country, there should be good doctors in your area. I suggest going to a University Hospital Dermatology department, but be careful sometimes students and residents work on you, but you have the right to say no.

You know I just looked at your pics again. I think that flat area under your eye can be undermined then injected with fat like I said. Then the other areas, they can be undermined and injected with something like Juvederm, you will probably get instant results that last a year, if you go that way. Your scars to me at least, are the perfect candidate for what I described, they would fill in beautiful with undermining and filler. You may not even need repeat undermining if you combine with filler.

Edited by sanjoseskin

Yeah, I only went once to the guy who said subcision was only good in theory.

I realize that all these procedures require time & usually multiple treatments & come with the risk of side effects, etc.

I (don't we all) wish that there was some "magic bullet" that would deliver quick, dramatic improvement, but I know no such thing exists. At least not yet.

Maybe I will look more in my area (Ohio) more. It's just that it's so hard to find anyone through an online search who does it. All they advertise online usually is lasers. I guess I'll email a few more people, though.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Any further advice from others would be appreciated as well.