Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JonnyUK

Not quite sure what is breaking me out?

Hi guys,

I've recently changed my diet a little bit and i am getting a lot (i mean big whiteheads) above my lip area nearly every single day and i think it might be something to do with the food i'm eating cos i usually get it on my right or left cheek.

My main concern is the 'Nature Paths Rice Crispy Cereal' because a lot of it is made from brown rice flour

Here are the ingredients

Brown Rice Flour (87%)*,Raw Cane Sugar* ,Molasses* ,Sea Salt ,*= All organically grown and processed

(http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260985870)

it says its wholegrain and gluten free but i dunno :/

Other things i start introducing to my diet are:

1) Hard Boiled Egg

2) Green Tea

3) Oatmeal (Quakers)

4) Tesco Free From pita bread (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258121012)

What do you guys think to the things im eating above? is there anything in particular that breaks u out?

Don't worry about the brown rice. It's one of the few grains that people can tolerate well and is unlikely to make you break out unless you're eating copious amounts of it. I'm anti-grain in general because cutting that out really virtually cleared my acne but brown rice is one grain I'm totally fine with.

The sugar is most likely your problem. And the molasses. Raw cane sugar or evaporated cane sugar is still sugar. But it certainly made you think it's somehow better for you, didn't it?

Sugar = acne in a LOT of people. There are other factors sure, but I think one of the best things anyone can do besides cutting out allergenic foods like grains/gluten, dairy and soy, is to limit intake of sugar. And when I say limit I mean imagine you're on Atkins, but instead of carbs you're limiting sugar (although they're technically the same thing, biologically speaking, but you get the gist.)

Eggs are .

Green tea is fine as long as there's nothing else added to it (some companies do this for some strange reason, read the labels on everything.)

-Oatmeal is another problem. Oats don't have gluten, but most oats become contaminated with gluten during processing. They are often sifted among other grains or other grains might be added to them in small amounts. Quaker oats in general are pretty crappy quality and you should probably just get another brand altogether if you absolutely must eat oatmeal.

-Pita has gluten in it.

You seem to be eating a lot of gluten-containing foods in addition to the sugar. Try cutting those out for a while (over 2 weeks) and see what happens. Also I'd recommend taking a probiotic, because gluten can really shred your intestinal walls.

Edited by chunkylard

I seem to be having a similiar problem too. I break out every day with some sort of red bump or welt. Some are even flat red spots. They dont seem to be pimple like with the typical whitehead in them. I also have a ton of milia type dots under my lip, and in the crease of my chin. I used to occasionally get these bumps and always had clogged pores but everyday they keep coming out. I changed my diet 6 months ago and now am pretty strick with what I eat. Lots of veggies, lean protein, gluten free foods and a limited number of grains. I stick mostly with quinoa, kamut, and millet and sometimes brown rice. I eat avocados, and hummus on gluten free Mary's Gone crackers. I did sneak several gluten free choc chip cookies in the last several days. I also ate two Kashi protein bars. Saturday night after washing my face I looked at myself like an hour or so later and saw two red hive like bumps next to each other on my lower jaw line. They dont itch and wouldnt have known they were there until I looked. I woke to more no my right jaw line in the morning. Same yesterday, but the old ones leave a red mark like an actual pimple so I'm not sure what that means. They are still slightly rasied today but are coverable..After washing last night I was fine and then bam!! A huge welt dead center on my cheek...Its a monster today even after applying everything I could get my hands on. I even dabbed my daughters steroid cream for her excema but its still very red..Can stress bring these on? Its been like this for a year but slowly its getting worse every day...I've lost over 30lbs on this diet and do not know what to eat. I had allergy testing done (the kind where they prick your skin with the actual allergen) and I came back negative for everything...Gluten, eggs, strawberries, nuts, almonds, pecans, milk..All the normal stuff. Is there more of a conclusive way to determine what is causing this? I have also been on spironolactone for a year and thats suppose to help with jawline acne...WTF....Im loosing hope very fast.

I seem to be having a similiar problem too. I break out every day with some sort of red bump or welt. Some are even flat red spots. They dont seem to be pimple like with the typical whitehead in them. I also have a ton of milia type dots under my lip, and in the crease of my chin. I used to occasionally get these bumps and always had clogged pores but everyday they keep coming out. I changed my diet 6 months ago and now am pretty strick with what I eat. Lots of veggies, lean protein, gluten free foods and a limited number of grains. I stick mostly with quinoa, kamut, and millet and sometimes brown rice. I eat avocados, and hummus on gluten free Mary's Gone crackers. I did sneak several gluten free choc chip cookies in the last several days. I also ate two Kashi protein bars. Saturday night after washing my face I looked at myself like an hour or so later and saw two red hive like bumps next to each other on my lower jaw line. They dont itch and wouldnt have known they were there until I looked. I woke to more no my right jaw line in the morning. Same yesterday, but the old ones leave a red mark like an actual pimple so I'm not sure what that means. They are still slightly rasied today but are coverable..After washing last night I was fine and then bam!! A huge welt dead center on my cheek...Its a monster today even after applying everything I could get my hands on. I even dabbed my daughters steroid cream for her excema but its still very red..Can stress bring these on? Its been like this for a year but slowly its getting worse every day...I've lost over 30lbs on this diet and do not know what to eat. I had allergy testing done (the kind where they prick your skin with the actual allergen) and I came back negative for everything...Gluten, eggs, strawberries, nuts, almonds, pecans, milk..All the normal stuff. Is there more of a conclusive way to determine what is causing this? I have also been on spironolactone for a year and thats suppose to help with jawline acne...WTF....Im loosing hope very fast.

Are you reading all the labels on everything. Those chocolate chip cookies can have copious amounts of sugar which absolutely 100% contributes to acne. Even the crackers (which I wouldn't recommend eating in the first place) can have added sugar and salt. Is all your meat and veggies organic and antibiotic-free and non-GMO? You sound like someone that could potentially benefit a lot from some probiotics.

I do take probiotics. In fact I just had my stool tested and I was positive for a parasite. I was especially low on bifidiofactor..My acidolpholus was okay...Could this all be from a parasite?

I do take probiotics. In fact I just had my stool tested and I was positive for a parasite. I was especially low on bifidiofactor..My acidolpholus was okay...Could this all be from a parasite?

Oh my. Keep up with those probiotics then. I'm not entirely sure, but in theory it's definitely possible especially if the parasite did any damage to your small intestinal wall.

Have you read this topic about Leaky Gut syndrome? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ACNE-DIET...LE-t101692.html

It's possible a major cause of your acne could be damage done to your gut. In which case, the only recommendations I could make are to limit meat, fish and definitely grains for a while, but keep eating plenty of green veggies and fruit. Also you may want to limit starchier veggies such as carrots and broccoli (and obviously potatoes) since they generally take longer to digest and are a bit harder on your body than something like a spinach leaf. (I know a great recipe for blended broccoli soup though and blended veggies/fruit are easier to digest than the actual whole vegetable/fruit.) In addition, maybe try drinking Aloe Vera juice. Lots of people use it for things like burns and scars, but even more people use it for healing the stomach and organs. It's also very anti-inflammatory.

Basically be very gentle on your gut for a while until the situation there improves and you can reintroduce those foods.

can you give me a sampling of the foods you eat? What is a typical day like for you?

Are you reading all the labels on everything. Those chocolate chip cookies can have copious amounts of sugar which absolutely 100% contributes to acne. Even the crackers (which I wouldn't recommend eating in the first place) can have added sugar and salt. Is all your meat and veggies organic and antibiotic-free and non-GMO? You sound like someone that could potentially benefit a lot from some probiotics.

You should mostly be eating foods that don't have labels. And if they do, they list only one ingredient.