Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kratos93

Dry, flakey skin = Acne clearing up?

In the past week I've noticed that the skin on my face is much more dry than it usually is, and it's sort of flakey around the mouth area. I was wondering if this means my acne is finally clearing up? The reason I think this is because I usually have really oily skin and I always thought that was the main cause of my acne. I'm 18 years old and I've never used any special products as I think it's just because of hormones, so i don't want to interfere as people say teenage acne goes away with time. My acne has been getting better for the past two years but very gradually, I don't usually get any spots these days it's just red marks around the cheek and mouth area. I also haven't changed my diet at all so that can't have anything to do with it.

It would be nice to here from some people who no longer have acne as I want to know if this means that it might actually be clearing up for good.

Thanks

Andy.

Kudos to you for not have interfered with your skin. Many of us who prolonged it could have learned from you. Where were you, man? lol.

I am not yet 100% clear, but each day is progress. From what it sounds like though I would say you are nearing the end because I used to be oily on my t-zone but that went away after many months of only using water. The only place I breakout now is on the chin which so happens to be the place I bombarded with topicals after getting a couple in the first place.

Have you tried washing every other day? The oils on the face are actually there for a reason and I believe that if left undisturbed on normal skin, they become beneficial. Continue to do what you do and not disturb it with harsh products and it will be sure to go away!

Ok, thanks for the info. How would you suggest I combat the dry skin? just a normal moisturizer from the shop or will I have to get something from a doctor?

I must admit though, having dry skin is so much easier, as I have college all day I usually have to keep wiping the oil off with a tissue or something (I know that's gross) lol. Still, if it's not good for my skin then I guess I will have to do something about it :)

Andy.

I don't recommend getting something from the doctor because they will push you to get a cleanser/topical too which will make things worse in my experience. But yeah, moisturizing is definitely far better than cleansing because cleansers tend to dry the skin. As long as you do not do something to dry/irritate your skin and instead help heal it with some moisture then I think it will be beneficial - too many people hurt the skin and wonder why their face turns red...

I am not even washing my face at all at the moment so I can not lead you to a specific moisturizer that would help. However do try to find something simple with not too many weird ingredients if you decide to get one. Do google searches and see if you find some moisturizers that people have used for a while and from less known smaller brand names as opposed to the big ones. The best moisturizer I remember using was aloe vera from the plant while on vacation.

For the dryness try to wash the face every other day. Maybe the dryness will become more balanced when not disturbed? I know my skin tone improves.

Edited by floatingrhythm

Just wondering guys, with regards to not washing your face with products but simply water - what's the transition like over time? Because my skinis fairly oily and shiny. When I wash in the morning its sparkling for like 2-3 hours but by mid-day-early evening there is a clear reflective shine that surrounds my upper cheeks, nose, and forehaed (i.e T-zone).

Would washing with simply water day and night and applying moisturizer after reduce oil production over the course of a few days/weeks? Because im quite curious as to how you've managed to go from oily to dry skin.

I'd take a dry patch right about now! My hormones would argue otherwise :(

Just wondering guys, with regards to not washing your face with products but simply water - what's the transition like over time? Because my skinis fairly oily and shiny. When I wash in the morning its sparkling for like 2-3 hours but by mid-day-early evening there is a clear reflective shine that surrounds my upper cheeks, nose, and forehaed (i.e T-zone).

Would washing with simply water day and night and applying moisturizer after reduce oil production over the course of a few days/weeks? Because im quite curious as to how you've managed to go from oily to dry skin.

I'd take a dry patch right about now! My hormones would argue otherwise :(

I guess it depends on what you're using to treat your acne at the moment. If you using products that make your skin dry, like regular soap, then your body will be producing more oil to compensate for it. Washing with water won't do any harm anyway, so it's worth giving it a go, and maybe just use a cleanser once every few days instead of everyday.

I've been using only water for 3 days now and my red marks have definitely faded so yeah I'd recommend you give it a try for a few days at least.