Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icantthinkofaname

How often are YOU changing your pillowcase?

I have been acne free and finally off acne meds since 2006. I suffered from acne from the age of 13 or 14 all the way to 23. I still can say at the age of 28 I am suffering from it because I am susceptible to the breakout that can lower my self confidence. However I am asking all of you because I want to help. This is a small minor hint that can go a long way in helping you with your acne. I am not saying this is the cure or anything like that. I am not saying that if you do this you will never get a break out again. However, I am saying that this will SURELY help reduce breakouts or at least have you in more control in the battle for clear skin.

Let me also state that I know this has probably already been posted here or you have already been told this from some other source. However, suffering from acne myself in the past and really I can say up to this day I thought I would try to help any of you that are not doing this.

How often are YOU changing your pillowcase? I personally NEVER sleep on the same side of the pillowcase two nights in a row. I will put on a new pillowcase and sleep on it, the following night I will turn the pillowcase over, and then the following night I will again put on a new freshly cleaned pillowcase. This WILL help you. Like I said it will not cure your acne but it WILL help you stay on the winning side of the tough battle between clear skin and acne.

If you don't do this, I would strongly suggest you do. It can't hurt that's for sure. Try it for a month and if you were one of those that never changed your pillowcase then you will be surprised by the results.

Edited by Icantthinkofaname

I'm a bit obsessive with this, as I change them every single day. When buying multiple pillowcases I'd go with super soft ones and try not using fabric softener as well.

I hand wash my pillow cases in water so hot it's almost unbearable to touch, use less soap than recommended, and do quite a few rinses to ensure soap residue is gone. My detergent of choice is Arm and Hammer for sensitive skin.It says it rinses clean.

Come on people be honest with yourselves. How often do you change your pillowcase? You should never sleep on the same side twice. This is one of the easiest things to do that will definitely help you in the fight against acne.

Edited by Icantthinkofaname

Guest pokemonster

well what i do is switch the pillow side whenever i wash my hair n thats like once in 3 or so days, depending on how quick they become greasy. i dont rly make big deal out of pillowcases anymore bcz rly see no conection between face touching pillowcase or no (afterall theres allways blanket too anywayz n that would be troublesome to change it as well so often anywayz) anyhow if i ever apply something overnight i tend to wrap around face, paper tissue or toilet paper & bind it with somekinda ribbon or headband or whatev, just so that it holds there, its nonirritating for skin & also skin that way dont touch pillowcase or blanket at all so if anything u might try doing something like this too :T

well what i do is switch the pillow side whenever i wash my hair n thats like once in 3 or so days, depending on how quick they become greasy. i dont rly make big deal out of pillowcases anymore bcz rly see no conection between face touching pillowcase or no (afterall theres allways blanket too anywayz n that would be troublesome to change it as well so often anywayz) anyhow if i ever apply something overnight i tend to wrap around face, paper tissue or toilet paper & bind it with somekinda ribbon or headband or whatev, just so that it holds there, its nonirritating for skin & also skin that way dont touch pillowcase or blanket at all so if anything u might try doing something like this too :T

there is surely a connection with pillow case and acne. you are probably changing it frequently enough at 3 or so days as you say. keep the same pillow case on for a month and see what happens. i cant think of anything else that we put our faces against for as long as we do. in face i don't put my face against anything else besides my pillowcase. and most people sleep around 8 hours.

i don't know how you sleep but i know that my face never comes in contact with my blanket. lol

this is just a simple tip that WILL help people if they are NOT doing it.

Guest pokemonster

wellz i just dont stress about it anymore even if my faces does touch blanket or pillowcase now, but then again ofc i try to keep them clean or as i said before, paper wrap thingie.

i sleep a bit weird i spose, like i just cover head and everything with blanket, make kinda cave around myself and just leave little hole for breathing, nothing touches my face but sometimes if u change posture or whatev it may tho, i however dont bother anymore even if something touches skin, bcz again i honestly see no connection between breakouts n this, ofc if u leave same pillowcase for like month >.>' then yea maybe but nitpicking about every little detail wont help too imo

i think more importantly would be to dont let fe hair get greasy (if im lazy to wash all head, id just wash fringe (is that how its called?) that touches my face n thats it) and dont touch face randomly with unwashed hands or other dirty stuff, but thats rly all

how do u sleep that your face never gets in contact with blanket tho? :/ u probz live where very warm weather is, right?

honestly, once a week :silenced: ... but i at least rotate all the pillows on all sides so its not like im sleeping on the same pillow for a whole week

Maybe once or twice a month..? But I shower every night before I go to sleep.

I'll still get acne regardless of how many times I wash my pillow cases.

How do you remember what side you slept on anyway? I adjust my pillows so much during the night when I'm sleeping that my face probably comes in contact with every pillow on my bed.

Personally I'm better off NOT stressing out about my linens...

Maybe once or twice a month..? But I shower every night before I go to sleep.

I'll still get acne regardless of how many times I wash my pillow cases.

How do you remember what side you slept on anyway? I adjust my pillows so much during the night when I'm sleeping that my face probably comes in contact with every pillow on my bed.

Personally I'm better off NOT stressing out about my linens...

Well your oil and dead skin do layer onto your pillow case during the night when you sleep. If it's not a factor for you that's great, but I can see where it would cause issues for others (including me).

I also shower before getting into bed. My bed is definitely my sanctuary of clean =)

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I just don't understand why you don't just try changing it like I mentioned. It takes literally 10 seconds. Keeping track is easy. I am not talking about the side of the pillow case left to right. I am talking about flipping the pillow over. I have a fresh one on one night, the following night I flip the pillow over so it's fresh again, and then the following night I start over with a fresh one. So I change every other night.

It's not hard and it will only help you and not hurt you. I can't understand why people that are struggling with acne wouldn't want to try something so simple that will help you. I have been dealing with acne since I was 13 or 14 years old. I am now 28 years old. I know that this will help you. It doesn't matter if you wash your face right before you go to bed. I do as well. You still produce oil while you are sleeping. The pillowcase is the only thing that your face is in contact with throughout the day and not only is it in contact with your face, it's in contact with your face for a full 8 hours.

Try changing it like I do. Go with a fresh one on say a Monday night, Tuesday night flip the pillow over, and then Wednesday night go back with a fresh one. It's not like pillow cases cost hundreds of dollars. Just buy some more. This only takes 10 seconds to do and it can only help. I wouldn't make this post if I didn't think it helped at all.

I "change" my pillow cases about once a week (though sometimes I forget...). But I have two pillows so I have four sides. I used to not change them as often and only had one pillow but I realized I'm always putting gunk in my hair (like thermal protectants and whatnot). I agree it's not that much trouble but I still forget sometimes. :P

In which case (or if I'm lazy), I just lay a clean towel over my pillow instead.

An alternative to changing the actual pillowcase is just placing a towel over it. At least, that's what I do. Saves me from having to change pillowcases so frequently. Plus, I've got a lot more towels than pillowcases.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I have 5 pillows on my bed. I change all of them once a week (sunday) with my bed sheets. I rotate the pillows whenever I feel like it through the week.

When I wasn't changing my bed and pillows every week my acne was way worse def, not gonna lie.

Obviously I've tried it before to help my skin.. But like ashley said, It doesn't make much sense and just seems like a burden. Your own natural face oils aren't going to clog your pores once they're on your pillow anyway. And you're dead skin wont re attach itself to your face and clog your pores.

If I had big zits that pop on my pillowcases when I slept, then I would change them frequently just because of the gross factor. Since that's not the case I'm just going to leave my pillowcases alone.

I've done my own little test before where I went a whole week touching my cheeks with my hands as much as possible (and my cheeks are very much acne prone) I think I got one small pimple.. Which is normal for me.

Acne is too much of a stress as it is to pile more things on top of it to stress about...

Guest pokemonster

^ thats mao from darker than black there in your avatar!! and mao is ftw!!

anyways, u guys r making too big deal of those pillowcases? just be clean, clean hair, switch them once in some days, whatever u feel comfortable, dont marinate them for too long either n thats it? :shrug: i also agree to all who said having schedule about it will only be unecessary additional stress, so just be free about it?

I don't wash them at all. My mom washes them whenever she feels likes it(Once a month or so).

I go 1 week on one side, flip it and go 1 week on the other side, then rotatae pillows(I have 2 pillows on my bed) and repeat the process. Works like a charm.