Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chantal

Birth Control Pills that are good for acne.

Im not sure if this is the right section to post this. But I am curious as to if anyone knows what birth control pill brands are better for acne than others. I am currently on YAZ and it has not done anything to make it better, maybe because its high in testosterone? If anyone can give me some insight, it would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Yaz and Yasmin are supposed to be good for acne because they have an anti-testosterone component. Different birth controls work better for different people though. Ortho Tri-Cyclen is another one that is approved for acne. Estrostep is another one. Birth control usually is supposed to be effective in helping acne after about 3-4 months. Another option is adding spironolactone which is anti-androgen, that can really help. The anti-androgen in Yaz and Yasmin is fairly low so some women need more anti-androgen to get the effect. Spironolactone can take about 3-6 months to become effective, sometimes it gets a little worse before it gets better (grrr). Another suggestion is adding a topical treatment like retinoids or benzoyl peroxide. Adding topicals can be effective if the birth control alone isn't enough. A good moisturizer is needed in my experience with the topicals, my skin gets so dry!

I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo, and about 3 months after starting it I saw results.

I used to have horrible bacne that NOTHING would budge, but OTCLo Cleared it up COMPLETELY. I still get occasional breakouts on my face, but it is soooo much better than it was before I started the birth control.

Like the poster above me said, everyone reacts differently, so you'll just have to see what works for you. How long have you been on it, though? You definitely need to give it a good few months to start working.